Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times

Advertisements

Lawyering up for a suspension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
It didnt fall on him only because he was holding it up. It didnt fall on anyone else either because he was holding it up.

Just heard from another child that it was a different child who broke it, it just happened to be my sons rear that finished it off.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
The sink was reported to the secretary on weds by two students as being loose and she said not to worry.

she said that he put the lives of 330 children in jeopardy as they coudlnt use the bathroom for 2 hours as the water was off. They could use the bathroom in the gym and the Kindergarten rooms as they are in different buildings. On the phone she told me the school was in lockdown which was NOT true.
Well all righty then! The lives of 330 children in JEOPARDY! The entire school on LOCKDOWN! OMG! The DRAMA!

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE ... they should have shored up the sink ON WEDNESDAY so that on this veritable DOOMSDAY of a Friday they didn't have this awful incident!

What kind of an IDIOT is this principal? I bet she's the type that likes to dress up and play office, right? The type that has no idea what is going on in the real world.

It's their fault for allowing the sink to deteriorate like that and, when it was reported, instead of FIXING IT, ignoring it!

I agree with everyone else. Your child does not deserve to be suspended. He is not the problem. The principal is using him as a scapegoat to detract attention away from HER poor management of the facilities.

THEY need to improve their maintenance response time so as not to "put 330 lives in jeopardy" and an entire school "on lockdown."

Sixth grade children cannot detach a PROPERLY INSTALLED AND MAINTAINED wall sink. At least not without a long, sustained, and noisy struggle (maybe including power tools) that in a well-supervised environment would not go unnoticed and would be stopped long before they finished the deed. Did you ask the principal why they obviously keep the bathroom poorly maintained and WHY they never even bothered to shore up the attachment of the sink when it was reported as being loose if they are so concerned about student safety?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-30-2010 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Lots of good advice here. If all else fails, also tell them that his teacher showed Cinderella to the class....that should do the trick.

ROFL!!!!! You are tooooo much!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Sixth grade children cannot detach a PROPERLY INSTALLED AND MAINTAINED wall sink.
You either have no children or have already forgotten what damage a 11-12 year old can do. We've all walked into public restrooms where doors are missing or the toilets are stopped up. How do you think it got that way?

As to the sink. If this situation occurred at home and the childs answers was "I was just sitting on it", do you really think the parent will say "Its OK, it was installed wrong and its not your fault". Lets be realistic here. My first question would be "Why were you sitting on the sink?
what part of it looks like a seat?

Thus

Quote:
..... it just happened to be my sons rear that finished it off.
He sat on it knowing it was loose. He got caught and others squeeled on him. Justice in schools needs to be swift while its fresh in everyones mind. It cant be like the real world where investigations may take a month or two.

The principal is the warden. Tell your kid you are going to move him to different school. Guarantee he'll see that as worse then the suspension. And probably the real truth will come out.

Quote:
It's their fault for allowing the sink to deteriorate like that and, when it was reported, instead of FIXING IT, ignoring it!
Building maintenence is like home maintenence. You take a look at it, stick it on a to do list and give it a priority of importance on that list. It was something minor when it was looked but some kid in a matter of a few days had to push it to its limits.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 AM

Look we have all leaned on sinks in bathrooms. But if that sink was loose and the school did nothing about it, then it fell on a child and injured the child, who would be at fault ; the school or the child?

For my particular son, being in the principals office with his mother was punishment enough for him. He is a child who never gets in trouble so any kind of talking to is enough.

But three day out of school suspension is way over the top. I did write to the diocese, and the principal. My son knows to stay away from sinks in future. This sink was loose from years and years of use and it finally gave away with my sons rear. In a normal situation nobody leaning on a sink should be able to take it away from the wall. Its just not possible,

Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 AM

93 posts, read 242,716 times
What is wrong with that principal?? Do you send your kid to school with plumber tools? That the principal believes the kid picked up the sink proves it was not securely in place and she had knowledge of the dangerous position the sink was in. Who would even think that a kid could go into a school bathroom and just remove the sink and not think something is wrong with that picture. And even if the kid wanted to remove the sink it would take more time that a quick bathroom break if it was in securely. Obviously kid was not there for long time...
I'd say this to her on Monday...kind of admitting fault...having a dangerous situation around those kids.

Sinks do not just come off the wall. Can't just lift a sink up that is in securely and could probably not lift one up and out even if it was slightly loose.

I used to work for a lawyer upstate. There was a case of a sink in a hotel coming off and injuring our client. We found other cases that if the sink comes off the business is at fault because basically sinks do not just come off and there was an expectation that the sink was secure!!! Our client too leaned on the sink but he did suffer injuries when it fell and cracked...Wish I could remember the case because walking into the principal's office with that and the unjust punishment to your child should end the matter.

This stinks for your kid to have this experience early on in his school years...I'd sure as heck want to take some action as well...There might be some kind of retribution for this outlandish reaction...I don't know myself...but you could threaten them with emotional distress Monday morning. The threat combined with the above fault arguments should end the matter. Then again, that principal seems unreasonable...Like another poster stated, take the district's phone number when you go...

Last edited by franaissance; 10-31-2010 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM

Does this school have "Zero Tolerance" rules??

Do you use your home sink as a seat (if it has a cabinet underneath, it doesnt count)?

But here's my question: Why was he leaning on the sink? Why did he have time to hang out in the washroom? Why wasn't he in class? Guys do not hang out in washrooms like girls do? Guys go in, do their business a leave. Time your kid at home, he'll usually be out within a minute or two.

There's more to this than your son is letting on. Almost every time you post, a new piece of information comes out.

Quote:
He is a child who never gets in trouble so any kind of talking to is enough.
Or this is the first time he got caught.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Does this school have "Zero Tolerance" rules??

Do you use your home sink as a seat (if it has a cabinet underneath, it doesnt count)?

But here's my question: Why was he leaning on the sink? Why did he have time to hang out in the washroom? Why wasn't he in class? Guys do not hang out in washrooms like girls do? Guys go in, do their business a leave. Time your kid at home, he'll usually be out within a minute or two.

There's more to this than your son is letting on. Almost every time you post, a new piece of information comes out.

Or this is the first time he got caught.
Hang on a sec. He does not get into trouble ; most of his teachers can vouch for that. He was in the bathroom with 5-6 other kids. Talking to them and leaning on the sink to face them like many people have done. It was bathroom time. It was inbetween class. This 6th grade.There was never an issue about why he wasnt in class ; there was no class to be in. They were chatting like many kids do in the bathroom. The sink was reported loose on Weds, there was no school on thursday and this happened at 11a on friday. I got a call at 2pm on friday. The kid got a huge fright, turned around, caught the sink to prevent anymore damage, sent for help and admitted to what happened. He did the right thing afterwords. In his 7 years at this school he has never ever been in the principals office or even gotten a demerit.

What I am mad about is that this is such a severe punishment. It was punishment enough for him to be in the office with the principal, then with his mother. The principal is giving the impression he did this on purpose. She actually said to him alone(before I got there) that he must have gotten under the sink and yanked it out of the wall. There is no way he did that ; other kids have said that he didnt do that at all.

What should the punishment be in your opinion? Most people incl teachers that I have spoken to yesterday have said that for suspension you need to injure another child or graffiti or something like this. This was a definate accident and accidents happen in schools all the time

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM

What was the punishment for the other kids involved in this situation?

Again Is there a Zero Tolerence rule in the school??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island