Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,234,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Anotehr child told him he had great reflexes. He did it very quickly.
Maybe the school is intimidated by his great reflexes? Doesn't sound realistic but who knows. I still don't think there should have been a suspension. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,216,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Read the link

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/B4C3EAD9-AA61-4430-A6C3-D389F6238700/89553/DiscCode2011.pdf (broken link)

Teachers are not the Judge nor the Jury. Teachers are not Police officers. Teachers are room monitors.

As to being a teacher at one time, yes I was. I taught Mathematics to LD students at the HS level. I also taught remedial mathematics at a local college. I started multiple after school tutoring programs that were staffed by volunteer staff (my first one was doctors from a local suffolk university). I have numerous awards from Suffolk and NYS. I had numerous newspaper articles. If you know anything, then you know I had some of the most difficult students. I didnt leave the field due to the students. I left due to the Daycare mentality of the parents.

As to the Policy. It does not matter if I support it or not. I dont advocate for or against the Policy. It doesnt matter if I or my child has read the Policy, once I've signed on ther dotted line for my child to be in that school I've affirmed my child will follow all the rules and accept the ramifications if not. Its the Policy for that school/district/county/city/etc.

Its an entry into the real world. The law is the law. You have a choice to follow it or not. And if you get caught for not following it then.................................
Okay fair enough. TY for the background. Sorry the parents drove you away. Sounds like you went above and beyond the call of duty.

However, please remember we are not on the NYC forum, so this policy, law, whatever, does not apply to us here on Long Island. Since you are from Suffolk, I shouldn't even have to say that it is irrelevant to the matter at hand. Why do you keep citing it?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
Since the OP is from Medford, here is the link to its code of conduct for the public schools:

http://pmschools.org/CodeOfConduct/c...orrections.pdf

Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,898 times
Quote:
Since the OP is from Medford, here is the link to its code of conduct for the public schools:

http://pmschools.org/CodeOfConduct/c...orrections.pdf

The OP also has her child in a parochial school so the code of conduct for public schools doesn't apply. In parochial schools, they can have/not have whatever rules they please and apply or not apply them at the whimsy of whoever is in charge at the moment.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
.....they can have/not have whatever rules they please and apply or not apply them at the whimsy of whoever is in charge at the moment.
All schools have a code of conduct. These codes are part of the foundation of these schools. We send kids to these schools for a better and stricter education. We expect these schools to set and hold higher standards than public schools. So to say that these schools make it up as they wish is like saying they set their standards very low.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,898 times
Quote:
All schools have a code of conduct. These codes are part of the foundation of these schools. We send kids to these schools for a better and stricter education. We expect these schools to set and hold higher standards than public schools. So to say that these schools make it up as they wish is like saying they set their standards very low.
I didn't say the parochial schools lack a code of conduct ---- of course they have a code of conduct. However, that code is enforced at will or at the whimsy of whoever is in charge at that particular moment. The OPs post is a prime example, my follow up post is another example.

They enforce the rules on a case-by-case basis. If you are a parent who is up the principal's butt or give a lot of money to the school/church, you can best believe your kid isn't going to get in trouble, no less suspended, and can get away with almost anything.

In parochial or catholic schools, they have no fear of being sued or having to answer to the state education dept in Albany because they don't have to follow state standards and their teachers don't have to be certified. If they're doing something you don't like or don't agree with, tough luck. Take your kid out of the school and put them somewhere else.

Don't think for a minute that your child is gett a "better and stricter education" than in a public school. That was the catholic or parochial school of old. Today, they are no better than public schools and the main difference is the uniform and the religion. Other than that? Nothing. I pulled my child out of catholic school and it was the best thing I ever could have done! The education is much, much better and well-rounded and they absolutely have a zero tolerance policy that they follow to the letter.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
..... having to answer to the state education ....
Here's some reading:

Archived: State Regulation of Private Schools - New York (http://www2.ed.gov/pubs/RegPrivSchl/newyork.html - broken link)

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/comm/choic...egprivschl.pdf

General Guidelines for Administrators:Manual for New Administrators of Nonpublic Schools:Handbooks and Manuals:Nonpublic Schools:NYSED

Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,768,815 times
Meeting with the principal today at 10. Hopefully she will squash his recoord and have him back tomorrow. If not then onto a lawyer we will go. I hate to go that route but I need to protect my child and show the negligence of the school.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM

40 posts, read 51,933 times
FYI that many kids could not be in danger or inconvenienced....there's got to be valves to shut off zones of water....basic plumbing....they're hyping this up...plain wrong

Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 AM

This thread needs to be closed since it continues under a new thread of "Suspension Stands".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island