Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,765,412 times

Advertisements

Hi there
My son goes to parochial school and he is in 6th grade. Yesterday he was suspended for 3 days. I am beyond furious. Let me give you the reason

He was leaning on a sink in the bathroom and it came off the wall. He bent down quickly to catch it, and then asked another child to get help. Thats it!!

The sink was reported to the secretary on weds by two students as being loose and she said not to worry. It was a complete accident. This is a child that has never ever been in trouble in school, never a discipline problem, always decent grades, works hard. Volunteers at school bowling, is in the school newspaper, goes out of his way to help other(even had a teacher call me to tell him to stop helping a child).
It happened at 11am and then principal called me at 2pm to tell me he was being suspended. When I got there she said that he put the lives of 330 children in jeopardy as they coudlnt use the bathroom for 2 hours as the water was off. They could use the bathroom in the gym and the Kindergarten rooms as they are in different buildings. On the phone she told me the school was in lockdown which was NOT true.

She said the punishment was not negotiable. He admitted to what he did and said he was leaning on it. Then later she asked him again and he got tongue tied and said he sat on it. When I got there I asked him to show me what he did and in no way was he sitting on it ; she witnessed that also. He said many many times it was an accident.

Amazing that two years ago a different child fractured a childs foot and never got suspended. Two weeks ago another child was doing nipple pinching on a child and got 5 days in house suspension. But my child who has never been in trouble gets a 3 days out of school suspension.

This is parochial school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,438,837 times
And that was another reason I pulled my child out of parochial school (the main reason was the lack of education and resources). At the school my daughter was in, 2 girls slapped and kicked a boy (you know where) and NOTHING happened to them because their parents were always up the principal's butt. Another time, a girl threatened to shoot another kid and actually drew a picture of herself with a gun and a a bullet travelling to the other kids' head. NOTHING happened to her at all.

Anyway, about your son? I would say forget the attorney. That's only going to cost you money and for what? By the time anything happens, the 3 day suspension will be over and your son will be back in school. The "incident" will not become a part of his "permanent record" and won't follow him to high school and college (contrary to what they want you to think).

What you CAN do is this:

Call the Diocese (if you're in a DofRC school) and speak to the person in charge of education. Tell them the story. Tell them you demand your son be permitted to return to school NOW and the "incident" be removed from his folder immediately. If they balk, tell them you're pulling your child out of the school and you will be sending him to another NON-diocese school. (trust me, they don't want to lose your tuition and other money as they are desperate for enrollment at this point).

Catholic Schools - drvc.org

I would bring him to school Monday morning as scheduled. If you have to call the Diocese office from your car, then do so. Be sure to make it clear you are NOT going to tolerate the nonsense this principal is dishing out.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,215,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
And that was another reason I pulled my child out of parochial school (the main reason was the lack of education and resources). At the school my daughter was in, 2 girls slapped and kicked a boy (you know where) and NOTHING happened to them because their parents were always up the principal's butt. Another time, a girl threatened to shoot another kid and actually drew a picture of herself with a gun and a a bullet travelling to the other kids' head. NOTHING happened to her at all.

Anyway, about your son? I would say forget the attorney. That's only going to cost you money and for what? By the time anything happens, the 3 day suspension will be over and your son will be back in school. The "incident" will not become a part of his "permanent record" and won't follow him to high school and college (contrary to what they want you to think).

What you CAN do is this:

Call the Diocese (if you're in a DofRC school) and speak to the person in charge of education. Tell them the story. Tell them you demand your son be permitted to return to school NOW and the "incident" be removed from his folder immediately. If they balk, tell them you're pulling your child out of the school and you will be sending him to another NON-diocese school. (trust me, they don't want to lose your tuition and other money as they are desperate for enrollment at this point).

Catholic Schools - drvc.org

I would bring him to school Monday morning as scheduled. If you have to call the Diocese office from your car, then do so. Be sure to make it clear you are NOT going to tolerate the nonsense this principal is dishing out.
excellent advice. You may also want to mention that your child could have been injured by the sink !

Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,752,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
My son goes to parochial school and he is in 6th grade. Yesterday he was suspended for 3 days. I am beyond furious. Let me give you the reason

He was leaning on a sink in the bathroom and it came off the wall. He bent down quickly to catch it, and then asked another child to get help. Thats it!!

The sink was reported to the secretary on weds by two students as being loose and she said not to worry. It was a complete accident. This is a child that has never ever been in trouble in school, never a discipline problem, always decent grades, works hard. Volunteers at school bowling, is in the school newspaper, goes out of his way to help other(even had a teacher call me to tell him to stop helping a child).
It happened at 11am and then principal called me at 2pm to tell me he was being suspended. When I got there she said that he put the lives of 330 children in jeopardy as they coudlnt use the bathroom for 2 hours as the water was off. They could use the bathroom in the gym and the Kindergarten rooms as they are in different buildings. On the phone she told me the school was in lockdown which was NOT true.

She said the punishment was not negotiable. He admitted to what he did and said he was leaning on it. Then later she asked him again and he got tongue tied and said he sat on it. When I got there I asked him to show me what he did and in no way was he sitting on it ; she witnessed that also. He said many many times it was an accident.

Amazing that two years ago a different child fractured a childs foot and never got suspended. Two weeks ago another child was doing nipple pinching on a child and got 5 days in house suspension. But my child who has never been in trouble gets a 3 days out of school suspension.

This is parochial school.

If there is written documentation that the sink was already loose, I'd sue. No, excuse why that sink wasn't repaired in a timely manner. What if it fell while a student like your son was just washing his hands. Get a lawyer and a better school.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
excellent advice. You may also want to mention that your child could have been injured by the sink !
Absolutely!!! Especially since it had been reported TWICE to the secretary already! She should say her son is now suffering back/neck pains due to him trying to hold up the sink! LOL!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
If there is written documentation that the sink was already loose, I'd sue. No, excuse why that sink wasn't repaired in a timely manner. What if it fell while a student like your son was just washing his hands. Get a lawyer and a better school.
In my previous post (saying to tell them her son is suffering pain), I was just kidding --- even though she could use that an an "Ace" in the event they keep being jackholes about the situation.

In her (true) case, she can't sue. What is she suing for? The sink didn't fall on him.. You can't sue for a "what if".

I do agree, however, that she should find a better school with a principal with common sense.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,765,412 times
I wrote to the super for education along with the super for elementary education for rockville centre. Also sent the letter to the principal registered so I know they get it.

i am furious. He did hurt his arms holding it up. I dont know if it is written documentation ; any child I asked yesterday all agreed that the sinks were loose and did say that two boys reported it to the secretary.

I now find out that the principal told my son that he would have to be underneath the sink yanking at it to have it come off ; it was only the two of them in the office before I got there. Then when i asked him to show me what he did, he leant on it. There is no way in this world he was under a sink trying to yank it off. From my other sons words ; all the kids lean on the sink.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,582,375 times
Take him to the doctor today. Get a note. Get the names of the kids who reported it loose and ask the parents if their kids remember reporting it. Ask them if they will verify with the school - nicely explain to them the situation and you want to make sure your son can go to school on MOnday.

You can be sure that the people whose kids didn't get punished are either big donors, on the PTO, Home-School Association, or what have you.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM

311 posts, read 1,016,391 times
Lots of good advice here. If all else fails, also tell them that his teacher showed Cinderella to the class....that should do the trick.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,752,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
In my previous post (saying to tell them her son is suffering pain), I was just kidding --- even though she could use that an an "Ace" in the event they keep being jackholes about the situation.

In her (true) case, she can't sue. What is she suing for? The sink didn't fall on him.. You can't sue for a "what if".

I do agree, however, that she should find a better school with a principal with common sense.

You're right. I was being obnoxious because I feel it was wrong that the school suspended her son because they had faulty equipment. I can understand why she is livid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island