Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 34,462 times

Advertisements

I am sitting in a 7-11 parking lot on Jericho Turnpike sipping some fresh brew when a minivan with three people parks near the curb next to the parking lot.

Two young girls in their mid teens pop out and run across three lanes to the center divider where they remove about a half dozen political signs that were placed there. I could not see who the signs were touting.

Squealing with joy the girls remove the signs and run back to the man in the minivan. The van speeds off as if it were a getaway car in a bank robbery.

Should this man be proud of himself for teaching these girls how to commit larceny and how to show contempt for our political system?

My beef has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with a parent teaching children how to be thieving disrespectful citizens. I wish I could have caught his license plate because I would have reported the theft to the police and acted as a witness if required.

I'll tell ya, I have had it up to here with adults in today's society. Many of you complain about the lack of respect displayed by our youth.

Gee, I wonder how they got that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 PM

372 posts, read 738,211 times
I dont think those signs are legal anyway... I often see police offices removing the signs

...but I agree with you on the parenting thing

Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,302,182 times
I do not agree with theft or bad parenting, however, yeah you don't really know the circumstances of the signs. Most are illegal as the previous poster said. Maybe that man is an off-duty cop and was instructed to remove the signs by the police department. I mean I think without completely knowing the facts about them and the signs and what-not, I don't think you can really judge the situation.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 AM

162 posts, read 382,329 times
i hate those signs, i praise who ever removes them. who ever put those illegal signs there are the bad parents

Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,940,055 times
How do you know the man is their father?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 AM

939 posts, read 2,305,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Maybe that man is an off-duty cop and was instructed to remove the signs by the police department.
lol... what? really?

"ok officer... here's your next assignment, on your day off, go around collecting illegal signs with your daughters... oh and make sure they run across traffic lanes to get them"

Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 AM

19,098 posts, read 16,918,205 times
Definitely a bad value to teach, now if they could do that the day after the election I would be most appreciative....

Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 AM

342 posts, read 1,090,874 times
You don't know the circumstances of the sign removal. Political signs have to be registered and each sign has to have printed on it who paid for it. In this political environment there are many groups that are printing signs, putting them up and not registering or telling who paid for them. The process of having one campaign identify and complain about the illegal signs is long and nothing really gets done in time. “In time” being defined as "before election day." If a sign is "illegal" i.e., has no markings on it that it was registered and who paid for it, it is quite within any ones right to take it down. So, in fact that "father" might not have been teaching his kids to steal. He might have been sent out by one of the legitimate campaigns to take down the illegal signs. In that case, this parent was teaching his kids to get involved; to not just throw up their hands and say, "There's nothing I can do". This parent might have been teaching his kids to do the right thing. OTOH, he might have been removing legitimate signs because he was on the "other side". In that case, he was doing something illegal. Again, you can't really know.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,075,803 times
What candidate were the signs for?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,661,810 times
I have to agree, if the signs were on public property, then removing illegal signs is not stealing. If they were on private property then it would be theft. Allowing children to run across traffic lanes to remove them is criminally idiotic however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island