Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 AM

167 posts, read 382,354 times
The past is the past. The bottom line is Nassau spends more than it brings in and already has some of the highest taxes in the nation. No one has been able to fix the problems but at the same time Mangano cannot sweep it under the rug much longer. If he borrows to finance the budget, then he is just pulling a "Gullotta" and we will find a bigger mess down the road. If he raises taxes, he will be man"gone"o. Right now he is just shifting the cost to local school districts and utilities, which will in turn cause higher taxes for homeowners anyway. At my old job we called this "pencil &%$%$##"

To be fair, he's tried a few cost saving measures, but he needs to go much, much further to achieve the savings needed to bring this county into financial balance. Privatizing LI Bus completely and sending the MTA a message that LI is not their whipping boy would be a good start. Then shrink gov't down to a level that reflects the amount of money we take in. Businesses and residents alike would feel much more optimistic about LI and our kids future were this to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
The past is the past. The bottom line is Nassau spends more than it brings in and already has some of the highest taxes in the nation. No one has been able to fix the problems but at the same time Mangano cannot sweep it under the rug much longer. If he borrows to finance the budget, then he is just pulling a "Gullotta" and we will find a bigger mess down the road. If he raises taxes, he will be man"gone"o. Right now he is just shifting the cost to local school districts and utilities, which will in turn cause higher taxes for homeowners anyway. At my old job we called this "pencil &%$%$##"

To be fair, he's tried a few cost saving measures, but he needs to go much, much further to achieve the savings needed to bring this county into financial balance. Privatizing LI Bus completely and sending the MTA a message that LI is not their whipping boy would be a good start. Then shrink gov't down to a level that reflects the amount of money we take in. Businesses and residents alike would feel much more optimistic about LI and our kids future were this to happen.
That's exactly what it is. A numbers game and moving money around to conceal how it's coming out of our pockets. Purely a political move, and unfortunately probably a smart one, so that sometime down the road he can say "well I didn't raise property taxes!"

Most people don't think enough to realize they're still paying more anyway. Most people also don't realize that the average Nassau County portion of their tax bill amounts to less than $1,000 a year.....so even if Mangano raised taxes a ludicrous 20% most people would hardly feel that $200 out of their overall $10,000+ expense. Look at the last election, Suozzi got voted out because people thought school taxes were too high! The County Exec has nothing at all to do with that - or for that matter, nothing to do with 90% of their property taxes, period. I'm not sure if Mangano even realized this when he ran for office considering all his talk about the assessment system and somehow magically tearing up union contracts.

I do give him credit for trying to stick to his promises and attacking this from different angles, but honestly I think it's been kind of embarrassing for him so far. So many of his moves have showed a major lack of understanding for what his position is and how it works. Still plenty of time to change my mind, and like I do like his tenacity. We'll just have to wait and see...

Old 11-07-2010, 12:29 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,367,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That's exactly what it is. A numbers game and moving money around to conceal how it's coming out of our pockets. Purely a political move, and unfortunately probably a smart one, so that sometime down the road he can say "well I didn't raise property taxes!"

Most people don't think enough to realize they're still paying more anyway. Most people also don't realize that the average Nassau County portion of their tax bill amounts to less than $1,000 a year.....so even if Mangano raised taxes a ludicrous 20% most people would hardly feel that $200 out of their overall $10,000+ expense. Look at the last election, Suozzi got voted out because people thought school taxes were too high! The County Exec has nothing at all to do with that - or for that matter, nothing to do with 90% of their property taxes, period. I'm not sure if Mangano even realized this when he ran for office considering all his talk about the assessment system and somehow magically tearing up union contracts.

I do give him credit for trying to stick to his promises and attacking this from different angles, but honestly I think it's been kind of embarrassing for him so far. So many of his moves have showed a major lack of understanding for what his position is and how it works. Still plenty of time to change my mind, and like I do like his tenacity. We'll just have to wait and see...

I'm sure Mangano realized it when he was running for office. Keep in mind he was in the Legislature since 1996, so he had to have an idea of how these things worked. He simply knew it was an issue many voters didn't understand how it worked, knew most voters did not know the County Executive has nothing to do with School taxes so he used it to his advantage in order to get elected.

As horrible as the whole lets try to confuse the voters and use misconceptions about the tax system to our advantage thing is, I certainly hope that was his thought process. If someone who was in County government for 14 years and is now in charge of it truly didn't know how this worked, we are in much more trouble then we think.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Actually the income for property tax for 2009 was 37.6% and the property tax was 30.6% in a very bad economy. The County share of the NY State sales tax is around 4.2 %. The obvious solution should be to pay your bill rather than to take out a loan but that is not poltically acceptable. The end result is to raise your taxes next year at an increased rate because of the increased interest rate.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm sure Mangano realized it when he was running for office. Keep in mind he was in the Legislature since 1996, so he had to have an idea of how these things worked. He simply knew it was an issue many voters didn't understand how it worked, knew most voters did not know the County Executive has nothing to do with School taxes so he used it to his advantage in order to get elected.

As horrible as the whole lets try to confuse the voters and use misconceptions about the tax system to our advantage thing is, I certainly hope that was his thought process. If someone who was in County government for 14 years and is now in charge of it truly didn't know how this worked, we are in much more trouble then we think.

Funny, but one of the hallmarks of Suozzi's various campaigns was how he was going to help fix the school property tax mess. I'm guessing that Suozzi knew full well that the County Executive had no control over school taxes, but he managed to use it his advantage. Seems like Mr. Mangano learned his tactic from the other side of the aisle.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Correction:

Actually the income from sales tax receipts for 2009 was 37.6% and the property tax was 30.6% in a very bad economy. The County share of the NY State sales tax is around 4.2 %. The obvious solution should be to pay your bill rather than to take out a loan but that is not poltically acceptable. The end result is to raise your taxes next year at an increased rate because of the increased interest rate.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...mplete_Rpt.pdf

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,367,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Funny, but one of the hallmarks of Suozzi's various campaigns was how he was going to help fix the school property tax mess. I'm guessing that Suozzi knew full well that the County Executive had no control over school taxes, but he managed to use it his advantage. Seems like Mr. Mangano learned his tactic from the other side of the aisle.
Not exactly. Suozzi did speak about helping school property taxes, but not through actions as County Executive, but pushing for consolidation and working with Albany on that. Now none of it ever materialized, but when Suozzi spoke of how to ease the school tax burden he actually spoke about what would need to be done to achieve it, rather than portray that the county executive was responsible for school taxes or the school districts.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 AM

939 posts, read 1,840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not exactly. Suozzi did speak about helping school property taxes, but not through actions as County Executive, but pushing for consolidation and working with Albany on that. Now none of it ever materialized, but when Suozzi spoke of how to ease the school tax burden he actually spoke about what would need to be done to achieve it, rather than portray that the county executive was responsible for school taxes or the school districts.
Interesting how hindsight can be so selective. As county executive, Suozzi interjected himself directly into the attempt to control school taxes. He actively sought to have the county (in the form of BOCES) act as the consolidator. It was a whole lot more than just talk.

Also interesting is how everyone is ready to jump all over Mangano, who has been in office for a total of 10 months. It took Suozzi 8 years to wreck the county's finances, even with help from NIFA and massive tax hikes. Mangano deserves the same consideration that Suozzi got in his first year in office.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 AM

He had a choice to either reduce spending or increase taxes, instead he chose to borrow. Cooler heads prevailed and he reduced his original request for $364 M to $135 M mostly at the request of his own comptroller.

His initial campaign pledge was to have a solution to the tax certiorari and fix the assessment system, his panel of experts were supposed to have a report back in June. Now he ends up firing his Assessor and still no solution other than to add more tax to school districts and charities, maybe this is his plan.

He's only 10 months into his term but overall he really seems out of his league.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,727,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
to add more tax to school districts and charities, maybe this is his plan.
School districts are big business and a monopoly imho. A large percentage of charities are run like businesses, benefiting the founders/employees of the charity more than anyone else..People hear the word "charity" and assume they are all benevolent businesses (some are, most technically aren't). Most are actually a form of a corporation (or partnership) that receive massive taxpayer subsidies and give a small portion of overall revenue to the needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island