Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,098,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
If it was a raccoon, rat or other large rodent, I dont think anyone would have a problem calling animal control. Why is it different for cats? is it because they are cute? lol
Next time you make assumptions, make sure they're correct. I personally used to help relocate possum, and raccoons from highly populated areas to more suitable ones. I also have no problems with mice or rats so next time ask me. Don't try to speak for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Feral cats are a nuisance animal that is extremely destructive to the bird and small mammal populations.
That can be said for almost every animal in the food chain so your bias is showing. Your poor use of the english language is also apparent.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,153,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That can be said for almost every animal in the food chain so your bias is showing. Your poor use of the english language is also apparent.
There is no species of animal more destructive than humans!
I too would have fed the ferals. But the humane thing to do is to find someone to help you trap, spay/neuter and release.
All the organizations that everyone has mentioned are good ones.

Did anyone mention the Long Island Cat Project? http://www.licp.org/about_us.html
They have all the resources necessary for TSR

Good Luck (and do NOT call animal care).

Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM

456 posts, read 1,424,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
There is no species of animal more destructive than humans!
I too would have fed the ferals. But the humane thing to do is to find someone to help you trap, spay/neuter and release.
All the organizations that everyone has mentioned are good ones.

Did anyone mention the Long Island Cat Project? Long Island Cat Project - Helping Feral Cats on Long Island
They have all the resources necessary for TSR

Good Luck (and do NOT call animal care).
Okay, then I have a solution: feed the destructive humans to the ferals, and the ferals will stop eating our chipmunks. It's a win-win for everyone!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:28 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,464,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Feral cats aren't treated the same as other animals. People don't leave food and towels out for other creatures to feed on and bed in.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,386,791 times
1. Cats belong indoors.

2. Feral cats exist because some humans are irresponsible and allow their cats outdoors without having been spayed or neutered or just lose interest in their pets and abandon them outside.

To really fix the feral problem, cats need to be re-classified as pets and 'leash' laws should be created same as for dogs. As long as cats are classified as property and allowed to roam as they will cats will go wild and reproduce, producing feral cats. TNR does not work if people continue to dump and abandon their pet cats. It's like trying to bail out a boat without closing the gaping hole in the bottom!

Feral cats and 'outdoor' cats are predatory and do decimate bird and rodent populations. For invasive bird species, like the starling and rodents like the norway rat - that's great. However until ferals can be trained to eat only invasive species, they do damage native species - which do not need the extra pressure on their numbers.

I love cats and I have 4 of them myself. I also love birds. Two of my cats are rehabilitated feral cats. One I can touch, one I can't. NONE of my cats go outdoors to bother neighbors or prey on other animals.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Feral cats aren't treated the same as other animals. People don't leave food and towels out for other creatures to feed on and bed in.
They aren't? People don't put up birdhouses and bird baths or feed squirrels? The only difference is that feral cats can become domestics whereas squirrels, raccoons,rabbits and most birds can't or shouldn't be brought in and/or caged. My wife and I saved a few ferals a few years back and brought the mother cat inside while pregnant during the winter and than had her and her kittens fixed. She would only stay inside a little while at a time. Eventually over the course of about a year, she became a full time inside cat after getting used to it. Now her and the 2 kittens live with my sister in law. This goes back about 6 years.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,331,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
1. Cats belong indoors.

2. Feral cats exist because some humans are irresponsible and allow their cats outdoors without having been spayed or neutered or just lose interest in their pets and abandon them outside.

To really fix the feral problem, cats need to be re-classified as pets and 'leash' laws should be created same as for dogs. As long as cats are classified as property and allowed to roam as they will cats will go wild and reproduce, producing feral cats. TNR does not work if people continue to dump and abandon their pet cats. It's like trying to bail out a boat without closing the gaping hole in the bottom!

Feral cats and 'outdoor' cats are predatory and do decimate bird and rodent populations. For invasive bird species, like the starling and rodents like the norway rat - that's great. However until ferals can be trained to eat only invasive species, they do damage native species - which do not need the extra pressure on their numbers.

I love cats and I have 4 of them myself. I also love birds. Two of my cats are rehabilitated feral cats. One I can touch, one I can't. NONE of my cats go outdoors to bother neighbors or prey on other animals.

Everything you said here is 100% correct.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,098,102 times
Stay on topic.. this is not a thread about whether feral cats or good or bad for the area.

Where to get the feral cats spayed/neutered is the question

Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,064,923 times
I found out that Last Hope has been helping at my office location (see post by G2B for their website)
You didn't give your location - remember that most of these organizations are manned primarily by volunteers and the distance they can/will travel is naturally limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island