Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM

23,911 posts, read 32,232,721 times

Advertisements

I am formerly from Stony Brook - the 3 Village District.
The schools were wonderful and lived up to their reputation.
We now live in Wilkes Barre PA and both of my children are enrolled in Holy Redeemer HS.
We are Christian but not Roman Catholic.We attend our own church on Sunday.
I an very impressed with Redeemer, but my impression of the public schools available to me as well as the kids attending them was not a good one.
Kids were walking around with their pants all the way down their butts - the language was course and the students did not look like they came from families who shared our values.

I also like it that the school they attend requires students to perform community service.
And the uniforms do make my life more simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:26 PM

23,911 posts, read 32,232,721 times
The state average in any state is not that good.
It takes in inner city schools as well as back woods country schools.
Both types of schools are not good.

Longwood if compared to it's peers - i.e. SUBURBAN schools - would not rank highly in the scheme of things.

I personally would not send my children to Longwood, William Floyd, Bay Shore, Brentwood, Middle Country, Riverhead , Sachem or PAT - MED in Suffolk County.

Or to Valley Stream, Floral Park, or any of the South Shore western Nassau schools.

Call me a snob!
Thank you! I do agree!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,768,815 times
Called the diocese again today. To date I have e-mailed them, sent a registered letter, called yesterday and called again today. Todays story was that the super in charge of the school wont be in til friday and that is the earliest she can call me back.

This is not good for the Catholic church here which is Rockville Centre. I guess I will be heading to public after all.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:57 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,951,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Called the diocese again today. To date I have e-mailed them, sent a registered letter, called yesterday and called again today. Todays story was that the super in charge of the school wont be in til friday and that is the earliest she can call me back.

This is not good for the Catholic church here which is Rockville Centre. I guess I will be heading to public after all.

Honestly, they probably are just blowing you off and don't really care. You already paid them, and once you pull your kid out someone else will put theirs in.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM

496 posts, read 1,248,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Honestly, they probably are just blowing you off and don't really care. You already paid them, and once you pull your kid out someone else will put theirs in.
not necessarily. parochial schools are suffering as it is due to low enrollment and weak fundraisers. but i do hope the OP does not resort to leaving the school without trying to get to the bottom of this. It's not about sending a message, it's more about the unfairness of the situation. If the sink has been reported as loose days prior to the accident, and if no one has witnessed the child taking the sink out on purpose, then the punishment is way off base. there should not be a punishment.
i doubt the diocese will do anything. usually, per their track record, they do not side with the parent.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM

40 posts, read 51,933 times
Its a sink, in a school...they are designed/installed differently than a standard residential sink. Unless your kid was jumping on it its highly unlikely that he damaged it. You should force them to provide proof that it was damaged, I would go as far as reaching out to the manufacturer of the sink. They can provide a submittal which provides details for its installation. I would question if it was even installed correctly in the first place. At the end of the day, you pay good money for these schools...its not about religion or education...this is a business they are running...and you are the customer....

As far as NeilVA, I dont agree with anything this person says....your child shouldn't be punished period...I would DEFINITELY withdraw my kid...in a heartbeat...These private schools are a joke...I can tell you from first hand experience, there is not a significant benefit other than the parents thinking they are doing the right thing for their kids. Some of the worst things I learned in my younger years where during the years my parents placed me in a private school. Some people just let the uniforms, bibles and crosses on the walls provide them a false sense of security.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,898 times
I really thought I wasn't going to respond on this thread anymore but I just read the OPs latest post and have to respond.

Dorothy --- they are doing their usual for the diocese and the schools; they are brushing you off in the hopes you'll lose steam and go away. Today is Wednesday and the final day of your son's suspension. Tomorrow, he has to go back to school and play "catch-up" on his studies, homework, etc. not to mention answer a million Qs from curious classmates about his "crime and punishment".

The prinicpal got what she wanted (the punishment). The diocese got what they wanted (your money). Nothing is left for them to talk to you about.

I stand by my original advice of taking him and his brother OUT of that school NOW. When you walk away with your checkbook, fundraising money, uniform money, and everything else, maybe they'll realize the mistake they made. Put them in a non diocese public school so they don't continue getting your money. If that's not feasable right now, put them in a public school. They will be fine there (believe me, public school is not a crime and drug ridden hellhole where your children will be beaten up by other students and have their stuff stolen and be berated and harassed by teachers!).

"Going public" with your story is going to do what?? I know News 12 has nothing to report on, but I don't think even they would take this story because it's not newsworthy and it's not a human interest story.

The very best thing you can do is to take your money and walk. Bottom line.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,216,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1080 View Post
Its a sink, in a school...they are designed/installed differently than a standard residential sink. Unless your kid was jumping on it its highly unlikely that he damaged it. You should force them to provide proof that it was damaged, I would go as far as reaching out to the manufacturer of the sink. They can provide a submittal which provides details for its installation. I would question if it was even installed correctly in the first place. At the end of the day, you pay good money for these schools...its not about religion or education...this is a business they are running...and you are the customer....

As far as NeilVA, I dont agree with anything this person says....your child shouldn't be punished period...I would DEFINITELY withdraw my kid...in a heartbeat...These private schools are a joke...I can tell you from first hand experience, there is not a significant benefit other than the parents thinking they are doing the right thing for their kids. Some of the worst things I learned in my younger years where during the years my parents placed me in a private school. Some people just let the uniforms, bibles and crosses on the walls provide them a false sense of security.
If the manufacturer/installer is still in business, and if they are, still keeps records from decades back.

Who knows how old this building is and if that is the original sink.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,951,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatech50 View Post
What a great thing to teach your kids - when life isn't fair you run away. How sad.
I guess "shut up and take whatever we give you" is a better thing to teach.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 PM

40 posts, read 51,933 times
Its not about running away like a baby...its about choices...you seem like the person who would just sit there and get stepped on. Let the school do what they want, let everyone do what they want to you and you would just keep learning "life lessons" and being the victim of injustices (no matter how big or small). Nothing will ever change with that mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island