Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,588,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
.... leaving a sink loose that had been reported not once but twice.
Currently this statement is hearsay. It could have been as little as the caulk had dissolved. When that happens, any fixture is going to wiggle a little. If this were the case, they would've waited until Friday after school to re-caulk the sink (or sinks) to allow a full 24 hour dry time.

My only question at this point is, if it is known which child wiggled it to further loose to bring it to near failure, what punishment did he recieve ( since he would fall under mischievous and fine line damage to school property)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,755,886 times
The caulk was removed from both sinks for ages. When I went in on Monday it still hadnt been fixed. it was fixed on weds. Too bad it took a kids suspension to do it.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

496 posts, read 1,247,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Aside from my point that he and his mom should have sucked it up, the punishment was not extreme. Oh, Im sure little johnny was so traumatized by having to stay home 3 days that he is scarred for life. Whether this whole incident was unfair is not the issue..the issue is the overreaction of the parent.

As far as Catholic School punishments, I can recall that in my Catholic HS if you graffitti'ed the desk, your punishment was to carry your own desk from class to class for a month. There was never a mark on the desk...can you picture the helicopters swirling on that punishment...they'd be screaming to take it to the supreme court
The boy did not break the sink. the sink was reported loose a few days before the accident happened. how else can this fact we stated for it to be understood?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,474,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
This should be a great teaching point for someone in CATHOLIC school. He was persecuted like Jesus and he should take his punishment...just like JC hung on the cross for no good reason.
LOL that's hilarious...

And seriously, why dwell on this? Why make it go on so long with the lawyers and the meetings with school administration and what-have-you? From what okaydorothy says it sounds like it legitimately wasn't his fault, at least not entirely - but that's not what he initially told the school so, BAM....that's it, confession in their eyes. And I agree these people at the school are ridiculous and taking themselves way too seriously with this self-important "setting an example" BS like they're building some criminal prosecution against members of Al-Qaeda by talking to your son and his classmates....but what are you gonna do? That's life. These people are trying to make themselves feel like something more important than overpaid secretaries and your child unfortunately paid the price this time. That's all your son should take from this: a lesson that sometimes you have to eat other people's crap for no reason whatsoever. Get that in his head and tell him to forget about everything else. His "permanent record" means nothing to anyone outside of that school, so don't worry about it. It's not going to effect anything at all, ever. I did tons of stupid things when I was that age and no college ever sent me a letter saying "we regret to inform you that your application to enroll in our undergraduate program this fall has been denied due to your past history with placing whoopie cushions on Ms. Crabapple's desk chair in 7th grade". It's all a big scare tactic that won't amount to a hill of beans in the long run.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,431,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Currently this statement is hearsay. It could have been as little as the caulk had dissolved. When that happens, any fixture is going to wiggle a little.

So what you're implying is that there was a bit of caulking missing and this boy and his friends jumped on, pulled at, and yanked this sink unil it came out of the wall??? Nonsense.

The school knew the sink was broken. Even if not reported by students, teaching staff saw it and janitorial/maintenance staff absolutely. The school failed to fix the sink.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,755,886 times
Thank you all for your support. It does mean a lot to me and my son. The important thing is that he knows his parents are behind him 100% and tried to do everything to fight for his cause. He is back in school, his friendds also supported him as did the teachers ; The teachers helped him to catch up even though he had done all the work that was sent home. He is a wonderful boy and he definately knows that.

Right now this is small compared to what I am going thru. My husband volunterily checked himself into a mental health clinic on friday and his well being is most important. He is a wonderful husband who does suffer from depression and was not taking care of himself. It has nothing to do with the suspension and our son knows that.

Thank you all again for your support and opinions. I did read everyone of them and took all opinions into consideration.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,774,032 times
okaydorothy, I am so sorry to hear what you're going through. Depression is a very, very difficult illness. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Last edited by OnOurWayHome; 11-07-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM

496 posts, read 1,247,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Thank you all for your support. It does mean a lot to me and my son. The important thing is that he knows his parents are behind him 100% and tried to do everything to fight for his cause. He is back in school, his friendds also supported him as did the teachers ; The teachers helped him to catch up even though he had done all the work that was sent home. He is a wonderful boy and he definately knows that.

Right now this is small compared to what I am going thru. My husband volunterily checked himself into a mental health clinic on friday and his well being is most important. He is a wonderful husband who does suffer from depression and was not taking care of himself. It has nothing to do with the suspension and our son knows that.

Thank you all again for your support and opinions. I did read everyone of them and took all opinions into consideration.
i am so sorry. i hope your husband gets the help he needs, and will be on the way to feeling great soon. good luck to you and yours.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM

213 posts, read 700,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
LOL that's hilarious...

And seriously, why dwell on this? Why make it go on so long with the lawyers and the meetings with school administration and what-have-you? From what okaydorothy says it sounds like it legitimately wasn't his fault, at least not entirely - but that's not what he initially told the school so, BAM....that's it, confession in their eyes. And I agree these people at the school are ridiculous and taking themselves way too seriously with this self-important "setting an example" BS like they're building some criminal prosecution against members of Al-Qaeda by talking to your son and his classmates....but what are you gonna do? That's life. These people are trying to make themselves feel like something more important than overpaid secretaries and your child unfortunately paid the price this time. That's all your son should take from this: a lesson that sometimes you have to eat other people's crap for no reason whatsoever. Get that in his head and tell him to forget about everything else. His "permanent record" means nothing to anyone outside of that school, so don't worry about it. It's not going to effect anything at all, ever. I did tons of stupid things when I was that age and no college ever sent me a letter saying "we regret to inform you that your application to enroll in our undergraduate program this fall has been denied due to your past history with placing whoopie cushions on Ms. Crabapple's desk chair in 7th grade". It's all a big scare tactic that won't amount to a hill of beans in the long run.
Great advice. Life isn't fair and this young generation needs to be taught that. Having mom and dad fight a battle that isn't that important to begin with does more harm than good.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,189,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
D,

As I've requested to any of the posters out there to look at their schools code of conduct and quote the punisments from them, none have. I've posted a few from some of the schools as a reference. Before even going into it understand one thing. There is a un-named witness (or more than one) who stated that your child broke the sink. Per the code of conducts I listed and the one from schools in my county, He was charged with two major offenses and possibly one minor offense. The major ones are damage to school property and putting the other kids in that bathroom in harms way if it had shattered. The minor one is the slight changes in his explanantion in the beginning ( basically lying). These all together no matter what school would have ended in an out of school suspension. And as per my manual it could have gone upwards of 5 days.

Hopefully he has learned a life lesson from this and he will move forward.

And as I've stated before, my statements are based on the situation and not on your parenting. As a parent none of us had a training manual on raising kids. We all do the best we can based on the information we grew up with.
What matters in this case is the code of conduct for the parochial school the OP's child is enrolled in. Since none of us know the name of that school, we cannot provide you with the pertinent information.

Also, regardless of what kind of code of conduct it is apparent that they DO NOT HAVE A ZERO TOLERANCE code of conduct (something else you have been continually citing as a "reason" this punishment fits the crime) judging from the OP's statements about other children that have committed acts of unacceptable behavior who went completely unpunished for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island