Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 AM

40 posts, read 51,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Spanish is the "unofficial" language in some parts of Long Island, mainly Suffolk.
Is there a problem with that? I don't recall English being the official language prior to the theft I mean acquirement of this land...Bilingual children have great opportunities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM

23 posts, read 96,151 times
Bayside, Whitestone, Little Neck ---Northeast Queens is your best bet. The commute to Manhattan via LIRR is good - it's the Port Washington Line--no changing trains in Jamaica.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,263 times
if you like to be near the water the south shore of LI can be an option
places like Oceanside, Lynbrook, Merrick
I personally live in Freeport - good diversity of people but the taxes are super high - in the other hand utilities here are very affordable.
good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 11,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel2NYC View Post
we will be relocating to NYC in about six months. planning to rent for the first 6month to a year, and then buy.
Wanted to get some feedback on which areas to look at.
We have a 2 yr old, school is very important to us. we do plan on making this our permanent resident (unless we hit lottery ).
We will need min 3 bedrooms, 4 is ideal. min of 2 bath.
would like 40min-1hr of commute to Manhattan by train if possible.
pricing around 550k-650k.
Have relative in Queens and will have relative in Long Island, as they're looking too.
Don't mind a fix upper, although i don't know if there's any fix uppers in nicer neighborhoods
Try Port Washington.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM

182 posts, read 225,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1080 View Post
Is there a problem with that? I don't recall English being the official language prior to the theft I mean acquirement of this land...Bilingual children have great opportunities...
When absolutely no attempt to learn English is being made, yeah, I'd say that's a problem.

As for the "theft" comment, the natives should've been quicker in the development of steel.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,673 times
Sorry, been away for a little.
Thanks all for the input.
Most ppl have given me suggestions for Queens, and Port Washington for LI. Any other LI area? Massapequa? Merrick? Wantagh?

re bilingual, i didn't mean going to a public school that serves bilingual classes, i meant to put my kid into a after school program to learn a second language.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,673 times
Ok, i thought floral park was in Queens, but it's in LI?
how does the SD measure up between floral park vs Merrick vs. Port Washington.

Are homes smaller in Queens, Bayside, whitestone?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,992,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel2NYC View Post
Ok, i thought floral park was in Queens, but it's in LI?
how does the SD measure up between floral park vs Merrick vs. Port Washington.

Are homes smaller in Queens, Bayside, whitestone?
There are two Floral Parks - one in Queens and one in Nassau Cty, Long Island. You want the latter.

Bayside is a nice area of Queens, small is relative, the lots are definitely smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island