Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM

157 posts, read 456,408 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out when to actually set up utilities and such? If the solid closing date is 12-1-10, can I have cable and Utilities set up and running by 12-2-10? Anyone have any heads up how this works on Long Island???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,082,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
I am trying to figure out when to actually set up utilities and such? If the solid closing date is 12-1-10, can I have cable and Utilities set up and running by 12-2-10? Anyone have any heads up how this works on Long Island???
find out if it's cablevision and if so put in an order for that date. If your closing changes you can reschedule cable. The other utilities can work the same.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times
FInd out when the sellers are planning on actually moving. When we moved this summer, I called to cancel the utilities, and whoever I called first (LIPA or Nat'l Grid) told me they would take care of both the electric and the gas, and they told me to have the buyers contact them so that the utilities would not actually be turned off - they would just need a final meter reading from me. So I called my RE Agent and told them to tell the buyers to call the utilities and get them in their name for a seamless transition. So those things can be accomplished with a phone call. But for cable or FIOS you should call at least 2 weeks in advance. You will need to bein the house to have that installed so you won't be able to have it running the second you move in. THe sellers' lawyer should get his clients to call for a final water bill and have proof that that is paid at closing; you should call the water company and have it switched to your name. You can call about the phone in advance as well.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM

294 posts, read 876,099 times
Quote:

For LIPA call 1.800.490.0025 option 4, then option 1. If the house has power and payments are up to date, LIPA says they'll need 48 notice. Give your name and SSN to set up the new account.
I've had clients call the day before closing and the account can be set up.

Are you using Cablevision or Verizon for cable. Either way, they'll likely need some notice to set up. If the current owner has one service and you are continuing with that same company, could be a smoother transition.

I am surprised you have a closing date one month before. This is unusual.
Good luck with everything!!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,309,788 times
Quote:
Looks like your search finally ends !! Where are you buying ?
Call the utility company and have them activate your account as of 12/2. Schedule next date for cable / dish /fios whatever. Get the water conection transferred into your name.

Buy a snow blower and lots of caulk and duct tapes.
Congrats, and enjoy your new home.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM

157 posts, read 456,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Looks like your search finally ends !! Where are you buying ?
Call the utility company and have them activate your account as of 12/2. Schedule next date for cable / dish /fios whatever. Get the water conection transferred into your name.

Buy a snow blower and lots of caulk and duct tapes.
Congrats, and enjoy your new home.
I bought a house in ridge. Nice house, will need some basic upgrades, but I am ready to pay for them. My idea is that I am getting married soon, and have no children, the nieghborhood is very nice and from all of my research the grade schools are more then good enough. (I know somtimes you hear differently). I do agree that the highschool does not get the best ratings... but by the time I need to worry about this, i might not even be livig there, or there is alway private school for 4 years? lol

Very nice size property, full size roads, nice house... decent price.

tahnks.

(I will still have a million more questions for here)

Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,103,060 times
Quote:
I bought a house in ridge. Nice house, will need some basic upgrades, but I am ready to pay for them. My idea is that I am getting married soon, and have no children, the nieghborhood is very nice and from all of my research the grade schools are more then good enough. (I know somtimes you hear differently). I do agree that the highschool does not get the best ratings... but by the time I need to worry about this, i might not even be livig there, or there is alway private school for 4 years? lol

Very nice size property, full size roads, nice house... decent price.

tahnks.

(I will still have a million more questions for here)
Excellent choice Anthony, very good value in Ridge. If not for the schools (which BTW are decent if youre an involved parent)we would be there too.We gave up a little on house/property in exchange but I really love the northern side of Ridge and Horse Country

Welcome to the area.

Crooks

Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM

1,724 posts, read 4,014,490 times
If your are getting the keys at closing then by all means have the utilities changed over immediately. If the sellers are staying for a day or so, schedule the date accordingly. Don't forget to file for STAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island