Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

629 posts, read 1,695,218 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand why you landlords rent to these welfare broodmares to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 104,718 times
Thank you okaydorothy. good luck with yours too. what is your plan after your tenant moved out? my husband told me to sell it. how can I know the tenants are qualified, and where can I find the qualified tenants. Most section 8's don't want to live in Wyandanch.

This morning got a phone call from 1st Precinct Police department, found out my Tenant Mr. Davidson has a long list of crime history. this is must be good for my eviction process, because on my lease agreement, he didn't marked down he has been convicted of a crime.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,749,809 times
My plan is to sell it. I am done with this landlord stuff. It is so hard to get qualified tenants that are not going to trash the place. Even if they are paying for it themselves, they still trash it.

At another property, I am on my third tenant and this one is great. Pays on time, takes care of the property and is good with the neighbours. I found this tenant 2 years ago on craigslist.

I have had the police at the problem tenant's property also.

In answer to the above question, when there is a mortgage to pay and the selling price of the property does not meet your mortgage, renting is an option. However, most tenants promise you the world when they are moving in and sometimes you are gullable ; or decide that you ahve a heart and would like to help someone in need. However, this person in need dosnt think like you and tends to know all the in's and out's to benefit themselves. Long Island is not landlord friendly ; the judges in the courts almost always give the benefit to the tenant. Somtimes the landlords are terrible, and other times the tenants are terrible.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM

22 posts, read 104,718 times
You are right Okaydorothy. I learned a hard way after all the stresses and aggravations. I am going to sell it.
The property tax due Jan 10, 2011. $5782.27/year, the tenant hasn't pay their portion since Oct 1, 2010. plus attorney fee $1,500. the house cost over $30,000 remodeled since Jan-May 2010 with Town of Babylon building permit. and only rented 6 month this year. it is totally lost. hope I can sell it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,027 times
The reason we rent to these people is because we are "guarenteed" a rent check.I have rented to Joe Blow off the street after doing a backround check and still got screwed,so it's 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.The reason we rent at all is because it is getting more and more impossible in nys to manage a mortgage property taxes and food oil etc. I have had my house 6 yrs. before I HAD to rent. My apartment sat vacant almost a "guesthouse" for visitors so to speak.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Just would like to add one more thing on this site. Beware of evicting tenants. I have formed a sort of "social networking" with other ss landlordsas a way of helping each other w/ various tenant probs. My friend "John" wasn't recieving tenants portion of rent for Oct. Nov. 2010 so he started eviction proceedings in Dec. 2010.Things all of a sudden got eerily quiet until around Dec. 22nd 2010.At 5 am his visiting daughter awoke him (thank goodness) because the tenants apt. uostairs was on fire, They ran out front and there was the tenant, her mother and children in their car(FULLY DRESSED) watching. They had not even tried to wake him up. He no longer has a house to live in no less rent. I'm not saying they are all like this ,but now I'm kinda scared to evict my 2 deadbeat tenants. Just food for thought. I don't know what will happen to this lady ,but as I hear I will post.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why does ANYONE rent to these skells on public assistance?

It's always the SAME OLD STORY.

They won't pay their piddling little share (if any).

They destroy the property.

It takes $$$$ to get rid of them to the point where once you evict them and they don't move YOU have to pay to put all their precious belongings in a storage facility.

The problem with these skells is this: They never have to earn their keep and they think they are ENTITLED to be handed everything. They have no idea of the value of money. To them life is a free-for-all. How does anyone THINK they are going to behave in a rental property?
And these are the very same 'values' they are instilling on their spawn -- the next generation of leeches and parasites.

It's the rest of us keeping them down -- didn't you know that it's our fault?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybombe65 View Post
Just would like to add one more thing on this site. Beware of evicting tenants. I have formed a sort of "social networking" with other ss landlordsas a way of helping each other w/ various tenant probs. My friend "John" wasn't recieving tenants portion of rent for Oct. Nov. 2010 so he started eviction proceedings in Dec. 2010.Things all of a sudden got eerily quiet until around Dec. 22nd 2010.At 5 am his visiting daughter awoke him (thank goodness) because the tenants apt. uostairs was on fire, They ran out front and there was the tenant, her mother and children in their car(FULLY DRESSED) watching. They had not even tried to wake him up. He no longer has a house to live in no less rent. I'm not saying they are all like this ,but now I'm kinda scared to evict my 2 deadbeat tenants. Just food for thought. I don't know what will happen to this lady ,but as I hear I will post.
Where did this happen? Did it happen on Long Island?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And these are the very same 'values' they are instilling on their spawn -- the next generation of leeches and parasites.

It's the rest of us keeping them down -- didn't you know that it's our fault?
That goes without saying!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM

yes suffolk co. li
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island