Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,313,107 times

Advertisements

Quick Question for Walter Greenspan.

I noticed the Lakeview LIRR stop is north of the Southern State Parkway, is it actually in the hamlet of Lakeview? Because I noticed that according to the hamlet map Lakeview doesn't go north of the parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM

213 posts, read 700,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelongisland View Post
maisy123.. downing DOES have an auditorium. unfortunately it wasnt meant to hold the number of students the school now has.
another fascinating fact is the ridiculous pay raises the upper administration gave themselves and their secretaries over the summer when they are unable to settle a single labor contract for their employees. a district that staffs some of the lowest paid civil service workers in nassau, who cant afford more then .25cent raises or give a single day off for sick/personal/holiday/bereavement shouldnt be proposing $15 million dollar bonds. Are you aware of the gigantic raises they've given themselves? Are you aware of the fact that last year they were cited with having a surplus of money? and how on earth can they expect voters to believe they wont feel the pinch of this bond. this district is Corrupt with a capital C.
get real maisy123.
1. Downing assemblies are held in the gym.

2. What % of salary were the raises given to the adminstrators and secrataries?

3. The surplus was transferred to a capital fund and they are using that money to repair and upgrade the buildings on top of the 1.something million they gave back to the taxpayers to keep the tax levy down. Nothing corrupt-all perfectly legal and responsible.

4. I have a hard time believing any employer is begrudging a 25 cent raise.

5. I have heard that all bargaining units except teachers and monitors have settled their contract.

6. Just because you are unhappy with your pay scale doesn't mean there is corruption.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM

[es. a district that staffs some of the lowest paid civil service workers in nassau, who cant afford more then .25cent raises or give a single day off for sick/personal/holiday/bereavement shouldnt be proposing $15 million dollar bonds.

Can you please provide your source. I see another post by you asking monitors from other districts to disclose their salaries. If your amongst the lowest paid how do you know that?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,304 times
Maisy as it seems u may b somewhat informed u should b aware that little's comments seem to b the general consensus of the residents. Anyone who has attended a boe meeting can see its a town divided and school administrators as well as boe members r continually under fire and not particularly respected.
I could be wrong but I believe that surplus of money was brought to light in a way that made this district look as tho they were hidin something. They looked very badly in the public eye to me and my neighbors.
As far as pay raises the figures that passed my ears were something like 80K raises for certain admins. Altho I never confirmed it. Correct or not its a sign of the negative climate that this admin has surrounding it

Personally I pulled my kids out of the district opting for catholic school several yrs ago. I'm not in favor of the bond. My taxes r over the top.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Another thought on the topic;

I know our district has a huge lot of undeveloped land near the high school.
How many acres is it. Someone told me 13 but that doesn't seem possible. But my question is has it ever been a consideration to sell off this land and use it for school improvements? Seems like a potential gold mine. Right now its used by the neighborhood kids for god knows what. Selling off would unburden us of both issues.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly900 View Post
Maisy as it seems u may b somewhat informed u should b aware that little's comments seem to b the general consensus of the residents. Anyone who has attended a boe meeting can see its a town divided and school administrators as well as boe members r continually under fire and not particularly respected.
I could be wrong but I believe that surplus of money was brought to light in a way that made this district look as tho they were hidin something. They looked very badly in the public eye to me and my neighbors.
As far as pay raises the figures that passed my ears were something like 80K raises for certain admins. Altho I never confirmed it. Correct or not its a sign of the negative climate that this admin has surrounding it

Personally I pulled my kids out of the district opting for catholic school several yrs ago. I'm not in favor of the bond. My taxes r over the top.
The overage came to light when the state completed it's audit of Malverne. 2 years ago Tom Di Napoli ordered audits of every district in the state as a result of the Roslyn fiasco. I have come to learn that Malverne as well as many other schools had larger reserves than the 4% allowed by law. Upon questioning by a community group, Project Enroll Now was told that the prior administration with the blessing of the BOE kept reserves high for the simple reason that there had been many attempts in the past to do capital improvements through a bond issue that were actively campaigned against and failed through the 1990's. The reserves were used to make repairs and upgrades-all legal. In fact the law states that one way to return the $ back to taxpayers is by investing in the infrastructure. The bond will adress years of neglect to the infrastructure. Imagine not maintaining your home for decades to give you an idea.

I was told today that every group in the district settled their contracts for 2% including administrators except for teachers and monitors. All of this is available to the public at seethroughny.com.

As for the division-as a parent of children in the public schools the division is not in the buildings. There is a divide between Malverne and Lakeview but it's mostly between the folks that don't use the schools. It used to be an issue with me but I now choose to worry only about the people my children are surrounded by. I have said many times in this forum that the parents I have come to know from Lakeview through the schools have the same desire as I do for their children and many have the same value system as I do. I feel blessed to have a public elementary school with aggressive curriculum, a family like atmosphere and exposure to different cultures.

As for the bond issue I think from a business and finance perspective it makes perfect sense but I also understand that I maybe be in the minority in my community. We will see.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly900 View Post
Another thought on the topic;

I know our district has a huge lot of undeveloped land near the high school.
How many acres is it. Someone told me 13 but that doesn't seem possible. But my question is has it ever been a consideration to sell off this land and use it for school improvements? Seems like a potential gold mine. Right now its used by the neighborhood kids for god knows what. Selling off would unburden us of both issues.
Your right. There is a huge lot of land at the HS. Unfortunately not much of it is buildable. It's wetland and protected by the DEC. But your right-could have been a gold mine.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying the undeveloped land question. That's a shame.

And even though it doesn't affect me, I can certainly see why district employees who have unsettled business or believe they r underpaid would have a problem with finding out their employer has so much money that they r in violation. I have great respect for teachers. That's awful and shame on these administrators!

Absolutely we r a district divided. I never had a problem with the elementary schools. Or even the middle school but I won't send my dog to that high school and its NOT cus I think the athletic field needs improvement. There r greater issues. Seems to me they r more concerned with appearance then the big picture.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 21,421 times
Quote:
Can you please provide your source. I see another post by you asking monitors from other districts to disclose their salaries. If your amongst the lowest paid how do you know that?
i am my own source. and i am very well informed on the subject. phone calls, friends who have left our district for much higher paying positions (50 - 70% higher) in neighboring districts (west hempstead, lynbrook only to name a few of many). its a fact.

the malverne district has 'selective belt tightening' and there lies the corruption. and selective concern of the condition of their schools. funny they only became concerned over the lack of improvements since the 70's AFTER the surplus funds were brought to the public forum! its hilarious. the residents are NOT as stupid as they would like to believe.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,575,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Quick Question for Walter Greenspan.

I noticed the Lakeview LIRR stop is north of the Southern State Parkway, is it actually in the hamlet of Lakeview? Because I noticed that according to the hamlet map Lakeview doesn't go north of the parkway.
Yup, you're correct, located at Eagle Avenue & Woodfield Road, the Lakeview Long Island Railroad Station is not in the Hamlet of Lakeview, it's in the Hamlet of West Hempstead.

But, this is not completely unusual: the Great Neck Station is not in the Village of Great Neck, it's in the Village of Great Neck Plaza; the Northport Station is not in the Village of Northport, it's in the Hamlet of East Northport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island