Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:11 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

With all the changes happening to LI villages & hamlets the past few decades, how has your area held up? Did your area see a downfall and why? Is your area going down the tubes or a rising star??

I include TOH map because most of the decay in Nassau seems to have occurred in this town. Looking for Suffolk towns too.
ToH - Town Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
Smithtown is in dire need of renovation. Our Main Street is old and decaying, not to mention the traffic dangers. When you hear of areas like Bayshore, Wyandanch, Patchogue, etc. getting major makeovers, you wonder why the over-taxed residents of Smithtown can't have the same. Problem is, the people running the show have no sense of looking forward that it will never get done.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Smithtown is in dire need of renovation. Our Main Street is old and decaying, not to mention the traffic dangers. When you hear of areas like Bayshore, Wyandanch, Patchogue, etc. getting major makeovers, you wonder why the over-taxed residents of Smithtown can't have the same. Problem is, the people running the show have no sense of looking forward that it will never get done.
If the building owners would put a little money into their structures it would make a major visual inprovement and attract some new tenants. Maybe the chamber of commerce could get involved before we look to town govt. for answers. That being said, there have been some small improvements like the new sidewalks.

Main street is a tough with all the traffic and limited parking on the north side of the street. There isn't any place else for the traffic to go though since "smithtown by-pass" is already a nightmare.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
You mean aside from the general island-wide downswing that has been going on since the mid 1970s? I'm not saying that to be a curmudgeon: It's hard to miss when you step away for 20 years, then come back.

My hometown of Bay Shore went through some rough times. It's certainly not what it was when I was growing up. The South Shore Mall and the Gardiner Manor Mall took the oomph out of Main Street in the late 70s and early 80s. However, Bay Shore has dumped a lot of money into Main Street--the Y, the Boulton Center, coffee shops and restaurants--and it seems to be getting along.

Same thing with Patchogue. They're putting a lot of money into it and rebuilding. There are a couple of fun places on Main Street, including a cute little cafe owned by a friend of a friend.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
With all the changes happening to LI villages & hamlets the past few decades, how has your area held up? Did your area see a downfall and why? Is your area going down the tubes or a rising star??

I include TOH map because most of the decay in Nassau seems to have occurred in this town. Looking for Suffolk towns too.
ToH - Town Map
Lovin the undertones. Please define "ghettofication"?

Anyways, a lot of towns on Long Island are decaying. Most homes on the island (at least in Nassau and Western Suffolk) were built in the 50's-70's so homes are aging and decaying and as homes age, the amount of upkeep increases and not everybody, especially in this recession, can afford to fix whatever goes wrong, etc.

Have you seen the Sagtikos State Parkway, the roads are bumpy as hell and desperately needs to be repaved! But I know a lot of roads throughout the entire nation is aging, I remember watching something about the "infastructure report card" or something like that and we got a 'C' I believe.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-05-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post

Main street is a tough with all the traffic and limited parking on the north side of the street. There isn't any place else for the traffic to go though since "smithtown by-pass" is already a nightmare.
I was out there not too long ago, but did not see any traffic (sunday). I have heard though that it gets real bad there. I can see it getting bad, it has no "relief valves" so to speak, similar to Sunrise hwy in Nassau.

I can't Imagine what would happen if they built a major 'attraction' east of that hwy. near or in one of the connecting towns.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
Like a 400 ft. indoor ski mountain?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Lovin the undertones. Please define "ghettofication"?
The opposite of "Gentrification". What undertones?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The opposite of "Gentrification". What undertones?
undertones=race card
The second you mention the word "ghetto"...you know the deal...

Whatever. It is what it is.
Adapt or die. Or move. It aint never gonna get better that's for sure.
It's just the way things are going on LI.
Gotta quit living in the past, or the good ole days. LI will never go back in time to the 50's or 70's. Sad, but true. get used to it.
Urbanization is taking over, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. So, best and probabally only option is to move.
All LI'ers are good for is complaining and not doing anything about changing the things they complain about. Just keep on complaining.
And do nothing. Do nothing.

Jellyfish...spineless, and go wherever the tide takes you...

Old 11-05-2010, 03:56 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
The Riviera of Long Island...from Merrick to Massapequa Park is just fine..no ghetto there. And,of course, the North Shore around Rocky Point is the Cultural Mecca of the Island. Most of the ghetto areas are isolated in Nassau and are quiet abundant in Suffolk.

Nothing wrong with Long Island..you want ghetto..go take a look in Queens and Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island