Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

First, I should say, I LOVE these forums!! I've found a lot of really helpful info just by searching old posts.

So my family is relocating to Long Island, and we're looking to rent a home or apartment on the North Shore for about 2-3yrs. We were looking mostly in Melville, Plainview, and Woodbury, but didn't see any good sized rentals in our price range ($2,000 - 2,700/mth).

Currently looking at two properties that are in pretty good shape and in our rental price range - one is in E. Northport (Northport/E. Northport school district), and the other is in N. Hicksville (Hicksville school district). Which would you choose? If someone lives in the areas and wants specific addresses, PM me and I'll let you know the exact locations for even more specificity!

We want to rent in an area where we'd ultimately buy, so here are our requirements:
-Have two children (5 and 2), so schools are important
-Family friendly neighborhood
-We're both professionals, so we want a nice neighborhood.. doesn't have to be full of ultra-wealthy folks, but I guess middle-class to upper middle class is what I mean (i know, different people define these differently).
- Also, I've heard people refer to both the Plainview/Old Bethpage and Northport/E. Northport as SD4. Are they the same SD 4? Are they both highly regarded? Which is better?

In terms of the properties themselves, we're looking for 3BR, fin bsmt, in good shape - not requiring lots of work. Yard for children to play.
- Are there other areas of the north shore that we should consider? And if you're a realtor with specific locations or properties, even better
- No more than about an 1hr from Penn Station (I work downtown). My husband works in Plainview, so I guess we'd like to stay reasonably close to there so that we're not both working an hr away from home.

I've seen some concerns on other threads about both the Hicksville area (around the train station) and E. Northport (a bar somewhere), but do you think we should rule both towns/HAMLETS out on the basis of this information? I seemed to see positive thoughts about E. Northport as a whole.

Let me know what are the pros, cons, and what else we should consider! Thanks in advance. Sorry the post is long, but I wanted to put in all the relevant details. If I can/need to elaborate more, do let me know!

And please NO MAPS and info about hamlets and their geography thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 96,151 times
E. Northport is my choice. Schools are very good. BUT your commute to Manhattan may be a little bit longer than you would like. In order to get a better variety on schedule times you would probably want to drive and park at the Huntington train station. I think the commute is worth it but look at the LIRR schedules and decide for yourself.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM

939 posts, read 2,305,750 times
i take the lirr out of northport to midtown near gct and it's an hour and a half door to door (2 min barreling up larkfield, 1hr 10 min on lirr, 12 min subway, 6 min walking)

east northport is a good community, however it has changed over the years (of course, find an area that hasn't)... pm me the address and i'll let you know if i know anything specific about the neighborhood

edit: lmao on the no maps comment

Last edited by ENFD240; 11-06-2010 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: forgot to lmao about the no maps comment

Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Keep 'em coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: