Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,974,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Grant, I agree except it's a sink that makes it a kitchen. We were allowed to keep a stove. You can bake pies all over your house but a sink out side a bathroom is considered a kitchen and is illegal. This is straight from the code inspector who made us rip out the sink to get the CO. He said the stove and fridge are ok. This was TOH.
I should have clarified "outside a bathroom OR a utility room" i.e. a slop sink in the laundry room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Grant, I agree except it's a sink that makes it a kitchen. We were allowed to keep a stove. You can bake pies all over your house but a sink out side a bathroom is considered a kitchen and is illegal. This is straight from the code inspector who made us rip out the sink to get the CO. He said the stove and fridge are ok. This was TOH.
this differs from ToB then. Strange to hear too because bedroom vanities, wetbars, and slop sinks by laundry are all so common place in larger homes to find a sink and don't require special permits.

Whereas you'd imagine anyone with a 2nd kitchen is up to -something-.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM

9,916 posts, read 23,022,637 times
I'd like to encourage all posters to spell out the name of their Town, as it can lead to erroneous assumptions, i.e. ToB = Town of Babylon or Town of Brookhaven, TOH = Town of Hempstead of Town of Huntington.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
grant516

n/a posts
ToB is Town of Oyster Bay, the only ToB in Nassau County.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
A stove makes the place a kitchen- you can have every other appliance under the sun in the 'kitchen' but without a stove, it's not a kitchen : nor would be a legal apt. without one.

A mother/daughter needs two kitchens, aka, two stoves.

You would also need an Egress window, meaning a full sized escape window somewhere in the basement if there isn't one already.

If you have all those things you can create a 'legal' apartment, but considering you'll get the same amount of BS from your nosy neighbors- and have to pay more in taxes if it is a two family residence : best bet is just to rent it like everyone else is.

If you get a renter- consider yourself doing something nice for someone who needs a place to live, and stop listening to backwater Long Islanders who think their 1950s town mentality is doing them any good; when all they can do is complain about every aspect of leadship in their home communities.

There is a demand for housing, and the towns of Long Island have no desire to fill that demand.
There is a demand for cracking down on illegal apartments, and the towns of Long Island have no desire to quell that demand.

So do whatever the heck you think is best for you.
I am very happy with the government in the Village of Valley Stream. NO complaints here!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
At BEST you need permits for all the work and THEN a permit to make it a legal mother/daughter. Plan on the additional fees and taxes eating up a huge portion of any rent you receive! No one escapes the TOH legal mafia govt. They get a nice piece of the pie or you get violation notices and days in court! At worst, you can't do any of it legally because your neighborhood will turn to blight from that extra car parked on the street.
If he's in the Village of Valley Stream, his tenant's car(s) will have to be parked in his driveway along with his own cars all night, not on the street.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM

41 posts, read 177,769 times
Get the proper permits and make sure your apartment is legal. Basement or not, this would be an accessory apartment. Long Island needs more affordable housing, but it would be foolish on your part to rent an apartment that is not legal.

If the apartment in your home is not legal, you will experience difficulty if you need to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent or violating the lease agreement. Make sure you rent with a lease, and have an attorney prepare or at a minimum, review the lease agreement before signing it.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM

62 posts, read 250,380 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies. I am not planning to break any laws and install a new basement apartment, but just want to find out everything regarding my new purchase.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
My question is how do you go about report someone who has an illegal basement and is ruining the quality of life on your block??

Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
I could be wrong but isn't it supposed to have 2 entrances in order to be considered legal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island