Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:18 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,050,350 times

Advertisements

If the basement does not have at least eight foot ceilings it will always be illegal. It's due to being a fire hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,819,782 times
old thread but asking anyway... so you need a permit to make it a legal rental with a kitchen. What does the permit change? Does it increase your taxes because now a finished basement is considered living space? What's the difference between a finished basement and a legal rental basement in terms of permit / taxes?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
old thread but asking anyway... so you need a permit to make it a legal rental with a kitchen. What does the permit change? Does it increase your taxes because now a finished basement is considered living space? What's the difference between a finished basement and a legal rental basement in terms of permit / taxes?
No idea but when my friend's father got turned for his illegal apartment in Huntington, one of the things the town told him was that he was "using more resources" ie more trash for collection etc etc (which is b.s. because he had his family of four living in it as a 1 family, and then when the kids moved out he had one renter move in, so he was actually using LESS resources).

Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,911,628 times
If you are requesting the conversion to a 2 family or any variance to the existing code there may be public notification to your immediate neighbors and it will be on the agenda of a public meeting where a decision will be made.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,702 times
Hi ~ I'm in a similar situation. I inherited a house that has a finished basement that looks like it could be an apartment but isn't. It has a "wet bar" with a sink and refrigerator, a full bathroom, a small seating area near the bar and a separate room being used as a home office. I want to sell "as is" but have been told that a bank wont approve a loan to a buyer because an above-ground entryway was added to replace the original Bilko doors, I would have to tear down this little entryway room which has a huge window and standard door, and is about 8'x6'. Why would adding this room be illegal and is there anyway I can apply for a permit to alter the entrance to make it legal without going back to the old bilko door entryway?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM

186 posts, read 524,745 times
Default get yer cheese, red hot cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaz View Post
My question is how do you go about report someone who has an illegal basement and is ruining the quality of life on your block??

you RAT em out. after all they are ruining your quality of life right? and I assume you meant illegal basement apartment, although those illegal basements can really be an eye sore also

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 14,152 times
I have a problem unique to the basement apartment issue. I live on a parcel in Nassau that has two legal residents on it. No detached garage on either dwelling. One house is a small The other is the larger of the two, built later. There is a person or persons who thought they were smart and reported my home to the TOH as an illegal converted garage! If they went online and checked with the County website they would have seen that it is in fact a legal home that is taxed. Looks can be deceiving. Upon a glance it appears that way but it is not and never was a garage. A person from the TOH took the complaint call and slapped a sticker on the door for us to vacate at once. I had to laugh. It was the funniest thing to happen to me in a really long time. If nosy nasty neighbor would have taken the time to look at the computer to see what the story was the phone call would probably never have been made. Also, if the county worker would have been more efficient and looked as well, there would have been no need to answer the complaint. I reside in a fully legal dwelling. The person who I have good reason to believe reported me lives in an illegal basement apartment..I just cant understand why a person would want to have another thrown into the gutter just because they don't like that person. It was an ignorant and arrogant act.I will not rat the person who tried to have me thrown to the curb. That time will come on it's own. I do not need to do a thing. And when it does, I wish all the best. I would never compromise anyone's shelter like that.Every one needs a place to live. Including the one who tried to rat on me. This person happens to have pets too. And is way too fat to get out of the basement window if something horrible should happen like a fire or ceiling collapse. God forbid. I feel bad for people on Long Island who have rent these places out. A lot are elderly and on fixed incomes and they cant afford the property taxes. Most landlords find themselves in situations that leave them no choice but to rent. A death of a loved one who was the sole bread winner, a job loss, medical expenses. I could think of a lot more reasons. Who is anyone to judge? Even though someone tried to do something really mean to me, I still wont rat. It would only hurt they landlord in this case. There has to be a good reason why the landlord is renting fat stuff the basement apartment. And fatty owns a brand new car too!! Go figure. I'm sure the rent is cheap. Probably has money to purchase a house but would rather live like a troll instead. I wish someone would report it because I just cant do it. I tried to be nice to this person upon meeting. This is an individual who no matter how nice you are they need to talk **** about you behind your back. I am not the one who has to worry. I know my place is fully legal. Basement dweller better be careful cause it is illegal to rent ANY basement apartment in Nassau County.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,819,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by you have rights View Post
A lot are elderly and on fixed incomes and they cant afford the property taxes.
I'm guessing a lot of those ratting other people out ARE the elderly with a lot of time on their hands.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,302,182 times
Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't an apartment need at least 2 points of egress to be legal?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,092 times
Can someone put in a false garage door to cover up a illegal apartment? Across the street has done this in order to hold a parking space for themselves. This and they also do not move the bmw they have unless they are getting it registared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island