Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,464,300 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone was following it, but looks like election officials released the wrong numbers election night. Turns out Altschuler is ahead in the vote. Now, time for democrats to pull out the same snot they pulled in the Minnesota election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,299,411 times
I voted for Bishop (full disclosure). But if you are referring to the 400 vote lead of Altschuler I would suspect that, much like in prior elections, the write in ballots favor the incumbent. Media reports note that about 73% of the mail-in ballots came from the eastern end, so I would guess that Bishop wins that region. Who knows. Altschuler is a really really wealthy businessman who essentially bought all of his constituents after he moved here just to seek an office, and Bishop has been an unremarkable leader in holding back costs and/or bringing any business to the region. For me it was a hold your nose and pick one election, on many accounts. Will be fun to watch all of the lawyers and parties wailing from either side. In the end, my optimism for either candidate is muted.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Default I am usually in favor of getting rid of incumbents, but ...

... once in a blue moon the devil you do know is better than the one you don't. Yes, even if that devil has proven himself to be as ineffectual (to put it "nicely") as Bishop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I voted for Bishop (full disclosure). But if you are referring to the 400 vote lead of Altschuler I would suspect that, much like in prior elections, the write in ballots favor the incumbent. Media reports note that about 73% of the mail-in ballots came from the eastern end, so I would guess that Bishop wins that region. Who knows. Altschuler is a really really wealthy businessman who essentially bought all of his constituents after he moved here just to seek an office, and Bishop has been an unremarkable leader in holding back costs and/or bringing any business to the region. For me it was a hold your nose and pick one election, on many accounts. Will be fun to watch all of the lawyers and parties wailing from either side. In the end, my optimism for either candidate is muted.
Altschuler was wealthy already because he was an investment banker in a top-tier firm, then he became "really really wealthy" because he created a company for offshore outsourcing white-collar jobs to India (which was bought by RR Donnelly for $250M, yet he is still president of it) called OfficeTiger. Putting him in the government is like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse. How would you like someone who made a quarter billion (and still counting because he still is president of OfficeTiger) offshore outsourcing American jobs in control of ANYTHING having to do with the government? If you look up his past, he has said some odious things about American workers, plus has proudly said that his company is "the frontrunner of offshoring white collar jobs from the US." He first tried to get in with the Conservatives in his home state of New Jersey, who soundly rejected him because he hadn't voted for most of his life, he was actually a member of the Green Party, and because of his work doing offshore outsourcing. Then he carpetbagged it over to Suffolk because of the exceptionally weak incumbent Bishop. I can understand why a lot of people are mad at Bishop, but electing Altschuler would be like going from the frying pan into the fire for the average middle class person who has to work for a living and needs a strong economy and low unemployment in the USA. Maybe if you are a multi-millionaire and live off your investments, Altschuler would look good.

It's sad that ANY elections have to be a "hold your nose and pick one," but these days we have too much of that. Look at the NYS Governor's race! Altschuler was just another case of the Republicans/Conservatives coming up with a particularly ODIOUS candidate for office (see Paladino, McCain, et al.) and thinking "we won't notice" because the public at large is stupid in their minds. Can't they come up with anybody DECENT for these important races? I would vote that way more often if they did.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... once in a blue moon the devil you do know is better than the one you don't. Yes, even if that devil has proven himself to be as ineffectual (to put it "nicely") as Bishop.

Altschuler was wealthy already because he was an investment banker in a top-tier firm, then he became "really really wealthy" because he created a company for offshore outsourcing white-collar jobs to India (which was bought by RR Donnelly for $250M, yet he is still president of it) called OfficeTiger. Putting him in the government is like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse. How would you like someone who made a quarter billion (and still counting because he still is president of OfficeTiger) offshore outsourcing American jobs in control of ANYTHING having to do with the government? If you look up his past, he has said some odious things about American workers, plus has proudly said that his company is "the frontrunner of offshoring white collar jobs from the US." He first tried to get in with the Conservatives in his home state of New Jersey, who soundly rejected him because he hadn't voted for most of his life, he was actually a member of the Green Party, and because of his work doing offshore outsourcing. Then he carpetbagged it over to Suffolk because of the exceptionally weak incumbent Bishop. I can understand why a lot of people are mad at Bishop, but electing Altschuler would be like going from the frying pan into the fire for the average middle class person who has to work for a living and needs a strong economy and low unemployment in the USA. Maybe if you are a multi-millionaire and live off your investments, Altschuler would look good.

It's sad that ANY elections have to be a "hold your nose and pick one," but these days we have too much of that. Look at the NYS Governor's race! Altschuler was just another case of the Republicans/Conservatives coming up with a particularly ODIOUS candidate for office (see Paladino, McCain, et al.) and thinking "we won't notice" because the public at large is stupid in their minds. Can't they come up with anybody DECENT for these important races? I would vote that way more often if they did.
Altschuler did not have the backing of the state Republican Chairman going into their primary...he wanted his son from Manhattan to get the nod (Ed's son Chris Cox). Grandson of an impeached President is not a qualifier for higher office, but then again in this day and age it is more substantial than many candidates. And that goes for either of the two major parties.

To run in this day and age you have to be either EXTREME in your political views or EXTREMELY rich. Centrist exceptions are leaving congress/senate. If you are a centrist (liberal on a few issues, conservative on a few others...you know, NORMAL) well then you are simply wishy-washy or a waffler. In my humble opinion the last great hope for a strong leader was Colin Powell, who upon lengthy reflection with his family (and being a visionary on how tawdry politics was going to become) politely declined. Normal, smart leaders go into business not politics. It is all very depressing. Who in their right mind would run for office with the psychotic nature of the media/bloggers/websites these days.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Quote:
Altschuler did not have the backing of the state Republican Chairman going into their primary...he wanted his son from Manhattan to get the nod (Ed's son Chris Cox). Grandson of an impeached President is not a qualifier for higher office, but then again in this day and age it is more substantial than many candidates. And that goes for either of the two major parties.
Very true. Neither is daughter of a much-admired deceased president. Yet, look how they tried to push Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg ... a woman with no political experience whatsoever ... into what became Kirsten Gillibrand's seat.

Quote:
To run in this day and age you have to be either EXTREME in your political views or EXTREMELY rich. Centrist exceptions are leaving congress/senate. If you are a centrist (liberal on a few issues, conservative on a few others...you know, NORMAL) well then you are simply wishy-washy or a waffler. In my humble opinion the last great hope for a strong leader was Colin Powell, who upon lengthy reflection with his family (and being a visionary on how tawdry politics was going to become) politely declined. Normal, smart leaders go into business not politics. It is all very depressing. Who in their right mind would run for office with the psychotic nature of the media/bloggers/websites these days.
If Ron Paul had won the nomination for the Republicans, he could have been a strong leader for the American PEOPLE, not the corporations.

It has been that way for a long time, well before the internet. Back when I was in high school we had a social studies teacher the whole class admired greatly. One kid asked him in front of the whole class, "Why don't YOU run for President?" The teacher replied that the people who really know how to run the country don't WANT to be involved in the business of politics and he agrees with them.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:19 PM

732 posts, read 1,730,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Not sure if anyone was following it, but looks like election officials released the wrong numbers election night. Turns out Altschuler is ahead in the vote. Now, time for democrats to pull out the same snot they pulled in the Minnesota election.
And the same crap Republicans pulled in Florida that led to 8 years of a monkey in public office.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,367,304 times
I have to agree with Jrprofess with Altschuler's lead being less than 400 votes I don't see how Bishop doesn't win once the absentee's are counted. As of the last report while absentee ballots to favor the GOP, the margin is less than the GOP advantage as a whole. Absentees are about GOP +3.45%, district wide registration is GOP +6%. Considering the higher across the board turnout was more favorable to the GOP, the election day registration turnout advantage the GOP had in the district is likely a few points more Republican than that. So you are likely looking at something along the lines of GOP +8 or 9 as far as election day ballots cast, with the absentees being only 3.45%.

Also as Jrprofess pointed out the absentees are heaviest on the east end portion of the district. The east end and Hamptons in particular have a much stronger Democratic advantage than registration numbers would show. Lots of the liberal type Rockefeller Republicans in that area, who are basically only Republicans in registration (ie RINO's)

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

886 posts, read 2,639,646 times
Hell, I never vote for anybody, I always vote against.
-W. C. Fields

Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,367,304 times
Default Bishop takes 15 vote lead

Absentee count has finished in Smithtown, Southampton, East Hampton, Riverhead, Shelter Island, and Southold. Absentees in 41 of the 294 election districts in Brookhaven have been counted.

According to the Bishop campaign, Bishop is now leading Altschuler by 15 votes. The Altschuler campaign has also so far challenged 212 more ballots than Bishop. The ballots that have been challenged have not been counted.

1st C.D.: Bishop claims the lead

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM

148 posts, read 555,603 times
Default corrections

Nixon was not impeached, he resigned, therefore Cox is not a grandson of an impeached President. ( In no way am I defending Nixon just pointing out what happened)

Also, as someone who voted for Altschuler, I object to the statement that he bought all his voters....I have definitely not received any of that money!

Last edited by rprprprp; 11-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: i before e except after c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island