Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,483,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Unless you've had the opportunity to spend some time working in local government, you really don't have a clue how it works (or doesn't). Apparently you have neither the experience nor the insight to accurately determine when you're smelling a political stench. So I'll make it my business to let you know. And along the way, I'll also continue to supply some factual information to counter the ill-informed mob-mentality that is often found in these threads. You're welcome.
Says you....but anybody who would care to take a look at your posting history will find nothing but 50 pages of playing footsie with Smash255 about him supposedly being upset that Schmitt won or Suozzi lost.

When I go to the store to buy a pair of underwear I don't need to have the experience of working in a Bolivian sweatshop to know what's comfortable and what's a good value. If you ask around, I doubt you'll find many people who think Nassau County or the hundreds of other branches of local government are making it comfortable or a good value to live here. Like I said, NIFA's motivation may very well be political in nature....but had it presented an opportunity to get spending under control I wouldn't have cared and no one else outside The Schwartz Report would have either.

BTW I didn't know that being a retired police officer somehow gives one special insight into the inner workings of the county exec's office. How about the people who paint lines on the road or change burnt out street lights? Do they share this magical telepathic connection as well?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 AM

939 posts, read 1,840,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Says you....but anybody who would care to take a look at your posting history will find nothing but 50 pages of playing footsie with Smash255 about him supposedly being upset that Schmitt won or Suozzi lost.

When I go to the store to buy a pair of underwear I don't need to have the experience of working in a Bolivian sweatshop to know what's comfortable and what's a good value. If you ask around, I doubt you'll find many people who think Nassau County or the hundreds of other branches of local government are making it comfortable or a good value to live here. Like I said, NIFA's motivation may very well be political in nature....but had it presented an opportunity to get spending under control I wouldn't have cared and no one else outside The Schwartz Report would have either.

BTW I didn't know that being a retired police officer somehow gives one special insight into the inner workings of the county exec's office. How about the people who paint lines on the road or change burnt out street lights? Do they share this magical telepathic connection as well?
Years of working in the hierarchy of the police department gives me a whole lot of insight into how lots of things work. And that insight is a hell of a lot better than anything you've got to offer.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,808,559 times
Quote:
Years of working in the hierarchy of the police department gives me a whole lot of insight into how lots of things work. And that insight is a hell of a lot better than anything you've got to offer.
How does working in the police dept give you any special insight on how any of the other County departments work, other than how the police dept works with the county?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
How does working in the police dept give you any special insight on how any of the other County departments work, other than how the police dept works with the county?
The fact that you feel compelled to ask that question demonstrates exactly what I've been talking about. Do you not think that the police department interacts with most of the other county agencies on a variety of levels? DPW, Health Department, Probation, Sheriff's Office, Courts, Social Services ... and on and on. Even the County Exec's Office and the Legislature. Nobody works in a vacuum. And we all gain some insight into how the other departments work through those interactions.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The fact that you feel compelled to ask that question demonstrates exactly what I've been talking about. Do you not think that the police department interacts with most of the other county agencies on a variety of levels? DPW, Health Department, Probation, Sheriff's Office, Courts, Social Services ... and on and on. Even the County Exec's Office and the Legislature. Nobody works in a vacuum. And we all gain some insight into how the other departments work through those interactions.

Thanks for making my point for me.
Not sure how I made your point for you.

You may have interacted with them on a frequency and level that is higher than an "ordinary citizen", but that does not mean that you know the inner workings of each one, or any of them. For example, you may be familiar with some of the policies and procedures that members of the police dept get to know with regular interaction with some of these depts, but that doesn't mean you sit in on their dept meetings where priorities are discussed and created. The same would go for budget meetings. I'm not saying that anyone works in a vacuum, but you make it sound like you're a pseudo member of these other depts, privy to all of their internal information.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Not sure how I made your point for you.

You may have interacted with them on a frequency and level that is higher than an "ordinary citizen", but that does not mean that you know the inner workings of each one, or any of them. For example, you may be familiar with some of the policies and procedures that members of the police dept get to know with regular interaction with some of these depts, but that doesn't mean you sit in on their dept meetings where priorities are discussed and created. The same would go for budget meetings. I'm not saying that anyone works in a vacuum, but you make it sound like you're a pseudo member of these other depts, privy to all of their internal information.

And how do you presume to know how much interaction I've had with these other departments and agencies? You're talking through your ***. And ignorantly, I might add. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with your vast experience with county operations -- or is it simply limited to what you read in Newsday or on the blogs?

Based on many years of management level experience in the county, my insight into county operations (and politics) is far greater than those who have had no interaction with the county -- including the vast majority of whiners on these threads. Period. End of discussion.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
And how do you presume to know how much interaction I've had with these other departments and agencies? You're talking through your ***. And ignorantly, I might add. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with your vast experience with county operations -- or is it simply limited to what you read in Newsday or on the blogs?

Based on many years of management level experience in the county, my insight into county operations (and politics) is far greater than those who have had no interaction with the county -- including the vast majority of whiners on these threads. Period. End of discussion.
So you did sit in meetings for these other departments?

Many people in many positions at many companies deal with other departments within and outside their companies and agencies. This does not make them some kind of expert in other people's business just becasue they dealt with "Bruce" in accounting or "Phil" over at company X or agency Y and got the latest gossip from them.

You make yourself sound like the consummate insider because you worked in the police department and dealt with other county agencies. By that right, people from other departments who dealt with the police department can be considered experts in the inner workings of the NCPD I guess.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,483,625 times
Quote:

Excuse me, did I miss something here? When did this thread turn into a contest to see who has the most intimate knowledge of procedural minutiae at the NCPD? No one is trying to argue this total non-issue with you, and no one cares what greater insight into the machinations of small time local government being a cog in one of it's wheels might give someone. It's great to have an understanding of the day-to-day operations, but all that really matters in the grand scheme of things is the ultimate outcome. Not how the job gets done but how well it gets done. The SOLE purpose of these institutions is to serve the residents of Nassau County, and the only criteria required for having an opinion on that (within reasonable expectation) is living here and experiencing the result of your tax dollars at work. That's why we go to the ballot box and vote for these people. That's why we live in America and not some backwards ass society where all us peasants put our faith in the divine right of the warrior elite to rule over us unconditionally.

Why so much arrogance? What are you sooooo angry about?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Excuse me, did I miss something here? When did this thread turn into a contest to see who has the most intimate knowledge of procedural minutiae at the NCPD? No one is trying to argue this total non-issue with you, and no one cares what greater insight into the machinations of small time local government being a cog in one of it's wheels might give someone. It's great to have an understanding of the day-to-day operations, but all that really matters in the grand scheme of things is the ultimate outcome. Not how the job gets done but how well it gets done. The SOLE purpose of these institutions is to serve the residents of Nassau County, and the only criteria required for having an opinion on that (within reasonable expectation) is living here and experiencing the result of your tax dollars at work. That's why we go to the ballot box and vote for these people. That's why we live in America and not some backwards ass society where all us peasants put our faith in the divine right of the warrior elite to rule over us unconditionally.

Why so much arrogance? What are you sooooo angry about?
Well, since it's coming from a man who certainly knows a good political stench when he smells one....

You opened the door, skippy. Until you felt compelled to throw some mud this was simply a discussion about NIFA. And you're apparently having some difficulty with reading interpretation since this has never been about "NCPD procedural minutiae." It's about insight into how government works. Two very different things.

I'm done. This is getting very tedious. Like when my kids were real young. They couldn't accept "Because I said so" either.

Last edited by pdcnret; 11-13-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM

35 posts, read 41,592 times
Quote:
In my experience, those who use the argument " you can't comment on X unless you have been an X" are hiding behind a poor debating tactic that disallows anyone from commenting on X due to their lack of experience, and those that can comment will agree with the person making the failed assertion. It's too bad life doesn't work that way and someone can have an educated opinion on X without having been X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island