Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,197,412 times

Advertisements

Top lawyer hired to comb Nassau's finances

Here's the lead in:

Quote:
As Nassau's finances continue to wobble, a state monitoring board that has the power to take control of the county's books has hired a high-powered lawyer to guide its actions.

The Nassau Interim Finance Authority has hired Judith Kaye, former chief justice of the state Court of Appeals, and her law firm, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, to interpret the state law that created NIFA in 2000 to watch the county's finances.

NIFA chairman Ronald Stack said Tuesday that Kaye would be lead counsel for the Manhattan law firm, which is "reviewing our legislation, our powers and processes and procedures."

He declined to give more specifics or to say whether NIFA was contemplating a takeover of the county's books, but this is the first time in NIFA's 10-year history that the agency has hired outside counsel to research its authority.
Check out who they hired:

http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?con...=45&bioID=9178

They must be paying a FORTUNE for her and her big money firm.

Looks like they are EXTREMELY SERIOUS about making some big changes PLUS making sure those changes can withstand challenges!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 4 hours ago)

19,655 posts, read 20,457,118 times
...and nothing will change...

Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If they take over some things will change ... otherwise, why take over?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM

56,901 posts, read 25,829,226 times
Quote:
Well it did change in 2000 at least temporarily, even temprary change inNassau is exciting.

I don't think NIFA really wants to take over and this budget meets the 1% budget deficit criteria. This is a much bigger step than when a financial control board took over Buffalo and they want to be sure of their aurthority. If they are going to take over then I assume they will be freezing all pay raises.

The Buffalo Teachers Union and other municipal employees filed suit against the control board when their contract was frozen I assume that will be the case here with the police and other municipal workers. I don't understand why they need to hire an outside firm to determine their authority since there was prior experience in Buffalo. The suit that they filed in 2006 went to the US Appeals Court that sided with the control board.

464 F.3d 362

Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 4 hours ago)

19,655 posts, read 20,457,118 times
You have to hire an outside firm for anything related to Nassau County.
Preferably a firm no less than 500 miles away.
Nassau is so corrupt that this is the only way to maybe even possibly having a shot in hell of getting a legitmate outcome.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well it did change in 2000 at least temporarily, even temprary change inNassau is exciting.

I don't think NIFA really wants to take over and this budget meets the 1% budget deficit criteria. This is a much bigger step than when a financial control board took over Buffalo and they want to be sure of their aurthority. If they are going to take over then I assume they will be freezing all pay raises.

The Buffalo Teachers Union and other municipal employees filed suit against the control board when their contract was frozen I assume that will be the case here with the police and other municipal workers. I don't understand why they need to hire an outside firm to determine their authority since there was prior experience in Buffalo. The suit that they filed in 2006 went to the US Appeals Court that sided with the control board.

464 F.3d 362
They may not want to, but they must think they may have to eventually.

I don't know if they can freeze the contracts that are costing Nassau the most ... the teachers' unions.

Does anyone know if back when they took control before, were they able to do anything about the teachers' unions, or were they prohibited since they are employees of school districts?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You have to hire an outside firm for anything related to Nassau County.
Preferably a firm no less than 500 miles away.
Nassau is so corrupt that this is the only way to maybe even possibly having a shot in hell of getting a legitmate outcome.
I am glad to see a tiny glimmer of optimism in you, karl.

I've been worried about your very depressed posts lately.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM

22,121 posts, read 19,333,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They may not want to, but they must think they may have to eventually.

I don't know if they can freeze the contracts that are costing Nassau the most ... the teachers' unions.

Does anyone know if back when they took control before, were they able to do anything about the teachers' unions, or were they prohibited since they are employees of school districts?
It doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. NIFA examines the various steps the county could take with its budget, the schools don't enter into that discussion because the county has no control whatsoever over the school districts.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Default So basically ... NIFA can do NOTHING about the unions breaking the taxpayers' backs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. NIFA examines the various steps the county could take with its budget, the schools don't enter into that discussion because the county has no control whatsoever over the school districts.
Okay people, we might as well move right along ... nothing to see here!

The unions that are killing us in taxes will be chugging merrily along at full speed with their increases and all we can "hope for" is freezes to the limited in number police force and all the "little people" who run Nassau County and don't get anything above the ordinary ... freezing them is not something I am hoping for. It won't do much for our property tax bills either, I am afraid.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am glad to see a tiny glimmer of optimism in you, karl.

I've been worried about your very depressed posts lately.
We can get depressed again, karl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island