Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,331,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
Nice attitude. I'm surprised you don't say the same thing about children in orphanges or group homes.

And before you say I'm one of those people who would rather save an animal before a child, I'm not. I'm the the type of person who would risk his life for an animal or a child because both need our protection.

And what would really help lower the stray animal population would be for owners to spay/neuter their pets when they are old enough and realize caring for a pet is a long-term commitment with alot of responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

Maybe then we would hear less about people giving up their cat because the litter box stinks up the house or their dog because their apartment doesn't allow pets.

He does say the same stuff about kids in orphanages. Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,464,300 times
I have no problems having a well run shelter. I've gotten all but one of my dogs from people giving away unwanted puppies, dogs found on a porch, or shelter pups. Problem with shelters is that half the dogs in there are pitbull or pit-mix from low lifes who think that a pit is a ferocious dog and the thug appeal (same with rotties and dobies in the 80s and 90s). Allowing dogs to be adopted is great, sadly yes some are euthanized. Killing every dog isn't the answer, still plenty of responsible people who don't buy into the "designer mutt" trend and want a dog for the right reasons and are willing to pick from those dogs who have had a tough life.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,090,348 times
Disgrace. What could the reason possibly be? Why could they stop allowing people to RESCUE dogs? Isn't that the point of the shelter?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Disgrace. What could the reason possibly be? Why could they stop allowing people to RESCUE dogs? Isn't that the point of the shelter?

I don't think they banned the volunteers because they witnessed abuse of some of the animals. The fact that here you have another republican committeeman heading the agency is another story. They have a
$7 million budget and 32 full time employees yet the animals are not receiving proper care. Milone and the other supervisor that were removed made a combined $200,000 in salary and neither had any prior experience.

If TOH can't run a cemetary why would we expect them to run an animal shelter?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM

They have a $7 Million budget and no veternarian on staff? now they are hiring a pet Rescue Liason and Behavorist. I have to wonder what political hacks without any qualifications are working there already.

I know all is good in the Town of Hempstead because they have a good bond rating. How they keep electing these people escapes me.

Anyway thanks to the volunteers for bringing yet another abuse by TOH to light.

Changes Ordered At Town Of Hempstead Animal Shelter « CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They have a $7 Million budget and no veternarian on staff? now they are hiring a pet Rescue Liason and Behavorist. I have to wonder what political hacks without any qualifications are working there already.

I know all is good in the Town of Hempstead because they have a good bond rating. How they keep electing these people escapes me.

Anyway thanks to the volunteers for bringing yet another abuse by TOH to light.

Changes Ordered At Town Of Hempstead Animal Shelter « CBS New York – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY
Kate Murray probably thinks she will need a photo op with cute puppies and kittens in the near future ...

Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 AM

I guess this falls under the heading of let no good deed go unpunished as the TOH accusing voluteers of seeling dogs from the shelter in response to their complaints about abuse.

I can't wait for the TOH rain-man like response, "we have a good bond rating" so all is good.

"Even with a budget of $7.1 million, the volunteers claim that the shelter failed to provide the animals at the shelter with preventative or corrective medical care, training, behavioral assessments. "

Animal rescuers sue Town of Hempstead - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping=

Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,982,022 times
Always 3 sides to these stories:

1. I tried to discuss an adoption with one of the women (rescuers) who was barred. She was an arrogant and obnoxious "cat lady" nutjob and I do not blame the shelter at all for not wanting to deal with her. I found her through Pet Finder when I was inquiring about a cat that was listed.

2. The shelter probably does a halfa** job of treating the pets sometimes. They get the worst of the worst cases, primarily pit bulls and terrier mixes and much of the staff makes close to minimum wage. In fairness I have been there and it seems no worse than the other town shelters, in fact the cat area was quite good. Still, like hospitals and nursing homes, I'm sure there are sadistic losers who provide less than adequate care. Most, however seem to care for animals and do as good a job as they can. It can't be easy taking care of pitbulls and feral cats all day. It's difficult and heartbreaking. I'm sure there are plenty of political and management hassles as there are in every gov't entity.

3. While many of the "rescuers" are honest, there are lots (see Petfinder.org's listings) that take the more adoptable pets out of the shelter (where they have already received shots, spay/neuter and microchip at taxpayer's expense) and list them for adoption with an "adoption fee" ($100+) to cover the costs the shelter already covered. They often claim they are saving the most in danger when actually they are taking the most adoptable ones, leaving the shelter with the most problematic cases and hurting the shelter's ability to attract people to adopt. These are often the ones you see at Petsmart and Petco for an "adoption fee."

So there is plenty of blame to go around. Underfunded and mismanaged shelters, shady (and obnoxious) "for-profit" rescues, people who do not take responsibility for the pets they buy or adopt.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM

If volunteers are selling pets fro profit they should be taken to task but it’s a very large coincidence that this charge was made only after the volunteers offered criticism of the conditions. If that place is under funded at 7.1 Million then they need to take a closer look at where the money is going. Over $3 Million of their budget goes to salaries including Halbert $134,051, Milone $112,004, Thorne $105,200 and Mirenda $99,858. Most of their 32 employees I would expect are close to minimum wage yet you have these people making those types of salaries at an animal shelter. Maybe its not normal procedure but it seems that money could be used to hire a veterinarian.I would not say the shelter is under funded, mismanaged but certainly not under funded. Someone needs to look at where that money is going but it doesn’t appear it is getting to the right places.

By the way isn’t it an amazing coincidence that 3 republican committeemen ended up being the most qualified to mange the shelter.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,982,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If volunteers are selling pets fro profit they should be taken to task but it’s a very large coincidence that this charge was made only after the volunteers offered criticism of the conditions. If that place is under funded at 7.1 Million then they need to take a closer look at where the money is going. Over $3 Million of their budget goes to salaries including Halbert $134,051, Milone $112,004, Thorne $105,200 and Mirenda $99,858. Most of their 32 employees I would expect are close to minimum wage yet you have these people making those types of salaries at an animal shelter. Maybe its not normal procedure but it seems that money could be used to hire a veterinarian.I would not say the shelter is under funded, mismanaged but certainly not under funded. Someone needs to look at where that money is going but it doesn’t appear it is getting to the right places.

By the way isn’t it an amazing coincidence that 3 republican committeemen ended up being the most qualified to mange the shelter.
Good points. My mention of "underfunded shelters" was a general knock. I did not know if it was underfunded or not. As for the salaries, it doesn't sound any different than any school district or special district on the island with ridiculous admin salaries and no proof of productivity or effectiveness.

As for the coincidence, isn't that true of most of ToH and the corrupt repub machine from the crooked building dept to the shelter straight up to big Kate herself. And yet they win in a landslide every election.

It's a bit of what came first, the chicken or egg. Whether the shelter barred the rescuers or the rescuers complained about conditions. I think it was sort of simultaneous. I dealt with one (she is one of the 3) and she was a nightmare of an arrogant obnoxious yenta. The cat I inquired about mysteriously moved from the shelter (free adoptions until January) to Petsmart ($95 adoption "fee"). I found that a little suspicious. I'm sure the shelter would too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island