Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM

176 posts, read 726,158 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Next year hubby and i will finally make jump and purchase a home, we looked into Westbury as it has good schools and it is diversed. It also has shops and all kinds of entertainment which is great. When I looked on realtor.com I noticed the prices was surprisingly affordable for nassau county. I saw decent homes for 380k that didnt require major renovations and homes for 330k which required kitchen and floors nothing major but just face lift. Why is it so affordable? I was thinking homes were going to cost 400k and above, anyone knows? I'm curious because it has gotten me really excited yet cautious. Reading about the town it seems it sustains it values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,079 times
It's cheap because it's the newest DIVERSED Nassau Cty Ghetto.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM

176 posts, read 726,158 times
Really? What makes it ghetto is it the people moving in? I just havent seen anything in Westbury to be considered ghetto.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,229,900 times
I had family there and even as far back as the 80's they choose not to send their kids ot the public schools in Westbury. Have they impoved? I have no idea but usually the house prices are related to the quality of the schools (or at least the perception of the quality).

Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,557,715 times
Default A map of the Westbury Union Free School District

Veve0308, the Westbury Union Free School District includes the Hamlet of New Cassel, a predominantly minority community that is considered very "sketchy", and thus many families in the Village of Westbury and, especially in the Village of Old Westbury, that are within the Westbury Union Free School District send their children to private school or as non-resident tuition-paying students to other gov't school districts.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Westbury Union Free School District includes all or part of the Village of Old Westbury, the Hamlet of New Cassel and the Village of Westbury.

A map of the Westbury Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable homes in Westbury, why?-westburyufsd.gif  

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Veve0308, please bear in mind that that Westbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address (4,302 acres) are not in the village (1,511 acres):

Places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address that are not in the Village of Westbury are in the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead; and, the Hamlet of Salisbury, the Hamlet of East Garden City and the Hamlet of East Meadow in the Town of Hempstead; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Westbury with a "Carle Place, NY 11514" mailing address.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,719,241 times
There is a moderate but thriving MS-13 (& other gangs) presence in Westbury. Those houses are probably in the crappier part to boot.
The schools ?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
There is a moderate but thriving MS-13 (& other gangs) presence in Westbury. Those houses are probably in the crappier part to boot.
Hamlet of New Cassel ???

(All of the Hamlet of New Cassel, which is to the immediate east of the Village of Westbury, has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.)

Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,719,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Hamlet of New Cassel ???

(All of the Hamlet of New Cassel, which is to the immediate east of the Village of Westbury, has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.)
You're right, the eastern portion of WEstbury after Post ave into the hamlet of New Cassel. Most people lump that hamlet into Westbury, I think even MLSLI is technically posting the wrong village/hamlet on many properties.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
... I think even MLSLI is technically posting the wrong village/hamlet on many properties.

Yes, oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

Folks can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island