Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:04 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,754,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I think the census is off on this one, Cooperage doesn't appear to be anywhere near Northville, but it does look like its right on the border [Calverton / BH]

I agree, Calverton is on the west side of RH. Northville is on the northest side of RH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM

46 posts, read 101,170 times
Scottzilla was spot on in saying people (on LI at least) use diversity to judge school districts......sad but true. LI is a very bias community.....all about what zip code you live in. One just needs to look beyond diversity and see the many students in RH heading off to great colleges. They have great sport programs, many AP courses and their Latin club dominates nation-wide...they must be doing something right. In the end, a more diverse popluation will better prepare students for the real world. Also, BH and Calverton share the same zip code.......BH is basically a hamlet of Calverton.....if it even matters........Northville is more east. As far as distance to the LIE.....I moved out from Port Jeff Sta and it took me longer to commute to the Ext 62 on the LIE then it does from BH.....Rt 83 is the worst.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,596,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Fan View Post
... BH is basically a hamlet of Calverton.....
Both Baiting Hollow and Calverton are hamlets, and, according to New York State definition, hamlets can not be part of other hamlets.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,596,365 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County

A map of the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County:

Baiting Hollow is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow have a "Calverton, NY 11933" and "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,098,726 times
Baiting Hollow is very nice and close enough to most major busineses and highways, farm land, and the north fork (my favorite).

Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,122,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Baiting Hollow is very nice and close enough to most major busineses and highways, farm land, and the north fork (my favorite).
I agree. If not for the High School it would be perfect.I love it out there.

SWR looks like its on the eve of destruction tax wise and people are dumping on the cheap. Maybe the folks will look to redistrict or merge.If Baiting Hollow was in SWR (or if Riverhead SD broke N/S to include SWR) would be very, very compelling.

JM2C

Crooks

Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I agree. If not for the High School it would be perfect.I love it out there.

SWR looks like its on the eve of destruction tax wise and people are dumping on the cheap. Maybe the folks will look to redistrict or merge.If Baiting Hollow was in SWR (or if Riverhead SD broke N/S to include SWR) would be very, very compelling.

JM2C

Crooks
Uh, when was the last time on Long Island they redistricted two school districts? Not start a new district like Mt. Sinai but change district borders.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Not sure...Sachem sort of.

If Riverhead absorbed SWR it would only be one.

SWR has a pretty big bill due fro Prodell +++ Riverhead may want nothing to do with it.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Not sure...Sachem sort of.

If Riverhead absorbed SWR it would only be one.

SWR has a pretty big bill due fro Prodell +++ Riverhead may want nothing to do with it.
I live in SWR district and I don't think we have ever considered merging. Districts are looking to get smaller, not larger.

BTW, what SD did Sachem absorbed. I never heard about this?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I live in SWR district and I don't think we have ever considered merging. Districts are looking to get smaller, not larger.

BTW, what SD did Sachem absorbed. I never heard about this?

Actually the reverse is true due to scale of economy these days and punitive taxes.Our Library is in Shoreham and weve been hearing some serious concerns about taxes. We have a friend who jumped 2500 last year alone and is anticipating another 2k this year.The Prodell school is on the verge of collapse and theyve exhausted their reserves.Meging with WR East BH and Calverton might be a solid move.

Sachem went with North and West I think and has some of the lowest taxes on LI for a competitive SD. I think the Sachem model works, I suspect well see more consolidation inn the future.

Thats good to know that youre near by...what are you hearing about the SD( if anything)?

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island