Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Uh, when was the last time on Long Island they redistricted two school districts? Not start a new district like Mt. Sinai but change district borders.
I'm guessing the areas near Pond Path and Mark Tree that are just south of route 347 but north of nicholls and in the 11720 zip code but the kids go to Three Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Three Village Central School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm guessing the areas near Pond Path and Mark Tree that are just south of route 347 but north of nicholls and in the 11720 zip code but the kids go to Three Village.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Three Village Central School District includes all or part of the Village of Old Field, the Village of Poquott, the Village of Port Jefferson, the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, the Hamlet of Terryville, the Hamlet of Centereach, the Village of Lake Grove, the Hamlet of Stony Brook, the Village of Head of the Harbor and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket.

A map of the Three Village Central School District:
Attached Thumbnails
Baiting Hollow is a great place to live-threevillagecsd.gif  

Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM

149 posts, read 345,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I live in SWR district and I don't think we have ever considered merging. Districts are looking to get smaller, not larger.

BTW, what SD did Sachem absorbed. I never heard about this?
I live in SWR school district too.....it def needs some help but I cannot see them merging with riverhead - these are two big districts. Regarding sachem - i just know sachem has 2 high schools...north & east.

To the OP - I am very happy for you !!! There is no feeling better than LOVING where you live !!! I just moved here 6 weeks ago and I am on cloud 9
\

Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 AM

46 posts, read 101,456 times
Thanks tcba.....i agree there is no better feeling than loving where you live....that's why I'm on BH fan.....actually the entire Northfolk from Wading River to the Orient is the place to be on LI. As far as SWR merging with RH I have not heard any such rumors. It would benefit SWR residents more since our taxes have been very stable these past 5 years. They will actually decrease slightly next year for RH residents. However, they go up 22% for those on the Southampton side which includes Flanders, Riverside and Northampton. The biggest issue facing RH district is infracture needs which we'll probably see an 80-90 million dollar bond vote in 2011. There are big plans being discussed for the District which will surely increase property values. Also, just to challenge any negative perceptions about the district RH High School took 8 of 12 Latin awards in a recent event against the precieved "prestigous" schools like Commack, Port Jeff and others. hmmm.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

172 posts, read 292,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, located at 2218 Sound Avenue, the Cooperage Inn is in the Hamlet of Northville ("Calverton, NY 11933" mailing address).
No way is the COoperage in the "Hamlet of Northville". Northville is north of Jamesport and eastern Aquebogue. The Cooperage is in Calverton/Baiting Hollow.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM

172 posts, read 292,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I agree. If not for the High School it would be perfect.I love it out there.

SWR looks like its on the eve of destruction tax wise and people are dumping on the cheap. Maybe the folks will look to redistrict or merge.If Baiting Hollow was in SWR (or if Riverhead SD broke N/S to include SWR) would be very, very compelling.

JM2C

Crooks
What RIverhead needs to do is dump Flanders. Flanders is in Southampton. The students should go to Hampton Bays. Riverhead schools would cut most of their mandated state funds (i.e. free luches) if the students who live in Flanders went where they should be going--to the Hampton Bays schools.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
No way is the COoperage in the "Hamlet of Northville". Northville is north of Jamesport and eastern Aquebogue.
Agreed.

It would appear that the Census Bureau misclassified this location. It should be in the Hamlet of Calverton.

Northville is north of both Aquebogue and Jamesport, with the southern border of Northville the northern border of Aquebogue and Jamesport.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Riverhead schools AP program honored by College Board

The Riverhead School District was one of only nine Long Island school districts recently named to the College Board’s second annual AP District Honor Roll. The list recognizes schools which have “provided increased access to Advanced Placement coursework while also increasing the percentage of students who earn a score of three or above on AP exams,” according to a press release issued by the district.
The other Long Island districts were Commack, Copiague, Eastport-South Manor, Harborfields, Herricks, Levittown, Sayville and Syosset. Most colleges will grant college credit to high school students who earn at least a score of three on an AP exam.
In 2007, 140 students in Riverhead took 210 AP Exams and in 2011, 309 students took 548 exams. In that same time, students with scores of 3 or higher on an AP exam increased from 87 in 2007 to 146 in 2011.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

RHS WINS 2ND AND 3RD AT REGIONAL RUBE GOLDBERG COMPETITION
(February 15, 2012) Riverhead High School physics students took second and third place at the Regional level of the National Rube Goldberg Competition on Saturday, Feruary 11, at the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City. Riverhead's teams competed against teams from all over Long Island and New York City.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Riverhead team triumphs in youth court competition

The Riverhead girls basketball team wasn’t the only local team to win a title and make history this month.

The Riverhead Youth Court took first place the 10th Annual Youth Court Competition last Thursday at Southampton Town Justice Court.

The local team is made up of 46 students from grades 8 through 12 who hail from the Riverhead, Southold, Rocky Point and Shoreham-Wading River districts, although the team is overwhelmingly from Riverhead.

They competed against youth court teams from Huntington, Brookhaven and Southampton towns.

“This is the seventh year that we’ve been competing and we finally won first place. This is our first win,” said Detective Evelyn Hobson of the Riverhead Town police juvenile aid bureau, who along with youth counselor Beth Maccagli, serves as mentors for the program.

Riverhead has had a youth court for about 20 years and was the first East End municipality to do so, Det. Hobson said.

Youth court is not simply a mock trial. It involves real cases involving youth offenders referred to the youth court by probation and the local town justice court.

And while youngsters play the roles of judge, jurors, prosecutor and defense attorney in a youth court, the rulings that result from the court are also real sentences that must be followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island