Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM

244 posts, read 632,748 times

Advertisements

A Few points...

1. Wife went to SWR, MIL taught there, both have nothing but the highest praise for the school district. I also knew others before getting married to the wife who had high praise for the district as well. I have never heard of problems in the district before, but several here seem to be verifying them, what are the issues? My in-laws taxes have been very stable, and the house we are looking at buying has had stable taxes as well. Curious on what the issues are?

2. As far as Riverhead, I agree it is much better than its overall reputation. That being said I know many people who have graduated in the past 10 years, and a lot of them still have a very negative impression of the school. I also know some parents with kids there and they don't have high praise either. So I'd say Riverhead is certainly better than its island wide perception, but not quite a "good" district yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM

46 posts, read 101,179 times
Tek....in my view SWR is a very good District as are all Districts on the east end.....including Riverhead. The question comes down to whether you want your kids to be educated in a more diverse school. Personally I'd prefer a more real world educational environment for my kids. I have two in the district and they both love thier school and have lots of great friends. I have no complaints about the District. Great teachers and great programs. I believe the school taxes in the SWD jumped 25 percent two years ago. Hopefully they are stable now. There was also a concern the state was going to close one of the schools because of infrastructure issues at one time but I believe it was resolved. That said, you can't go wrong with the area. The entire North folk from Wading River east is a great place to live. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM

The TOP FIFTEEN in the Class of 2012 at Riverhead High School. College acceptances for the class of 2012 include: Cornell, NYU, Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Amherst, Dartmouth, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale.
See Riverhead School District for more info.

Additionally, % of grads recieving Regents dipolmas is 89.9% in RH and 89% in SWR. Not bad for a District percieved as "not quite good yet".

Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 PM

244 posts, read 632,748 times
Good for them. Does not change the fact that even amongst Riverhead residents views of the school are still not positive. They still don't rank high overall (Although we can quibble over every possible ranking) on school rankings. Is it improving? Yes. I'd still argue that its not there yet.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

I guess it depends on where "there" means. If you have students heading off the Ivy League and comparable assessment scores to neighboring districts I guess they're not "there" yet either. I, as do many parents I know personally, think highly of the District. I have friends in Miller Place who complain about their District. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
Bravo BH Fan. I'm a Riverhead resident and never quite understood why the preception of our District isn't as positive as other districts. We have great programs and a great student population. We have a great AP program, partnership with Suffolk Community College so students can actually attend college classes on campus during their junior and senior years to earn college credits and all our sports teams were recognized as scholar athletes. Beats me why peole don't like us but I could care less what others think.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,123,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Fan View Post
I guess it depends on where "there" means. If you have students heading off the Ivy League and comparable assessment scores to neighboring districts I guess they're not "there" yet either. I, as do many parents I know personally, think highly of the District. I have friends in Miller Place who complain about their District. Oh well, you can't please everyone.
Miller Place is a much better district.

I love BH but Riverhead is pretty rough at the HS level crime wise.
Most folks just pony up for Mercy but I do hear the primary schools are all pretty good.

Nice to hear about its recent success though.
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...r-High-School/

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-04-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM

251 posts, read 586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Miller Place is a much better district and area.

I love BH but Riverhead is pretty rough at the HS level crime wise.
Most folks just pony up for Mercy but I do hear the primary schools are all pretty good.

Nice to hear about its recent success though.
Riverhead Senior High School - Riverhead, New York - NY - School overview

Crooks

I'm just curious how you can make a comment like this? Do you have children that attend the school? Do you have any first hand knowledge of particular instances that happened at this school? I have quite a bit of insight on this school, directly from people who have and currently do attend RH High School.

Just like any large school, there is the good, the bad and the in between. I'm making a wild guess here that whatever stigma that the town of riverehead and its school has had in years past is still attached to it and thats where you have based your opinion from.

I can also tell you that Mercy is not what you think it is. There are many students that are attending Mercy due to the fact that they were kicked out of public schools and their parents are forced to pay for them to go somewhere.....if you live on the east end......that somewhere is Mercy.

Also, Mercy is a widely diverse school in terms of atendees. These atendees that I am referring to are diverse in terms of their home addresses. More than half of them are not even from Riverehead Township..........so no, most certainly do not pony up for their children to attend that school.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,123,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
I'm just curious how you can make a comment like this? Do you have children that attend the school? Do you have any first hand knowledge of particular instances that happened at this school? I have quite a bit of insight on this school, directly from people who have and currently do attend RH High School.

Just like any large school, there is the good, the bad and the in between. I'm making a wild guess here that whatever stigma that the town of riverehead and its school has had in years past is still attached to it and thats where you have based your opinion from.

I can also tell you that Mercy is not what you think it is. There are many students that are attending Mercy due to the fact that they were kicked out of public schools and their parents are forced to pay for them to go somewhere.....if you live on the east end......that somewhere is Mercy.

Also, Mercy is a widely diverse school in terms of atendees. These atendees that I am referring to are diverse in terms of their home addresses. More than half of them are not even from Riverehead Township..........so no, most certainly do not pony up for their children to attend that school.
I do have some friends with kids in Jamesport (Aquebogue School?) who love it, but the Greatschools HS rating of 5 speaks for itself.
http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...r-High-School/

They have told me they'll definitely be sending their kids to Mercy, or moving when the time comes.They still have a few years though.
Listen if the schools were any good everyone would move there and ruin it.
JK
; )

Good luck...enjoy.
It is beautiful out there.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-05-2012 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Thank you Prag and noupf! I couldn't agree more! Crooks and I go back a long way and he loves to get the last word in. I dont thinks he's ever been to Riverhead. Right Crooks! I'll bet many believe Miller Place is a much better District simply because its all white. Sad but true. I find it amusing that some need to diminish other towns and school districts (not just riverhead) because god forbid thier isn't the best. I purposely tested this theory by simply posting some factual achievements and instead of positive comments about our kids it's alway some negative perception or hearsay. I say to anyone to come out and see for yourself. I'm glad I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island