Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,972,759 times

Advertisements

"Well, the teachers pay high property taxes too."

I'm the beneficiary of the high property taxes because my wife is a teacher. Trust me, the benefits far, far outweigh the relative costs of our own property taxes. This argument is completely absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"Well, the teachers pay high property taxes too."

I'm the beneficiary of the high property taxes because my wife is a teacher. Trust me, the benefits far, far outweigh the relative costs of our own property taxes. This argument is completely absurd.
I don't think anyone made that argument, you may want to reread the posts. The point is that teachers on Long Island are subject to the same costs that make this a high COL area (Fed and state taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, housing costs, insurance, auto, utilities, etc...). Where the costs are high, and this is not news, public sector employees may make more than public sector employees in low cost areas. It is also not news that public sector employees tend to have greater benefits (including due process rights, pensions, insurance etc) .than private sector employees. Yawn.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM

31 posts, read 50,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I don't think anyone made that argument, you may want to reread the posts. The point is that teachers on Long Island are subject to the same costs that make this a high COL area (Fed and state taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, housing costs, insurance, auto, utilities, etc...). Where the costs are high, and this is not news, public sector employees may make more than public sector employees in low cost areas. It is also not news that public sector employees tend to have greater benefits (including due process rights, pensions, insurance etc) .than private sector employees. Yawn.
In addition to the fact that many private sector jobs on Long Island are undercompensated and don't pay inappropriate relation to the COL. One of the reasons we need more fine industry.

I second what Quick Commenter said, private sector never had the benefits that public sector employees had, unless its a wealthy, massive company (PwC comes to mind). Difference was that private sector would pay a lot higher salaries. However like I said Long Island private sector is very underpaid.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,980,441 times
Dang I thought it was rough that my kid's 2nd grade teacher makes $130k until I just found out his GYM teacher makes
$124k!!! Yee haaaaaa! 2nd grade gym teacher? $124k?! Is there anybody out there?!? Twilight zone.....................

Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM

31 posts, read 50,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Dang I thought it was rough that my kid's 2nd grade teacher makes $130k until I just found out his GYM teacher makes
$124k!!! Yee haaaaaa! 2nd grade gym teacher? $124k?! Is there anybody out there?!? Twilight zone.....................
Well there is an obesity epidemic in this country

Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,917,617 times
$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $118,000 if you're living in Manhattan.

$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $83,000 if you're living in Queens.

$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $99,000 if you're living in Brooklyn

here, have fun:
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 PM

56,948 posts, read 25,881,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Vida View Post
In addition to the fact that many private sector jobs on Long Island are undercompensated and don't pay inappropriate relation to the COL. One of the reasons we need more fine industry.

I second what Quick Commenter said, private sector never had the benefits that public sector employees had, unless its a wealthy, massive company (PwC comes to mind). Difference was that private sector would pay a lot higher salaries. However like I said Long Island private sector is very underpaid.
What professional jobs in the private sector are youreferring to that are under compensated, yes there are less professional jobs than in the past but I would not classify them as undercompensated.

Truth is public sector compensation has far outpaced the middle class, when you have kindergarten teachers being paid $130K with those benefits, I would say that is rather extreme compared to other private professionals.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $118,000 if you're living in Manhattan.

$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $83,000 if you're living in Queens.

$50,000 annual salary in Indiana is comparable to $99,000 if you're living in Brooklyn

here, have fun:
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
I don't live in Indiana. I live on Long Island. I know what it costs to live here and I know the median income and free market salary range. Comparisons to E. Podunk are pointless. They don't factor into the situation here. I'm sure the taxpayers there are struggling similarly with the same issue of lopsided public salaries and benefits.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What professional jobs in the private sector are youreferring to that are under compensated, yes there are less professional jobs than in the past but I would not classify them as undercompensated.

Truth is public sector compensation has far outpaced the middle class, when you have kindergarten teachers being paid $130K with those benefits, I would say that is rather extreme compared to other private professionals.
My daughter's physics teacher has 35 years of experience (at least) and I saw his salary is 129K. Should I get excited over that? It is a high COL area, but he could probably get by on less. Maybe he should get a raise?

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-19-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
My daughter's physics teacher has 35 years of experience (at least) and I saw his salary is 129K. Should I get excited over that? It is a high COL area, but he could probably get by on less. Maybe he should get a raise?
Damn, $129k for a partial year job with stellar benefits? How does he survive? Must be living on cat food and ramen. With all that experience he should teach at the university level...where it pays $95k and half the benefits. I doubt he's interested. I'm sure he's a good teacher. He's also an extremely well compensated teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island