Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,976,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Vida View Post
I wouldn't call teaching a partial job, they only get off for July and August so they work 10 months of the year. The big accounting firms you're entitled to one month off after working for 3 years. If a physics teacher really wanted to make bank he can work for nanotech and make six figures after 5 years, instead of 35 when working as a public school teacher.
1. It takes more than a master's in science education to make "bank" in nanotech and the jobs are extremely competitive for REAL reasons as opposed to people holding on to union gigs to pad their pension.
2. A teacher makes $129k in most LI districts LONG before 35 years. Maybe this teacher worked elsewhere or in another field.

You have this weird thing about "fine" industries.
1. We all know LI has very few of them and the myriad reasons why (gazillions of posts and threads on here).
2. Kids coming out of MIT are lucky to be getting $100k to start in those high tech industries you mention. Unless you are in upper management or top tier sales (and you aint working "partial" anything in those jobs and you may get a month off but good luck taking it...those jobs are high pressure and long hours) you aren't making bank.

Teaching on LI is an exceptionally cushy gig. Partial year's work (35hrs/wk, 10 mos yr, it's in the job description).

I don't resent the teachers. I resent the broken system that proliferates the exodus of "fine" industries and breaks the backs of the taxpayer in the name of "slightly above average education."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,189,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I don't resent the teachers. I resent the broken system that proliferates the exodus of "fine" industries and breaks the backs of the taxpayer in the name of "slightly above average education."
Yay mongoose!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The average teacher in the mid west is about $54,000 a year...that's why I picked the $50,000 income. Teachers in areas where cost of living is higher will be paid more, fact of life.
All this says is they are both well compensated based on local medians. No argument there.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Man these arguments are so off base. It doesn't matter what you "need" to on live based on COL, it is salaries compared to median incomes, free market salary ranges, $ value of benefits, $ value of hours worked, etc. We ALL have the same cost of living and the same cost burdens. We DON'T all have tax payer provided salaries and incentives that are egregiously above average for the job, market and median salary levels. Let's come back to earth. $129k for a 2nd grade gym teacher is ridiculously fricken' good money!!! Spin it all day long and you're still full of it.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,636,473 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call teaching a partial job, they only get off for July and August so they work 10 months of the year. The big accounting firms you're entitled to one month off after working for 3 years. If a physics teacher really wanted to make bank he can work for nanotech and make six figures after 5 years, instead of 35 when working as a public school teacher.
You should read a teacher's contract, available at seethroughny.net, before you comment about what their responsibilities are. All public schools systems on LI have ~180 active days. Give that there are ~252 working days in a year that means teachers are off ~28% of the time. The typical school day at the elementary level is 6.25 hours. An MA can reach $100k at the 9-year mark without any extra-curriculars or coaching or adding credits. The above does not include a guaranteed pension of which the vast majority is funded by the taxpayer.

Oh yeah, lets add in for Moderator cut: language removed and giggles the employment protection provide by the Taylor Law and the compensation protection provided by the binding arbitration clause.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-29-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
My daughter's physics teacher has 35 years of experience (at least) and I saw his salary is 129K. Should I get excited over that? It is a high COL area, but he could probably get by on less. Maybe he should get a raise?

Interesting because I see it differently. I figure he 40K in State and Federal taxes, probably 11K in property taxes, the highest housing costs in the land, auto, auto insurance, utilities, food, etc etc in our high COL area. Just can't get excited or jealous about that. 35 years experience teaching high school physics. Or even sarcastic.
My world history teacher in high school had been teaching for over 40 years and had a PHD. His salary topped out at about $72,000 per year, this being in Indiana where the average teachers makes around $50,000 per year.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM

31 posts, read 50,717 times
I don't mean to be rude but these posts whining about teacher salaries and taxes are ridiculous. Now people are telling me what the average pay is in my field who probably don't even work in the field. If you don't think fine industry pays as well or more than Long Island school districts, then look at Silicon Valley private sector salaries where the COL is just as high as Long Island..and public school teachers there also make six figures!

Property taxes are high but I think you're forgetting we live in the NE, the highest taxed region in the country. So say if property taxes are reduced to $6000 (and they'll never go below that because we're in the NE, let alone NYC region)..you're only going to save around $5000 annually. What can you sufficiently do with that other than take a tropical vacation or send one of your children to private school.

All these posters complaining about salaries, criticizing teachers and their work. Tell me what do you all day that gives you the right to constantly bash teachers, their pay, and pension. It seems to me that most of you are posting after post during normal work hours indicating you have loads of free time. I can't remember teachers blogging and posting all day at work. When I interned for a nanotechnology center and biotech research company we weren't allowed to be on city data posting all day. What are you all doing that is "hard timely work" yet gives you plenty of time to be here during normal
work hours?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude but these posts whining about teacher salaries and taxes are ridiculous. Now people are telling me what the average pay is in my field who probably don't even work in the field. If you don't think fine industry pays as well or more than Long Island school districts, then look at Silicon Valley private sector salaries where the COL is just as high as Long Island..and public school teachers there also make six figures!

Property taxes are high but I think you're forgetting we live in the NE, the highest taxed region in the country. So say if property taxes are reduced to $6000 (and they'll never go below that because we're in the NE, let alone NYC region)..you're only going to save around $5000 annually. What can you sufficiently do with that other than take a tropical vacation or send one of your children to private school.

All these posters complaining about salaries, criticizing teachers and their work. Tell me what do you all day that gives you the right to constantly bash teachers, their pay, and pension. It seems to me that most of you are posting after post during normal work hours indicating you have loads of free time. I can't remember teachers blogging and posting all day at work. When I interned for a nanotechnology center and biotech research company we weren't allowed to be on city data posting all day. What are you all doing that is "hard timely work" yet gives you plenty of time to be here during normal
work hours?
Now you've become a troll.

1. We speculate on your salry becasue you never said what your "fine" industry is and yes it's not rocket science for anyone to figure out the mean and median market rate salaries for ANY industry.
2. WTF is "fine" industry anyway? Is that some new HR term they use in nanotech?! lol
3. No one is complaining about teacher's work so spare us that guilt trip. We posted facts about COMPENSATION, hours, benefits, protections and if you disagree, fine. You have a right to your opinion, even if the facts bother you. The facts bother me too.
4. As for teacher's posting, many of the teacher's in my district are completely technologically illiterate, do not have email access through the district and good lord help them if they needed to create a spreadsheet or fashion a professional document. I CONSISTENTLY correct my son's handouts for typos and the formatting could be done by a grade schooler. That is FACT. It's unprofessional and embarrassing but they don't seem to care. 3 grades in a row, now.
4. You first came on here telling people "to get high paying jobs in fine industries" then got schooled on why people don't just "do that" on LI and then you adopted than mantra for yourself.

Now you're on another tangent. I'll give it to you one more time in simple terms....the dearth of "FINE" industries and the egregious overcompensation of teachers and police on LI are RELATED! That is the point. NOT to attack teachers.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,902,945 times
Quote:

4. As for teacher's posting, many of the teacher's in my district are completely technologically illiterate, do not have email access through the district and good lord help them if they needed to create a spreadsheet or fashion a professional document. I CONSISTENTLY correct my son's handouts for typos and the formatting could be done by a grade schooler. That is FACT. It's unprofessional and embarrassing but they don't seem to care. 3 grades in a row, now.
So because there's several dumb teachers in your school/district they all are? You meet dumb people that are guilty of this and worse that hold a lot higher positions than being a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,897,811 times
Quote:
1. It takes more than a master's in science education to make "bank" in nanotech and the jobs are extremely competitive for REAL reasons as opposed to people holding on to union gigs to pad their pension.
2. A teacher makes $129k in most LI districts LONG before 35 years. Maybe this teacher worked elsewhere or in another field.

You have this weird thing about "fine" industries.
1. We all know LI has very few of them and the myriad reasons why (gazillions of posts and threads on here).
2. Kids coming out of MIT are lucky to be getting $100k to start in those high tech industries you mention. Unless you are in upper management or top tier sales (and you aint working "partial" anything in those jobs and you may get a month off but good luck taking it...those jobs are high pressure and long hours) you aren't making bank.

Teaching on LI is an exceptionally cushy gig. Partial year's work (35hrs/wk, 10 mos yr, it's in the job description).

My daughter's teacher who earned 129K last year has a masters in physics and has taught for 35+ years - do you have any idea at all what you are talking about? He seem to come in at 7 for extra help each day and leaves about 4. I am certain he also works at home like most teachers do on weekends? How is that 35 hours a week? It sounds like you are convincing yourself of something rather far-fetched regarding teaching but there is certainly nothing wrong with you giving the job a shot.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island