Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
She does adjunct instruction for Columbia.
So she has time on the side to be an adjunct professor also.

What courses does she teach? I am sure she'd be qualified to teach "How to Have a Multi-Million Dollar Career in Public Education."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 PM

400 posts, read 757,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So she has time on the side to be an adjunct professor also.

What courses does she teach? I am sure she'd be qualified to teach "How to Have a Multi-Million Dollar Career in Public Education."
I wonder during what hours she teaches as an adjunct... I am sure that if her position is fulltime, and she was teaching on taxpayer dollar, then that would be considered grounds for removal.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM

5,018 posts, read 3,916,205 times
A general rule of thumb is that those who have Ed.D's and insist upon being called doctor all the time are completely divorced from reality. They don't realize or don't care how silly and shameless that makes them look. Silly and shameless...that about sums up the superintendents of Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM

929 posts, read 2,062,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
I like what NJ governor Christie wants to do.

NJ Gov. Chris Christie: “Let Me Help You Pack”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ1n6...layer_embedded

I wish we had him in NY. A salary cap is a great idea.
Yeah, and if you watch the video he talks about a superintendent that is gaming the system making $215,000. That's half of what most of the superintendents are making on Long Island. Are we really being taken for a ride that badly? I really hope Cuomo sees that Christie's popularity is skyrocketing and decides to take similar measures to reform NY. Throw away the property tax cap, because the teachers would just find a way to pass an MTA style tax. Just tax NYS salaries. It's nothing to write a law that says "Teacher can only make up to x, cops can only make z, and superintendents can only make y." Don't like it? Go find a private sector job that is willing to pay you what you make in the public sector.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM

5,018 posts, read 3,916,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Yeah, and if you watch the video he talks about a superintendent that is gaming the system making $215,000. That's half of what most of the superintendents are making on Long Island. Are we really being taken for a ride that badly? I really hope Cuomo sees that Christie's popularity is skyrocketing and decides to take similar measures to reform NY. Throw away the property tax cap, because the teachers would just find a way to pass an MTA style tax. Just tax NYS salaries. It's nothing to write a law that says "Teacher can only make up to x, cops can only make z, and superintendents can only make y." Don't like it? Go find a private sector job that is willing to pay you what you make in the public sector.
Excellent video...now where is Cuomo on this?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Excellent video...now where is Cuomo on this?
Playing footsy with the unions and trying to gain as much support without actually accomplishing anything. Here is my take on it.

Cuomo: "Ok local governments and special interest groups. I'm going to propose a budget that will cut less than 3% of our budget and you all get up in arms about how I'm unfairly targeting you."

Bloomberg: "Will this hurt my plan of banning all cars from Manhattan but my limo?"

Teacher's Union: "What's a cut?"

Cuomo: "Ok, I'll leave the "property tax cap" that those silly voters wanted for after the budget. Hopefully this whole thing dies down."

Bloomberg: "That sounds great!"

Teacher's Union: "I've got a great idea. Instead of a property tax cap, can we just get the ability to tax small business like the MTA. It's no fair that they get to tax businesses and we don't. It's not like they pay ridiculous property taxes already."

Cuomo: "Ok TU, how much campaign contributions are you going to throw in to make that one happen?"

In honesty, I have high hopes for Cuomo. Hopefully he realizes that politicians that make the hard decisions are looked upon positively when the history books are written. However, he is saying all the right things and doing none of them as of now.

Last edited by NYEconomist; 02-07-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,911,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Playing footsy with the unions and trying to gain as much support without actually accomplishing anything. Here is my take on it.

Cuomo: "Ok local governments and special interest groups. I'm going to propose a budget that will cut less than 3% of our budget and you all get up in arms about how I'm unfairly targeting you."

Bloomberg: "Will this hurt my plan of banning all cars from Manhattan but my limo?"

Teacher's Union: "What's a cut?"

Cuomo: "Ok, I'll leave the "property tax cap" that those silly voters wanted for after the budget. Hopefully this whole thing dies down."

Bloomberg: "That sounds great!"

Teacher's Union: "I've got a great idea. Instead of a property tax cap, can we just get the ability to tax small business like the MTA. It's no fair that they get to tax businesses and we don't. It's not like they pay ridiculous property taxes already."

Cuomo: "Ok TU, how much campaign contributions are you going to throw in to make that one happen?"

In honesty, I have high hopes for Cuomo. Hopefully he realizes that politicians that make the hard decisions are looked upon positively when the history books are written. However, he is saying all the right things and doing none of them as of now.
The tax cap may not be a complete solution but it's a step in the right direction by Cuomo. Also he has proposed awarding those school districts that consolidate with additional aid. I am sure he has eyes beyond governor all he has to do is look at Cristie's popularity for taking decisive action. If we are in the same situation 4 years down the road he can forget about higher office.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The tax cap may not be a complete solution but it's a step in the right direction by Cuomo. Also he has proposed awarding those school districts that consolidate with additional aid. I am sure he has eyes beyond governor all he has to do is look at Cristie's popularity for taking decisive action. If we are in the same situation 4 years down the road he can forget about higher office.
I agree, it's a start in the right direction and a lot more then we have gotten in the past decade. Write letters, call your representatives, and speak with your vote.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
A general rule of thumb is that those who have Ed.D's and insist upon being called doctor all the time are completely divorced from reality. They don't realize or don't care how silly and shameless that makes them look. Silly and shameless...that about sums up the superintendents of Nassau and Suffolk.
Do you know the work that goes into receiving a Doctorate Degree at Harvard or Columbia or UC Berkeley (top Educational graduate programs in the US)?

Would you prefer the recipients of your tax funds be someone like Cathie Black who has no educational experience, nor holds the credentials necessary by the state to do the job she does? (requiring a second hire involved in her approval)

I can understand not wanting these people on payrolls; but if you are going to have someone on payroll, I would expect them to be a published expert in the field.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Do you know the work that goes into receiving a Doctorate Degree at Harvard or Columbia or UC Berkeley (top Educational graduate programs in the US)?

Would you prefer the recipients of your tax funds be someone like Cathie Black who has no educational experience, nor holds the credentials necessary by the state to do the job she does? (requiring a second hire involved in her approval)

I can understand not wanting these people on payrolls; but if you are going to have someone on payroll, I would expect them to be a published expert in the field.
And I would prefer that my landscaper have a PhD in organic chemistry with a focus on botanical membranes. But, I can't afford to hire one just like the taxpayers can't afford these ridiculous salaries for someone to go to conferences, sit on committees, lobby for grants, and dictate thank you letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island