Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,721,434 times

Advertisements

Remnants of the destructive Suozzi admin still remain...
I wonder who is profiting from this?

Clean house Mangano!
"Nassau County will be taking back control of operations and management of the Sands Point Preserve on
January 1st. " Edward Mangano

---> Sands Point Preserve is Being Destroyed by the Group Entrusted to Protect It | Long Island Press

Quote:
outraged and frustrated by the recent and ongoing destructive actions of the Friends of the Sands Point Preserve—a nonprofit installed by former Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi to serve as the managers of the 216-acre Guggenheim Estate on the North Shore of Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 02:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
I took some visitors there in the summer and I was appalled at how badly things looked and how neglected everything was. There were, however, volunteers ready and available to take our money!!! I guess that's all they care to do.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times
The land is more valuable for reaping taxes on mini-estates as opposed to the pittance they receive from the trickle of curious checking out the remnants (or in this case detritus) of a former gold coast estate.

What a shame.

Can't they turn this around into an Oheka facility of sorts? Close proximity to NYC, the Sound right there...

Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,294,929 times
Real shame. The Nassau County Parks system was decimated by Suozzi. I was at Stillwell today, and while the trails are still nice, I dont care for all the painting and cones on the soccer field. The field used to be left alone but the Town of Oyster Bay wants to use it for sports.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,432,675 times
Isn't this happening all over LI???

Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,488,318 times
The town of Oyster Bay has done a great job with their parks.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,856,810 times
I'm not happy with the changes at Sands Point Preserve either. It's supposed to a nature/historic perserve not a recreational park! The article didn't mention it, but they also put exercise equipment along the nature trails which seems in very bad taste considering the character of the place.

Also, The chopping down of trees and the destabilization of the bluffs are something I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Are these people that clueless about basic conservation practices (or civil engineering for that matter). Do these people think they above the law because of how much money they have?

The part about the raccoons is just downright grusome and dispictable. It's good to know that the masters of the universe in this country have such compasion for the little creatures. Imagine how they must feel about their less affluent neighbors!

Am I surprised though? Not really. Many Long Islander's I know have no clue about or respect for nature; add money and political influence to the mix and you get the disaster this park has turned into. Actually, disaster is what you can say about the quality of life as a whole on this Island. I'm glad I will be leaving soon!

Last edited by Port North; 11-15-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM

56,873 posts, read 25,807,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I'm not happy with the changes at Sands Point Preserve either. It's supposed to a nature/historic perserve not a recreational park! The article didn't mention it, but they also put exercise equipment along the nature trails which seems in very bad taste considering the character of the place.

Also, The chopping down of trees and the destabilization of the bluffs are something I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Are these people that clueless about basic conservation practices (or civil engineering for that matter). Do these people think they above the law because of how much money they have?

The part about the raccoons is just downright grusome and dispictable. It's good to know that the masters of the universe in this country have such compasion for the little creatures. Imagine how they must feel about their less affluent neighbors!

Am I surprised though? Not really. Many Long Islander's I know have no clue about or respect for nature; add money and political influence to the mix and you get the disaster this park has turned into. Actually, disaster is what you can say about the quality of life as a whole on this Island. I'm glad I will be leaving soon!
This is what you get when you put as judge, Foskey with no experience in charge of parks and recreation. The group indicated they were given no guidance by the county, they couldn’t ask questions? There are plenty of people from historic preservation and environmental contacts that could have offered suggestions since they couldn’t depend on the parks Commissioner.

They decided to start chopping down trees and putting in exercise trails on a historic piece of property on their own?? Even though the tree removal company had a board certified arborist, that is not the best place to go to get an independent opinion on tree removal.

Also to be fair the article I read indicated they caught racoons inside the housing and released them on the property.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is what you get when you put as judge, Foskey with no experience in charge of parks and recreation. The group indicated they were given no guidance by the county, they couldn’t ask questions? There are plenty of people from historic preservation and environmental contacts that could have offered suggestions since they couldn’t depend on the parks Commissioner.

They decided to start chopping down trees and putting in exercise trails on a historic piece of property on their own?? Even though the tree removal company had a board certified arborist, that is not the best place to go to get an independent opinion on tree removal.

Also to be fair the article I read indicated they caught racoons inside the housing and released them on the property.
"Brownie" did a better job at FEMA!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 PM

56,873 posts, read 25,807,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
"Brownie" did a better job at FEMA!
Actually I forgot, there are two parks commissioners, the old experienced one from the Suozzi administration and the new Judge, with all that high priced talent you would expect good management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island