Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,979 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to move to Herricks school district. I need to commute to downtown manhattan (Path train station near ground Zero).

I need guidance on commuting. I'd like to leave home after 7:15am. All comments and help are will be appreciated. Some questions:

1. What time does Mineola parking lot get full?
2. Are there any predictable parking options at New Hyde Park Station?
3. In general what are the parking options, till what time does one typically get parking for those options and what is the cost?

Thanks all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Responses are appeciated. Please do guide!

Thanks,

Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,472,353 times
I think New Hyde Park would probably be your best bet. There is a morning train that leaves at 7:28 so figure 5-10 minutes driving/parking and that works perfectly with your ideal 7:15 departure. The train into Penn Station takes around 35 minutes and the 2/3 downtown (to the Park Place station) takes ~12....so figure about 50 minutes total with walking between stations and everything. Does that get you to work on time? There is a 7:09 train out of NHP too.

You could also take the LIRR to Brooklyn instead and take the 4/5 train into lower Manhattan, but it'll take the same exact amount of time and require a transfer at Jamaica. Going into Penn doesn't.

The only potential problem is parking. There are non-resident spots available at NHP, but I'm not sure how early they fill up. Best thing to do might be to take a drive by early on a weekday and check it out. Here's a map that shows where public parking is located around the station. Blue is public, yellow is Village of NHP residents only. If you've gotta be in at 8AM, I'd recommend taking an even earlier train than the 7:09...sucks to be up that early, but you might have better luck finding a spot.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks you sean sean sean sean!

Yes, if one gets the parking, train ride from NHP is not too bad. Let me research the parking option more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: