Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,573,180 times

Advertisements

The "parent trigger" is when "Under the law, if 51% of parents in a failing school sign a petition, they can trigger a forcible transformation of the school -- either by inviting a charter operator to take it over, by forcing certain administrative changes, or by shutting it down outright."

If implemented on Long Island, would the "parent trigger" be an effective education reform and how do you think it would work in lower-performing school districts that only have one high school?

David Feith, an assistant editorial features editor, discusses the "parent trigger" in an editorial, The Radical School Reform Law You've Never Heard Of, in today's (Saturday, November 13) The Wall Street Journal.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 11-13-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 AM

48 posts, read 76,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The "parent trigger" is when "Under the law, if 51% of parents in a failing school sign a petition, they can trigger a forcible transformation of the school -- either by inviting a charter operator to take it over, by forcing certain administrative changes, or by shutting it down outright."

If implemented on Long Island, would the "parent trigger" be an effective education reform and how do you think it would work in lower-performing school districts that only have one high school?

David Feith, an assistant editorial features editor, discusses the "parent trigger" in an editorial, The Radical School Reform Law You've Never Heard Of, in today's (Saturday, November 13) The Wall Street Journal.
The potential reforms we hear about such as charter and parent trigger are geared towards huge city school systems with high poverty rates. There would be no reason for this type of reform on LI. We don't need our schools reformed. We need them to be more efficiently run as to lower the tax burden.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 AM

35 posts, read 41,531 times
Terrible idea - ask many of the parents in Lawrence how they feel about an idea like this. They already feel their public school system is doomed.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 AM

886 posts, read 2,637,446 times
I love all these ideas but has anyone ever done a study on what percentage of parents have ZERO involvement in their kids education? I bet it's more than the average poster here believes.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,550,699 times
^^^ I agree. I was in a high performing district and believe me, the parents are definitely involved, as far as "let's get into the class and make a craft" but other than that, they send their kids off to school fully expecting the magic to just happen. In lower income areas, they probably don't care or are too overwhelmed too make any inroads. In solid middle class areas, there are lots of blue collar workers and small business owners who may not see education as a means to an end - ie they think their kids can just take over the family business or whatever. There are very few if any districts on Long Island where parents are in the classes actually working with the kids, and most parents assume that having a Long Island school on the college app is all that's needed. THis may be the first generation coming up where Long Island parents realize the rest of the world is catching up, and colleges are seeing that.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoLONGISLAND View Post
Terrible idea - ask many of the parents in Lawrence how they feel about an idea like this. They already feel their public school system is doomed.

They are doomed. What is happening in Lawrence is a disgrace.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^ I agree. I was in a high performing district and believe me, the parents are definitely involved, as far as "let's get into the class and make a craft" but other than that, they send their kids off to school fully expecting the magic to just happen. In lower income areas, they probably don't care or are too overwhelmed too make any inroads. In solid middle class areas, there are lots of blue collar workers and small business owners who may not see education as a means to an end - ie they think their kids can just take over the family business or whatever. There are very few if any districts on Long Island where parents are in the classes actually working with the kids, and most parents assume that having a Long Island school on the college app is all that's needed. THis may be the first generation coming up where Long Island parents realize the rest of the world is catching up, and colleges are seeing that.
That's ridiculous. How many schools would allow parents in the classroom for anything other than celebrations in elementart. The classroom is for education and educators.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I love all these ideas but has anyone ever done a study on what percentage of parents have ZERO involvement in their kids education? I bet it's more than the average poster here believes.
Kids make a school a success. A school does not make a kid a success. It's all about the home life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island