Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,326,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I just typed a long winded reply to this thread from my podium on this subject, then read it back to myself, proudly patted myself on the back, and then proceeded to delete it.

Just because.

I truly appreciate your sound decision. Positive rep for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 PM

752 posts, read 1,457,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Given the number of precocious children the OP states to have seen in a very limited period, are you lead to believe that the children are bad eggs or the parents are lax?

Going back to your post, the one to which I replied, you know as well as I if the parents had taken a more rigorous disciplinary action while in public, that someone might have called the police or created a scene.

The little child on the bicycle who wouldn't slow down in the park with his mother -- the S T F U kid -- what do you think the chances are that he's on drugs? (Let's be serious -- how many drug addled 4, 5, 6 year olds have you seen? The kid was in the park with his mother -- this was a little kid.) The mother could very well have stopped Potty Mouth Jr, taken away his bicycle and walked him out of the park. The OP doesn't tell us if she took corrective measures, or whether she shrugged and let little Potty Mouth Jr. continue speeding along.

The child who flipped off his father in Friendly's when told to eat his chicken nuggets: Did dad ask for the check, box the leftovers and take Flippy Jr out of there, or did they continue eating, order ice cream for himself and Flippy Jr. and then toddled out?

Yes, there are variables, but then variables are moot as the OP didn't provide us with the parental follow through, or lack thereof. There are a large number of disinterested, disengaged parents as well as the 'bad eggs' out there. If those children did in fact do what the OP has written, it would have been helpful to have known what occurred next.

I do not have enough fingers to count the number of meals, movies, weddings, funerals, wakes, graduations, etc., disrupted by screaming children whose parents do not have the common sense to remove the child from the premises, calm them, and then return with a child whose needs have been addressed. It might not be what mom or dad wants to do, but once we become parents, we have a responsibility to take care of our children, teach them right from wrong, and not to make excuses or place blame elsewhere.
I understand your point and do not disagree...just saying that sometimes...its not the parents...sometimes.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, there are variables, but then variables are moot as the OP didn't provide us with the parental follow through, or lack thereof. There are a large number of disinterested, disengaged parents as well as the 'bad eggs' out there. If those children did in fact do what the OP has written, it would have been helpful to have known what occurred next.

I do not have enough fingers to count the number of meals, movies, weddings, funerals, wakes, graduations, etc., disrupted by screaming children whose parents do not have the common sense to remove the child from the premises, calm them, and then return with a child whose needs have been addressed. It might not be what mom or dad wants to do, but once we become parents, we have a responsibility to take care of our children, teach them right from wrong, and not to make excuses or place blame elsewhere.
One disturbing trend I have noticed more and more is parents (particularly women, but maybe that's because women cart kids around more than men) who totally ignore their children and are too busy yapping on the cell phone or texting to their friends. I have observed people in the same store as me and it is not like a quick text or a quick call, and then they are engaging with their children. It is more like the phone is attached to the adult's ear from entry to checkout. Poor kids try and get a little attention, validation, etc., and are "shushed" in return. I look at their sad little eyes looking up at their mom, who is busy ignoring them completely, and it breaks my heart.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,959,540 times
The difference in mentality between now and say 30 years ago is this, and yes of course it depends on the parent, but we're talking IN GENERAL:

30 years ago, parent gets a call from the Principal.

"your kid did something bad today"

Kid "no I didn't'

Parent "sure you didn't, you're punished.

Kid " damn"

Fast forward 30 years:

Principal calls parent

"your kid did something bad today"

Parent "OH yeah? Well guess what, my kid has ADD, and it's your fault that he did something wrong, because you get paid too much, and you'll be hearing from my lawyer."

Parent to kid: " Now jr, go play your video games!! We showed that overpaid jerk!!"

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM

40 posts, read 51,855 times
1. Parents, don't be afraid to slap up a disrespectful kid
2. Everyone else, mind your biz...calling CPS on a parent trying to discipline their kid is stupid. One day that little convict might be mugging you
3. Mothers, get off the cell phones, stop spending 30 hours a week on facebook. You had your time, you're a mom now pay attention
4. Fathers...BE FATHERS...teach your kids about character, respect, integrity. And when all else fails don't be afraid to knock your kid upstairs again.
5. Fathers (again) it is NOT ok for your 11 year old daughter to have her a** hanging out the bottom of her shorts out in public..ever
6. Fathers (AGAIN) your son is not a prince, your daughter is not a princess...have them do chores and learn to EARN something. These kids are spoiled and its the parents fault!

I can go on for days....bottom line, PARENTS, stop acting like its anyones fault but your own. Just saying...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM

964 posts, read 2,454,466 times
The OP is 100% correct. The children of Long Island tend to have very very poor manners. However, that is true of any large metro area where there is a concentration of wealth and privilege. You see it in LA, Chicago, Miami, DC, etc.

Parents are busy working and trying to earn more material possessions and they frankly don't know how to raise their kids. In fact, they themselves are rude and have very poor manners. Is it any wonder that their kids follow.

My wife, who is from England, was SHOCKED at Halloween. Kids were rude, rejected certain candies, never said thank you, rang the door bell incessantly when it wasn't answered in a split second, etc. This was in Garden City, so it's not like these were kids of broken poor families. The clueless parents didn't even pay attention to their kids. They were too busy on their phone making calls or texting on Facebook.

How sad.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,988,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
The OP is 100% correct. The children of Long Island tend to have very very poor manners. However, that is true of any large metro area where there is a concentration of wealth and privilege. You see it in LA, Chicago, Miami, DC, etc.

Parents are busy working and trying to earn more material possessions and they frankly don't know how to raise their kids. In fact, they themselves are rude and have very poor manners. Is it any wonder that their kids follow.

My wife, who is from England, was SHOCKED at Halloween. Kids were rude, rejected certain candies, never said thank you, rang the door bell incessantly when it wasn't answered in a split second, etc. This was in Garden City, so it's not like these were kids of broken poor families. The clueless parents didn't even pay attention to their kids. They were too busy on their phone making calls or texting on Facebook.

How sad.
I got one to top that - first the kids were driven over from other town - must have been too dangerous. Then, after handing each of the 5 kids a mix of at least 5 pieces of chocolates and lollipops, one kid thought it wasn't enough stuck his hand in the bowl and swiped 1/2 of the remaining lollipops. Oh - and all did not say "Trick or Treat" or "Thank you". WT????? They must not teach English in that school district.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,224,660 times
Wow. I love Halloween where I am. The doorbell started ringing at 2:00 and ended at 8:00, and in between there were enough kids that I thought I was going to run out of candy--and I bought 8 big bags. They were pretty much all really polite, and those who didn't chirp a "thank you" right away were really small and really shy. The parents were great, too, nudging them along, like, "What do you say?"

People go all-out for Halloween and all the holidays where I am, though. There's always some kind of event going on, not just for the kids, but for families and for just grown-ups, too.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM

496 posts, read 1,247,809 times
i would suggest to OP to travel a bit, then you will realize this is a trend all over US not just Long Island. Although I am first one to bash LI always (without fail) in this case, I have to say, my perception, this happens everywhere.
why? parents are busy. kids are in school and then aftercare all day every day. come weekend, parents are tired to do anything, so put TV on for kids. where and when will kids learn manners?not in aftercare that's for sure.
so kids choose to act out. sometimes. most of the time. in some cases, they're seeking attention, on other cases, parents have not spent enough time with them. so kids have not been taught how to behave.
i do however let my children be who they are. i rarely, if ever, reprimand them. but mine have at least one parents with them at all times. TV is on for them rarely (for me, well, that's another story). they learn from me, my behavior, the way i talk to them, or treat them. and they choose to be awesome kids.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM

175 posts, read 633,715 times
I wish people would stop bashing working parents...I have seen many a bratty kid with a stay-at-home parent -- they will act up just as much as a child from a dual-income household. My parents both worked and I can tell you I was very well behaved, as were many of my friends who had parents who both worked. That's how I learned the value of a dollar, of working hard for what you need (notice I wrote need, not want).

And it's not a Long Island problem, it's a coast to coast problem today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island