Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM

177 posts, read 313,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I agree whole-heartedly.

Also, Three Ducks, I'm not trying to be a negative Nellie here, but please don't assume that people in New York don't discriminate. I know someone upstate whose son has Asperger's. She had to fight tooth and nail with the school board, the PTA, assorted teachers, and various and sundry local politicians to get her son appropriate education. She's very tall, and she actually had to physically block and tower over some pipsqueak politician to keep him from waving her off and walking away. In the end, she won, but it was an unholy PITA. She used to blog about it, but she has since locked up her archives or I'd send you her way.
Trust me - I welcome honesty, I don't care if it's not pretty.

This is been a huge source of stress for me because it's a really quite an undertaking. My husband has lived in this part of the world his whole life and he has two other kids that we can't bring with us. We don't have any family here, and it's not easy to make friends if you're working when all of the playgroups happen and you work out of the house. And contrary to the picture painted of this part of the country, people are friendly on a very superficial level.

We started looking in NH and we were thrilled to be able to look in NY. The areas we're focusing on are areas that have an excellent reputation for working with parents and providing services. That was part of the reason I didn't think it was a great idea to look on LI. I'm not asking for someone to raise my kid or come to provide 40 hours of ABA per week - we don't need anything like that at all. We want to be somewhere that will see our child for what he is and help us help him reach his potential. I know places like this are hard to find, but they do exist. I know some people have had trouble on the Island too, that's one of the big reasons I won't push with my husband. Being around family will do wonders for my son, but if we can't afford to live in a good district we're right back to where we are here only broker, lol...

I really do appreciate all the responses. Thank you all again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,331,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoLONGISLAND View Post
There are? I'm in the process of buying and have done significant research, including on this site, and haven't found anything that says prices will fall to 1999 prices.

I did see plenty of posts by you over the last year indicating prices will go up... And they have not.

You are incorrect. I never said prices will go up. I did say many times prices ahave stabilized and they pretty much have. I've also said many times that now is the right time to buy and it is.
Furthermore, If you check again, the term "Pre bubble" will come up many, many times. What do you suppose that means??

Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM

35 posts, read 41,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
You are incorrect. I never said prices will go up. I did say many times prices ahave stabilized and they pretty much have. I've also said many times that now is the right time to buy and it is.
Furthermore, If you check again, the term "Pre bubble" will come up many, many times. What do you suppose that means??
//www.city-data.com/forum/8599894-post24.html

Ok, maybe you never explicitly said prices will go up, but you said many times that spring 2009 was the time to buy. Prices have gone down slightly, activity has gone down, and rates have gone down. Anyone who listened to you is in worse shape for it.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:54 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,977,747 times
Quote:

Ok, maybe you never explicitly said prices will go up, but you said many times that spring 2009 was the time to buy. Prices have gone down slightly, activity has gone down, and rates have gone down. Anyone who listened to you is in worse shape for it.

zing.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Another thing you may notice if you read my posts is the accusation that many who buy houses are very short sighted and are buying for ALL the wrong reasons (Investment rather than a place to LIVE).
With your post you have taken that record.
I only hope you don't analyze your retirement plan on a day to day basis.
You should pay more attention to the big picture.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
zing.

Wait it out Dman. The universe will align and people who overpaid for Co-ops will be able to get out at the same time house prices half, then suddenly triple in value.
For the record, pretty much every opinion you have stated about the RE market on LI has been incorrect.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,122,216 times
Quote:
Wait it out Dman. The universe will align and people who overpaid for Co-ops will be able to get out at the same time house prices half, then suddenly triple in value.
For the record, pretty much every opinion you have stated about the RE market on LI has been incorrect.
2 Men Enter...1 Man Leaves
The C-D Smackdown is on.
Zilla V. Dman

Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
2 Men Enter...1 Man Leaves
The C-D Smackdown is on.
Zilla V. Dman

Careful bud. I got rid of you for a few months there.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times
No, there's little chance of owning something nice in that price point with the taxes you desire, unfortunately.

And just to make you feel better - there's little chance of sailing into NY and getting all the special ed services you need or want just as soon as you enroll your son in school. I know several people with kids with serious special ed needs and they have to fight for it every step of the way, and yes - moms who have been there are the ones who show the way. Good luck to you, because NY is looking to cut special ed services, it was in Newsday 2 days ago.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

35 posts, read 41,592 times
Quote:
With your post you have taken that record.
No I haven't, I simply pointed out how wrong you've been on the real estate market over the last year.
Quote:
You should pay more attention to the big picture.
I do - I also pay attention to those who push an opinion like it's fact when it's been wrong for over a year. Keep it up though, even a broken clock is correct 2x a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island