Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 AM

431 posts, read 1,307,796 times

Advertisements

Did I miss something? How did Deer Park make it on that list? It's nothing like those towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,119,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
Did I miss something? How did Deer Park make it on that list? It's nothing like those towns.

This statement wont earn me many fans, but truth be told, I think (with few exceptions) that the entire surrounds of the LIRR Main line from Sunrise North, through Middle Country Rd out to 112 and beyond is either in jeopardy (and in many cases denial) or has fallen and it cant get up.

Maybe Moses was right about public transportation?Sad since we so desperately need more of it as those being priced out of "swanky" Brooklyn and Queens flood LI in search of a cheap hi ranch to slum.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-17-2010 at 05:59 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,753,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
This statement wont earn me many fans, but truth be told, I think (with few exceptions) that the entire surrounds of the LIRR Main line from Sunrise North, through Middle Country Rd out to 112 and beyond is either in jeopardy (and in many cases denial) or has fallen and it cant get up.

Maybe Moses was right about public transportation?Sad since we so desperately need more of it as those being priced out of "swanky" Brooklyn and Queens flood LI in search of a cheap hi ranch to slum.

Crooks
I agree. I've always felt everything along the mainline was a dump with the exception of Dix Hills. Isn't Deer Park junkyard heaven and fast food hell? It always gave me the impression of a more suburban Mastic-Shirley.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,330,615 times
Quote:

Crooks

Wow, so you're saying most of LI sucks, huh?
You really are a piece of work.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,119,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Wow, so you're saying most of LI sucks, huh?
You really are a piece of work.
If thats how you choose to see it.

I think what Im saying is that most (not all)of the Urban decay is starting in the middle and working its way out.Dont worry the shores will be a dump soon too if nothing changes.

Nothing new here Zilla.

Crooks

BTW
Who won the Smackdown you or DMan?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
If thats how you choose to see it.

I think what Im saying is that most (not all)of the Urban decay is starting in the middle and working its way out.Dont worry the shores will be a dump soon too if nothing changes.

Nothing new here Zilla.

Crooks

BTW
Who won the Smackdown you or DMan?

We use words formed in to sentences to communicate. I did not invent this concept; it's jsut the way it is.
You clearly stated the vast area north of Sunrise up to 25 and out to 112 and beyond has "Fallen" or is in danger of "falling".
These are your words, not how I "Choose" to see them.
In reality, you have stated Most of LI has fallen or is in danger of falling. Unless you happen to live on the Bay or the Sound of course. You do realize most of Suffolk's population falls in the enormous area you described?
You know Crooks, Rocky Point isn't Muttontown. Not even close. You live in the same Miiddle Class type neighborhood as the towns you claim have fallen. The upper Middle class folks do not live in your town, they live in the nicer towns nearby. West Babylon is in no more danger of "Falling" than Rocky Point.
Get a grip.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This post is a perfect example of why I hate to see threads like this pop up on the LI boards. Even though you claim it's only in that "other" town it still reflects on Long Island as a whole. Any potential resident would question as to why he would want to live here. If the person doesn't know LI he would think the whole place is a gang ridden slum. Places like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, Port Chester have neighborhoods that are worse than CI, Brentwood or even Wyandanch but you don't see residents from neighboring towns trying to demonize them. Eventually it becomes a reflection on the whole county. Just as Seventh Floor said why pay all that property tax to deal with drugs and gangs. Is this the impression you want outsiders to see of LI?
I agree to an extent, but most outsiders already know LI is fragmented (like most counties) into bad/good areas. Obviously this is still a small portion of LI that is affected. But info like the spread to PJS and some other towns people mentioned is valuable info to everyone I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
First off, is the skinny black dude with the weird facial hair in the first video not the most obnoxious piece of trash you've ever seen? Holy christ....I got a migraine watching that. If I ever see this guy I'm going to do the world a favor and flatten him underneath my car. I'll do the jailtime with a clear conscience, no problem. They can even use this post to prove it was premeditated. That will be my gift to humanity.
LOL SEAN!!!! I see a superhero in your blood, shall we call you SEANX4man..Will you come if we beam "Sean Sean Sean Sean" into the nassau skies??

Quote:
I don't agree, and I'll tell you why...

The sad reality is that Long Island's middle class is eroding while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Other people already covered this in detail in this and other threads, but just for the sake of understanding where I'm coming from....this is already one of the most expensive places to live for average, middle-of-the-road families and it's getting worse every single day. As we lose "normal" people, there aren't going to be others coming along with the means to replace them. When that happens (and we're already seeing it), formerly middle class areas are going to have slumlords come in and chop up single-family residences into cheaper illegal apartments. Middle class families are not going to live in those, it's gonna be a handful of younger people just out of their parents' homes, a couple of divorcees and a lot of lower income working class....which in 2010 generally means illegal immigrants. Like with the demand for labor, I don't really think there's any way to prevent the demand for cheaper housing from manifesting itself....maybe you make a little headway here and there cracking down on building violations, but ultimately it's not gonna stop the forces of nature. There is also the proactive approach of relaxing zoning to allow LEGAL multi-family residences, but LI is too NIMBY and shortsighted to realize that might help. Bottom line is that unless LI fixes the problems that make it an unsustainable place for the middle class to live and an unattractive place to grow jobs and businesses, this is what we're stuck with.

I also want to take a time out and point out that I think, in our current situation, the above is severely exaggerated. Things ARE NOT that bad for 99% of LI yet.....but rest assured, I do think they'll get there in several decades time if things don't change.
Anyway, back to brass tacks....here's where my philosophy gets a little un-PC as well. When you're replacing middle class people with lower and working class people, you're going to have more crime, you're going to have less interest in education and you're going to create bad neighborhoods. Someone show me one public housing project in America that is renowned as a desirable, safe place to live with an excellent school district. High concentrations of poor people = crime. That has been true since money has existed.....and I am a dedicated parishioner at the temple of Capitalism, so don't think that's where I'm going with this. My point here is that if we somehow cut off the current stream of illegal immigration entirely, we're still going to be facing the same problems with gangs, violence, crime, etc. If it's not Hispanics it will be some other group from some other country....in fact, 20 years from now it literally will be since the current crop of "anchor babies" will be grown, full fledged American citizens by then and the most vicious gangs in America will be coming here from 3rd world countries that don't even exist yet. We are living in a country with an economy that runs on this kind of labor. That needs to change in order for any of it's negative consequences to change.....but I have no idea how that is possible in the 2010 global economy model of the world. We live in a country where the middle class expects owning a home, sending their children to college, being able to retire, etc. and we're competing with countries where middle class means having running water and a pair of shoes.
My concern is for the future, which is a big question mark.
I totally agree most of LI is still one of the best places to live in the country. You could prob dump out of stater's into CI and I bet they would think there was nothing wrong with it. But we all know looks can be deceiving. I do think though that if we took the border control as serious as we do Iraq/Afghanistan/Iran (future), that we would definitely make progress (While it's not saying much, I'd take Shirley over Brentwood anyday of the week) -- dumpy trumps violent hood imo.

The Slumlords could be handled by hamlets incorporating into villages and actually enforcing rules. That shi1t doesn't go down in most real villages like Mass park.

Making border control at least #3 priority (not #153), would make living here like a golden opportunity to immigrants (which many legals already see it this way)..that would reduce the illegal population and the ones here would not run amok. Because the way it is now, worst thing that could happen is they get deported and pay the Mexican Coyote a couple hundred$ to get back in the next day.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-17-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,440,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Thanks to oblivious, brain-washed residents and lax I.C.E. enforcement, Long Island now harbors the 4th largest MS-13 population in the country [est 4000+ members and growing rapidly in: Freeport, Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt, Glen Cove, New Cassel, Westbury, Elmont, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, Deer Park, Huntington Station]. Once they take over an area, it's finished. That is their 'turf' now and not even the NCPD/SCPD will bring it back.

You should have started your rant 13-15 years ago. When I first moved out here (13 years ago), I saw all this crap going on but, typical LI-ers had their heads buried in the sand or so far up their butts that they refused to see it because it wasn't happening on their front lawn. I would mention it in conversation and people would laugh because "stuff like that doesn't happen out here". Well, laugh's on you!

On your list, you forgot to include Lindenhurst which, according to what I've heard, is where all the heroin is stemming from. It comes out here from gangs in East New York, dropped to connections in Lindenhurst, and then distributed around LI.

For the above poster who thinks Deer Park is such a nice area.... try going ALL OVER Deer Park. It's not all peaches and cream.

Well, time to wake up Long Island! Your suburban paradise is going to be a distant memory very soon.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,938,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You should have started your rant 13-15 years ago. When I first moved out here (13 years ago), I saw all this crap going on but, typical LI-ers had their heads buried in the sand or so far up their butts that they refused to see it because it wasn't happening on their front lawn. I would mention it in conversation and people would laugh because "stuff like that doesn't happen out here". Well, laugh's on you!

On your list, you forgot to include Lindenhurst which, according to what I've heard, is where all the heroin is stemming from. It comes out here from gangs in East New York, dropped to connections in Lindenhurst, and then distributed around LI.

For the above poster who thinks Deer Park is such a nice area.... try going ALL OVER Deer Park. It's not all peaches and cream.

Well, time to wake up Long Island! Your suburban paradise is going to be a distant memory very soon.
Good post.

You know what I find funny....People come out in droves on this board and all state the same thing, it's the cops and teachers that are ruining the Island.

Yet the truth is GANGS, DRUGS, ILLEGALS are causing the Island to deteriorate. Still they nothing but the cops are always a good cop out

Drug rehabs in your high schools what's next gang appreciation day?

Last edited by BigMike50; 11-17-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Good post.

You know what I find funny....People come out in droves on this board and all state the same thing, it's the cops and teachers are ruining the Island.

Yet the truth is GANGS, DRUGS, ILLEGALS are causing the Island to deteriorate. Still they nothing but the cops are always a good cop out

Drug rehabs in your high schools what's next gang appreciation day?

It's really, really awesome you left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island