Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I checked out the criminal justice website and found this report:
http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/p...in-ny-2009.pdf

First off, Twingles was kind enough to note that the City of Buffalo is located within Erie County; some of the crime in the report you provided can be ascribed to urban conditions which we might find in a more run down section of the 5 boroughs. We mockingly call Nassau the 6th Borough, but it is not in the boroughs comprising NYC.

Looking at the report I found on the website you provided, there is a graph indicated an increase statewide in non NYC crime rising from 37% in 1990 to 58% in 2009 while NYC crime decreased from 63% (1990) to 43% (2009). Has the NYPD really gotten tough on crime and have the criminals left for greener pastures throughout the state?

Looking at Erie County on the report I've posted there is an increase in violet crime from 2008 to 2009 of 3.8%. In Nassau the increase in violent for that period was 8.3%; Suffolk was 5.5%.

Checking the 5 boroughs -- New York County (Manhattan) decrease of 4.8%; Kings(Brooklyn) had a decrease 6.5%; Queens decrease of 4.1%; Richmond (Staten Island) decrease of 1.7% and The Bronx had a decrease of 1%.

Checking the county to the immediate north of NYC -- Westchester up 2.8%.

This makes me ask whether the criminal element is leaving NYC and migrating eastward?
Great post OBH +1. I'm curious to see the 2010 numbers when they come out. Bottom line from looking at that link and OBHs post:
Crime, across the board, most critically "violent" crime, is rising in Nassau & Suffolk counties. You can see evidence of this in the towns mentioned in the original post.

To: LIOC,
I will check it out and get back to you. Am I going to run into the blood with the weird facial hair from that 1st video and is the MS13 pop. removed?

that first chart is interesting

Attached Thumbnails
Bangin' in the Sixth Borough...coming to a 'Hood near you)-ny-crime.jpg  

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-05-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Whats most startling is the 25% increase in rape in Nassau. Suffolk's overall crime rate was down with an increase in robbery and assaults which I would definately attribute to the economy. Surprised to see burglary was down.

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 01-05-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Whats most startling is the 25% increase in rape in Nassau. Suffolk's overall crime rate was down with an increase in robbery and assaults which I would definately attribute to the economy. Surprised to see burglary was down.
I actually see it the other way and this is true for Nassau to an extent: Wouldn't the burglary and especially "Larceny" category rise if it were mostly the economy's fault? Instead, both dropped by about 4% - however violent crime, robbery and Assaults increased modestly..which is indicating more "urban" type crimes in both counties?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangin' in the Sixth Borough...coming to a 'Hood near you)-2555.jpg  

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-05-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrainride View Post
People need places to live! Not just gangbangers and illegal aliens, more just the average citizen of Long Island. Especially our upcoming younger people, daughters and sons and granddaughters and grandsons. But the lack of regular apartments is what's at the root of this dividing up of houses. Where can people live if they can't afford to own a house? And people in that situation are mainly the younger generation. To put it bluntly and perhaps ignorantly, mostly white folks.

There should be changes to zoning to encourage more apartments. And official encouragement. There's some of that now but the effort is so far a minor one. For instance, there should be multi-story apartment building construction encouraged at every LIRR station on the Babylon Branch, from Lynbrook to Babylon. Why not? All are in "downtown" areas, already posessing multiple types of buildings, all are well situated transportation-available sites, surrounded by well lit streets and set to a pedestrian scale in various degrees.

Rockville Centre, Freeport, Merrick and Bellmore already follow this idea in a smaller scale. And I believe that plenty of young people and working folks and people who don't want a house but have a choice would choose to locate to these areas much more readily than to random subdivided houses in bland development streets surrounded by the same. Rockville Centre attracts many people who arrive by train to have a nice evening. The atmosphere is pleasantly urban and refreshing in the suburban world.

To maintain the single family home as ideal p.o.v. is, ultimately, sowing the seeds of the diluting of that presumption. Modern, post WWII Long Island was by and large the turf of "pioneers" inhabiting former "prairies" and woodlands. We really don't have a history of prior settlement, nothing like nearby areas such as New Jersey. It seems we have had an excellerated, forced succession of communal changes, say, one to two hundred years versus our fifty years. I think it makes the experience seem harsher than it has to be. The concept of remaining a place of single family homes is deep in our blood. But whattya gonna do if the local population is not ninety-five percent young parents raising kids? What happens to all those kids? For a while I guess it was, the kids would move further east. But it ain't so easy to do that anymore. Hell, when I was a kid, I remember seen Squirrel Hill development houses selling for 16 to 20K, along Islip Avenue in Brentwood.

Greed has made those type of lifestyle changes way less available to way more people than the post WWII population. So it should be clear that it's time to move on. We just naturally have to become a more multi-varied type of area. Besides, if we allow more apartments to be built in concentrated areas, it will reduce the pressure to subvert the physically extant nature of our two counties. So we'll have a better chance of maintaining our current ways of life as they're related to our housing.
There used to be several apartment buildings for renters, many with 100+/- apartments available in just one complex in all of the Nassau towns you mentioned and more ... many of these buildings in or near walkable downtown districts close to the LIRR line as you described.

So what happened to them?

Nothing!

They are still standing. There are plenty of large apartment buildings in Nassau!

Drive around RVC and see them on many roads. Drive south down Atlantic Avenue in Lynbrook to East Rockaway ... see all the buildings lined up that are walking distance to the LIRR and to local stores. Drive around mid-Freeport and see all the large apartment buildings. Go to the downtown area of Garden City and see more. Take a drive into Mineola, near Winthrop Hospital and see all the big apartment buildings. Go to Long Beach and see if you can find one decent rental building on the boardwalk -- which is full of large apartment buildings! Go to Great Neck! That is large building paradise and many are right near the LIRR station and walkable to shops! Drive around the area of Baldwin between Merrick Rd. and Sunrise Hwy. and see more apartment buildings. And that's just the areas I quickly thought of off the top of my head in a few minutes ...

However, they have been turned into co-ops, and in a few cases, condos! Now you have to pay a mortgage and a big maintenance payment to live in them. The owners of the apartment buildings decided they'd make more money selling off the apartments than renting them. So they did.

What makes you think if we built even more large apartment buildings in downtown districts on LI that anything different would happen to those buildings? Granted, my experience is in Nassau, not Suffolk though ... so I can really only speak for Nassau. Do you think Suffolk is or would be different?

If catering to apartment renters was so important and necessary, why did most of the buildings in Nassau go co-op and condo then? Nassau doesn't have any of the protections for renters that NYC does like rent control and rent stabilization to keep the tenants paying less than market rate with the ability to stay in the apartment until they die, so renting in Nassau is way less attractive to renters for that reason too.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The reason I started this thread was: after watching a video that showed Westbury (actually New Cassel) turned into what looked like a ghetto and realizing that other towns like this are going down the same path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFnpcmflO0

I made the thread because of some of the comments from people that there is nothing wrong with this situation (Illegals run amok, MS13 and other gang tags boldly displayed throughout the area, 4 satellite dishes on some of the flop-houses, etc.). I felt like everyone is too complacent, including ICE & our weak border security..
I wouldn't drag ICE into the illegal alien/gangbanger problem on LI. Do you remember when ICE came to Nassau to arrest illegal immigrants and gangbangers 1-2 years ago? Their help was very much NOT appreciated. ICE was bitterly complained about for doing their jobs efficiently by our law enforcement personnel and their complaints were highlighted in the media ... tres unprofessional actions ... but the local LE (and various other) complainers were that desperate to keep ICE at bay in the future as to foul working relationships with public whining.

As written (paraphrase) at the end of that video you posted, "they don't think it's a problem because they live elsewhere ... they think it's good because it's cheap labor for those who are too lazy to mow their own lawns."

With the spirit of our public officials in mind, God forbid ICE dare to arrest illegal aliens that are NOT gangbangers:

Long Island ICE raids protested | World War 4 Report

Quote:
(Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence) Mulvey said that if he thought the goal of ICE had been to arrest undocumented immigrants, the department would not have assisted.
Quote:
What I thought you meant by paramilitary was full blown martial order 24-7, stripping people of guns and rights (like going through body scans to enter a mall, random house searches, wiretapping & zero privacy, border checkpoints between Queens/Nassau, Nassau/Suffolk, etc..)

But you cleared that up in your last post and the right to bear arms issue cleared as well.
Same here, USAll. TY for clearing things up in your subsequent post!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You really should drive down that street now. It looks nothing like that and was in the middle of a lot of construction when that video was taken.
So there are no longer TWENTY (20) satellite dishes on the top of that house?

Geez ... now I see where crooks gets some of his ideas:

Quote:
Maybe Moses was right about public transportation? Sad since we so desperately need more of it as those being priced out of "swanky" Brooklyn and Queens flood LI in search of a cheap hi ranch to slum.
That sure was a high ranch being put to slum use ... in living color!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
A big issue with crime on the island as i see it comes from lack of patrolling...

In the city.. you have a problem block, the NYPD makes it a habit to be passed there more often, hanging out at a known p/d spot will also get some more frequent passing by.

You may laugh, but criminals, especially the more organized criminal KNOW the routine the PD has or doesn't have...

They know when and where the pd are and or going to be at certain times....

When levy pulled the HP off the LIE i thought he was going to start patrolling.... oooops, nope didn't happen...

To use a great example of dropping the ball and really looking stupid....

What was it 4 years ago... girl going home from WMF school, raped....
A week later, girl going home.... raped....
A few days later, another, this time it was a lie, but none the less, 2 WERE...

However if you are or were the SCPD commissioner... wouldn't you have wanted the SCPD cars to be seen so frequently around the school ATLEAST during the hour when kids are walking home that you would have thought there were 100 hundred SCPD cars in the area...

USall has some ideas... However i am a law abiding citizen...

After 911 we lost freedoms... Some of which i am not happy about, especially the one where i can be stopped or interrupted and show identification and have my balls broke for why i am where i am and doing what im doing and then be subject to having my license checked and be held waiting around for the PD to waste 40 minutes of my time....

I am not thrilled with that bs at all, if i want to meet a friend at deli and i get there early, and i patronized the deli, i shouldn't be having cops asking me step out of my car and what am i doing here....

I do not look nor dress like a Moderator cut: language removed

was shocked and appalled at what the cops did..then my friend shows up, and im DETAINED for another 30 minutes... Then told, i shouldn't be hanging out...which led to a back and fourth....

So when that happens and it can, and legally thanks to the homeland security apps act...

The cops need to do there investigation, but when they do, they should be allowed more leeway to bring them all in... no more plea deal ****, that is the big problem, you tell us this and we'll let you go and take over his empire..

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-05-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
I actually see it the other way and this is true for Nassau to an extent: Wouldn't the burglary and especially "Larceny" category rise if it were mostly the economy's fault? Instead, both dropped by about 4% - however violent crime, robbery and Assaults increased modestly..which is indicating more "urban" type crimes in both counties?
As I said, it was surprising to see burgs go down, there could be many reasons for it. Robbery is a violent crime but it is still usually done to get property, like a burg. Assaults can rise due to economic reasons as well since stress in a household with money or employment problems can boil over.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
One thing about old eyes, is that you can just bet that they've seen more than a fair share of change. The only thing constant anymore, IS change.
This growing thread may have been intended to accentuate the problem with thugs and gangbangers as they leave the inner cities or the jungles of El Salvador,
Juarez or maybe just catch a flight from Compton CA, in search of new turf. Yes, I'm not happy with the outcome as it is lived today by those who have seen or
known Long Island to be a better place than is reflected or depicted in each new edition of Newsday, the local rag that once had a meaty classified section with
oodles of jobs, in all fields, Newsday, the Long Island paper that serves to let us all know on a daily basis, that things across the Island or across the world aren't
getting better, they're getting worse. I'm not knocking Newsday, I was here when Alicia Patterson was getting a nickle a copy and big news was in headlines like
"The Eel strikes again" (delicatessen robber on the loose) or "Aircraft lands on Southern State Parkway".

Wasn't it sweetly simple when our fear was reserved for the "Russians", the cold war, the friggin' commies? We put a lot of people to work here in America
and built a lot of bomb shelters when it was only the "Red menace" that we feared. I was a brave kid when I sailed for Cuba during the Bay of Pigs but I wish I had
the same level of courage now at 66, when some SOB cuts me off on Sunrise and chucks me the bird, or the bastard who squats outside of the local bodega with a
can of Cobra or Old English in his greasy hand, and whistles at my daughter, as we pass by. Over years I've seen more change on L.I. than many others have and
although my children are grown and my life is drawing ever closer to a conclusion, those feelings of satisfaction for my life's course, are being diminished greatly by
the stark reality of truth, things are not going to get better for us, they are only going to get worse. I may be pessimistic by nature but a close look at those things
that are, as compared to those things that were, would tell, or would show even the most optimistic among us that as in any evolutionary process, there can be
no reverting, no going back to life as we once knew it.

I'm not happy about the fact that the withering economy has brought about a drastic change in my lifestyle. Out of work for almost two years now, I grow
bitter and anxious. I've lived in my neighborhood for the last 36 years, own a home and struggle to make my ends meet, my "golden years" have become more like lead,
than like gold, I worry more than ever before, over things that I never thought I'd be worried about but my worry is no different than yours is, that gnawing insecurity
of feeling that at any time, the system will collapse, no Social Security, no groceries on the shelf, no money in the bank for my tax bill, no medical care, no nothing.
We raised a family here, and decorated our house with love and memories but it takes more than that love or those memories, to keep us going while the quality of life
is being eroded on a daily basis, as we sit here helplessly and watch our country fall apart.

Why would I believe that America is destined for more than it is worth or for better than it has done in serving it's citizens? We all went to school and learned
about things like citizenship. Ellis Island and even law. Some of us even found ourselves successful because of capitalism and the entrapenurial spirit that incited us to
improve our individual lifestyle on the basis of merit and a strong set of values coupled with a work ethic that found us working together in a common cause, for the
betterment of our country, through personal pride, dedication, education and a basic understanding of the golden rule: "Treat others as you would want to be treated".
These days, it's hooray for me and skrew-U, do unto others and run like hell, I got mine, now you get yours, NIMBY, ROFLMFAO and every other "in your face" assault
on those last vestiges of charity, compassion and yes, even the basic humanity that we as a society seem to be desensitizing into an existence that becomes more
and more devoid of those values that once made us so great as a people. We've been "sold out" by those in whom we trusted, our leaders, that small minority of public
servants who've, one administration at a time, taken care of themselves while we paid their way.

I'll be content to be able to afford my cable connection with Optimum, to come here and entertain myself in the fine interplay of thoughts and contributors with
whom I may get to feel the gratification of knowing that I am not alone in this boat, that there are other good and caring people in the world who stand a chance at
understanding me, a guy who often doesn't understand himself. As for those MS-13 members, I can't help but think of my superhero, Charles Bronson. I'd trade three,
Mother Teresas, for just one more savior, like Charles Bronson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-57Ivfwz8

Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 AM

87 posts, read 142,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There used to be several apartment buildings for renters, many with 100+/- apartments available in just one complex in all of the Nassau towns you mentioned and more ... many of these buildings in or near walkable downtown districts close to the LIRR line as you described.

So what happened to them?

Nothing!

They are still standing. There are plenty of large apartment buildings in Nassau!

Drive around RVC and see them on many roads. Drive south down Atlantic Avenue in Lynbrook to East Rockaway ... see all the buildings lined up that are walking distance to the LIRR and to local stores. Drive around mid-Freeport and see all the large apartment buildings. Go to the downtown area of Garden City and see more. Take a drive into Mineola, near Winthrop Hospital and see all the big apartment buildings. Go to Long Beach and see if you can find one decent rental building on the boardwalk -- which is full of large apartment buildings! Go to Great Neck! That is large building paradise and many are right near the LIRR station and walkable to shops! Drive around the area of Baldwin between Merrick Rd. and Sunrise Hwy. and see more apartment buildings. And that's just the areas I quickly thought of off the top of my head in a few minutes ...

However, they have been turned into co-ops, and in a few cases, condos! Now you have to pay a mortgage and a big maintenance payment to live in them. The owners of the apartment buildings decided they'd make more money selling off the apartments than renting them. So they did.

What makes you think if we built even more large apartment buildings in downtown districts on LI that anything different would happen to those buildings? Granted, my experience is in Nassau, not Suffolk though ... so I can really only speak for Nassau. Do you think Suffolk is or would be different?

If catering to apartment renters was so important and necessary, why did most of the buildings in Nassau go co-op and condo then? Nassau doesn't have any of the protections for renters that NYC does like rent control and rent stabilization to keep the tenants paying less than market rate with the ability to stay in the apartment until they die, so renting in Nassau is way less attractive to renters for that reason too.
There is a need for more apartments nonetheless. Where are those people who can't afford home ownership going to live? Choices available are few. Either accept the single family house as apartment house or provide more legitimate apartments. You point out how certain buildings turn to co-op or condo conversion as if this was part of the solution to the housing problems. I think it's not. Seems to me that this process you refer to will result in even less opportunities for fairly decent living quarters for the population in general. You can be a good decent citizen and not be able to afford a private house. I guess it boils down to whether people can accept the idea that not everyone in their area will be living as they prefer them to be.

In any case, the examples you cited are definitely there but they are still rare. Look at Bethpage, Wantagh, Cold Spring Harbor, Carle Place, even Hicksville train stations. A huge number of wasted urban (yes, urban. Nassau/Suffolk is as urban as it gets, just more spread out.) space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island