Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 AM

208 posts, read 491,007 times

Advertisements

Never

Other then NYC and califonia oll take every other place away from Long island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM

22,640 posts, read 36,603,028 times
No, but most of my family is where I live now. Still, one of the biggest reasons we left is so that our kids don't get trapped into the whole NYC-centric mindset, and get "stuck" (becasue of jobs...or family) in an area with aging infrastructure, high taxes (and that's not going to change, sorry) and taking 2 hours to get off Long Island any time you want to go somewhere. And retirement is out of the question there - there is no way I am paying $1,000 and up in JUST TAXES every month to support the civil servant population.

I live in an area with a lot of transplants from the northeast - NY to New England - and I haven't met anyone who wants to go back. I'm sure they are out there, but I haven't come across them yet.

Can we afford it? Yes....we could have afforded to stay also ... we just moved.

Last edited by twingles; 11-16-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 AM

35 posts, read 41,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And retirement is out of the question there - there is no way I am paying $1,000 and up in JUST TAXES every month to support the civil servant population.
I just moved my family here for work reasons, and it is very interesting how right on this point is. I've begun the process of purchasing a house, and tha taxes are astronomical and the reason is because (some) civil servants really make a killing.

I have to give them credit though, they do a great job of sticking together, defending eachother with inane arguments, and hiding many details of their compensation so that the taxpayers don't know just how ridiculous it is.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,768,815 times
No way. Actually I am hoping to leave by the end of the school year. I have been here for 25 years, and its going from bad to worse. My kids will never be able to live here.

Stay where you are ; you are better off.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,922,412 times
With the money you save in your current location (where is that?) you can always go home and visit when you like. What is really the advantage of lowering your standard of living?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 PM

55 posts, read 159,832 times
Stay where you are. It's crowded enough here as it is.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,397,071 times
Moved away in 1988 to PA and get back to LI 3 or 4 times a year. Would never move back. I have a 3,500 sq ft home on 1 acre across from a golf course and the taxes are <$6,000. On LI the same home would be triple that and what would I have to show for it. When I moved there was some concern the kids would turn into "country bumkins". That wasn't the case and all three got great educations and attended top colleges and did just fine. I don't even have a key to my house as the door is never locked. Family back in NY still believe the world revolves around LI but I know there is a world away from all that and a pretty nice one at that.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM

113 posts, read 305,470 times
Default Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
See, that's kinda how we feel. There is a coziness about being home on LI. We are always just scared that it may be a fine choice for us, but a bad choice for the kids. I keep hearing about how bad the drugs have gotten(and again, I know they are everywhere but I have been hearing this specifically about LI), how the schools are losing more and more due to budget cuts, etc. My husband always says that it may be selfish for us to come back but then sometimes I wonder if I just think it's worse than it is because I've been gone for so long(well, 5 years).

I could say that I want to move back for the pizza alone.....
Amen to that !
And try to find a good deli anywhere besides NY.....

Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM

188 posts, read 415,119 times
I want to get out and never come back so my answer would be a big fat NO!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 PM

188 posts, read 415,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Moved away in 1988 to PA and get back to LI 3 or 4 times a year. Would never move back. I have a 3,500 sq ft home on 1 acre across from a golf course and the taxes are <$6,000. On LI the same home would be triple that and what would I have to show for it. When I moved there was some concern the kids would turn into "country bumkins". That wasn't the case and all three got great educations and attended top colleges and did just fine. I don't even have a key to my house as the door is never locked. Family back in NY still believe the world revolves around LI but I know there is a world away from all that and a pretty nice one at that.
I want to move my family to PA but with both sets of parents and all siblings here, I feel guilty. My wife says screw them and lets pack up. I just need the courage. We looked and found some beautiful homes 30 years newer, twice the size, and less taxes. It makes perfect financial sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island