Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM

496 posts, read 1,248,658 times

Advertisements

why do you want to come back? i must have missed that part. so to answer, i would not choose to raise my kids here. i don't see my kids growing up here, and if we end up staying in LI longer tahn we want to, so be it, we will suck it up, but we do not like long island, esp. having lived in other states, we feel like this is bottom of the barrel. so if you're happy where you are at, and if your kids are doing well, and adjusting well, stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Guess where we are moving ; France. I am hoping to be out of here by the end of the school year. its scary, frightening, wonderful and a huge adventure. Yes, we can do it legally as we are all dual citizens of Ireland.

But its a huge move and I am so excited i cant stop thinking that we will be off LOng island soon.
oh wow, ii envy you so much

Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 AM

10 posts, read 14,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
why do you want to come back? i must have missed that part. so to answer, i would not choose to raise my kids here. i don't see my kids growing up here, and if we end up staying in LI longer tahn we want to, so be it, we will suck it up, but we do not like long island, esp. having lived in other states, we feel like this is bottom of the barrel. so if you're happy where you are at, and if your kids are doing well, and adjusting well, stay where you are.
We think about coming back just because we really miss family. That really would be the only reason.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeNYer View Post
We think about coming back just because we really miss family. That really would be the only reason.
i can understand that. if it were up to me, i'd take my kids back to the country I was born, only because of the family element. but i won't do that, because this country will offer them much much more, and I have to choose what's right for them. if the town you're in offers more to your kids than what LI offers, or you think LI can offer to them, i would stay put.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM

791 posts, read 1,429,994 times
Never. You couldn't pay me enough.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,918,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
TY to all you transplants. Next time a transplant I know close to your locations in VA, NC, etc., complains about "no good pizza waah waah waah" I can give them your suggestions to try out.
We really do have the amenities of good living (pizza & bagels) it's just getting people to admit that they can exist outside NY/NJ...

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,918,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Do you like Einstein's bagels ? There pretty good over here and I know there in Charlotte. I've been to Manhattan Bagels and I think right next to Katz New York Deli. The bagels were good if I remember correctly
Einsteins is eh, they'll do. Manhattan Bagels was great but they went out in Innsbrook. We now have NY Bagels on Cox which is really good...

Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,097,057 times
Quote:
Don't worry, as taxes continue to escalate on LI, there is a good chance your family will join you in the future. Everyone has a breaking point financially.

As LI steadily looks like the 6th borough of NYC, will people still want to pay astronomical property taxes to support an increasingly inferior area?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,302,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pragcap View Post
Why would you want to be strapped financially to live on Long Island? IMO sit tight for another year or two. Something is going to give on LI in regards to taxes or home prices, or a combination thereof. If you are happy where you are at, continue to be happy there and continue to save up money. Then next winter come back to forced austerity in regards to public pensions and 5 percent lower home prices. You are still young 30, Long Island will always be there.
Everyone is different. LI has always been my home. All my family and friends are here, my job is here, my LIFE is here. I would rather live here and be financially strapped then move away from all the people I love and have all the $$ in the world. That's me though.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,583,166 times
Quote:
If you moved away
I did. Took my family and business with me. Best decision I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island