Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,276 times

Advertisements

My daughter is taking the test for the 2nd time, 1st time she took it was in Riverhead and her nerves got the best of her. I have been practicing with her every day and she does really well with her parking and her parallel parking, and everything else, only question i do have because she's been told 3 different things, when parallel parking, does she bring her right arm over the passenger seat and look back while doing so? This is something that she was told; i told her keep hands on wheels at all times and look over her shoulder as she's backing into a parallel park... please advise if you know.. thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM

852 posts, read 962,437 times
Actually, depending on the circumstances, you can't win when it comes to stop lines and stop signs.

I failed my first road test in Queens, when I was a young'un, because I stopped at the stop sign; then proceeded to roll forward to the stop line, where I could get a decent view of the cross street. A car was coming on the cross street, and beeped at me, because, I guess he thought I was going to pull out.

Methinks these stoopit tests are designed in such a way, that a lot of discretion is left to the examiner- so they can pretty much fail you at will, if they choose.

Remind your wife to always check her blind spot by looking over her shoulder, when appropriate...that's a biggie, which snags a lot of people. (I've always been compulsive about that- so it wasn't an issue for me, even on my test...)

Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM

852 posts, read 962,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylilyflower View Post
My daughter is taking the test for the 2nd time, 1st time she took it was in Riverhead and her nerves got the best of her. I have been practicing with her every day and she does really well with her parking and her parallel parking, and everything else, only question i do have because she's been told 3 different things, when parallel parking, does she bring her right arm over the passenger seat and look back while doing so? This is something that she was told; i told her keep hands on wheels at all times and look over her shoulder as she's backing into a parallel park... please advise if you know.. thank you..
Your way is correct. IIRC, it'd be an instant fail if she put her arm over the seat.

That's why these tests are so stupid- they have no relevance to the real world/real driving. They're about doing what you're told and following orders- and not driving. So the person who scrutinizes the manual for every dotted i and crossed t, but can't drive, will often do better than the person who can drive well, but who wasn't a stickler for the details in the manual.

FWIW: a lesson or two with one of the better* driving schools is well worth it- as they know what the test examiners are looking for, and can instruct you accordingly- Some will even give practice road tests.

[*="Better" meaning one with real professional instructors- not just housewives and job-seekers with little or no training]

EDIT:

From the NYS Driver's Manual:

"Look behind you over both shoulders to make sure you will not interfere with pedestrians or oncoming traffic. Back the vehicle slowly and begin to turn your steering wheel completely toward the near curb. Look through the rear window, not the mirrors, when you back up."

http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-7-parallel-parking

I'd say arm-over-the-seat would be a no-no, 'cause it'd prevent one from looking over both shoulders. And remind her to look out the back window and not use the mirrors! [So, basically, young inexperienced drivers are made to practice a technique that is just not practical nor safe in the real world!]

Last edited by Mumbly Joe; 11-17-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Like, I forgoteded some stuff & junk....

Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Hands on the wheel, turn head and look over shoulder.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,276 times
Thank you...her road test is today. ...cross your fingers for me

Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 18,346 times
How to pass the road test at Centereach ?
I really need the standard answer and have failed many times.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 5,640,559 times
Maybe you shouldnt be driving

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM

116 posts, read 169,764 times
Quote:
just glance down at the backup camera

Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
just glance down at the backup camera
I was wondering about that... I generally use my back-up camera for those kinds of things... but would they fail you on the road test if you didn't look behind you b/c that is what you're 'supposed' to do?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwzz View Post
How to pass the road test at Centereach ?
I really need the standard answer and have failed many times.
You pass the road test at Centereach (or any other location) by:

1) learning how to properly operate motor vehicle;

2) exhibiting your comprehension of the drivers manual and rules of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island