Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 20,667 times

Advertisements

I am going to be relocating and will be working in Plainview. Is it possible to live in Manhattan and drive to Plainview everymorning and vice versa after work. How is the commute? I am told the rush out traffic is in the other direction but I am not sure. I live in the west coast and have no clue and need help. Also where in New York city would be best to live? Or in the long Island area? I would really appreciate all the inputs. I don't have kids so schools are not important. But I'd like to have a social life Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrind View Post
I am going to be relocating and will be working in Plainview. Is it possible to live in Manhattan and drive to Plainview everymorning and vice versa after work. How is the commute? I am told the rush out traffic is in the other direction but I am not sure. I live in the west coast and have no clue and need help. Also where in New York city would be best to live? Or in the long Island area? I would really appreciate all the inputs. I don't have kids so schools are not important. But I'd like to have a social life Thank you all.
No, I would not recommend that. It would be a nightmare.

For example, are you aware of how expensive the RENT is in Manhattan? For starters, where do you think you will keep a car in Manhattan? It is hundreds (yes a "S" on the end of that ... estimate $600 a month for parking for 1 car alone) of dollars per month just to rent a space for the car! It is at least $2K a month for an apartment (not a share, but your own apartment) in a safe area of Manhattan. How much are you going to be making in Plainview? If it is not into the 6 figures ... for example $125K and UP, you will not be able to afford to live in Manhattan by yourself (no roommates) and keep a car in Manhattan. That doesn't even factor in the nightmare commute to Plainview, Long Island.

The tolls, extra gas because of all the traffic, and maintenance of a car that is used constantly on roadways that are often not well maintained (even though it is technically "reverse rush hour" ... it is still swamped with cars because there are plenty of people who travel east for their work) would eat up the rest of your salary.

Therefore with the 2-hour each way commute due to traffic jams (lack of time) and having basic expenses eat up most of your salary if it is under $125K (lack of money), you would not have much of a social life unless you want to hang around in Central Park or other "free" places to go.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Thank you for the response. Where would you recommend to live in that area?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrind View Post
Thank you for the response. Where would you recommend to live in that area?
We need more information. How old are you? Are you single? What do you like to do in your spare time? What are your interests? What type of housing are you looking for (house, apartment, etc.)? How long/short of a commute do you want?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I am 32, single. I am a city girl, like movies, theater etc, hanging out with friends, partying occasionally and being outdoors at the weekends. Type of housing is not that important. Commute preferred 30-45 minutes.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 PM

You might like:

Long Beach
Huntington
Babylon Village

That's a start ... anyone else want to chime in here?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM

148 posts, read 475,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You might like:

Long Beach
Huntington
Babylon Village

I agree..

Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You might like:

Long Beach
Huntington
Babylon Village

All excellent recommendations!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
Long Beach is too far to commute to Plainview.

The commute from Manhattan to Plainview during non-peak rush hours isn't as bad as you think. If you live in Long Beach (especially on the west end), I bet that I can get to Plainview from Manhattan quicker than you would get there from Long Beach. Especially after you factor in all of the red lights and 30mph zones in Long Beach.

If you would prefer to be closer to Manhattan for the nightlife... stick to living in Queens. Woodside, Sunnyside, Astoria, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens are all good choices.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
Check out Bayside and Douglaston neighborhoods in Queens, its 20 min on LIRR to Penn Sta ( Manhattan) for city life, and about 30 min drive to Plainview. Of course the drive can be longer depending on time of day.

Babylon village and Huntington are good choices for living on LI, though there is no town on LI that compares to NYC. Also check out Rockville centre, which is closer to NYC than the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island