Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 PM

185 posts, read 455,848 times

Advertisements

There's a little triangle in Islandia that is between Vets Highway, Old Nichols Road and the LIE. The houses don't look bad from the photos and the sale prices seem to be relatively low. So is this a bad area?
I think I noticed Central Islip school distrcit. Isn't CI bad? I dont care about the school district myself, but I'm looking to buy and sell within the next few years and will definitely care about resale value.

ANY input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM

327 posts, read 1,059,974 times
CI schools are not that hot... if it were me id pass

Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 PM

188 posts, read 414,718 times
Head over towards Great River, you might be better off.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 PM

185 posts, read 455,848 times
So just a little setup of what I'm trying to do. I'm looking to buy a fixer-upper below 275k with relatively inexpensive taxes. I plan on fixing it up and living there for 2-3 years. Like I said, I am not really concerned with the schools but I don't want them to be terrible because then it's harder to sell the house later on.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,749,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
So just a little setup of what I'm trying to do. I'm looking to buy a fixer-upper below 275k with relatively inexpensive taxes. I plan on fixing it up and living there for 2-3 years. Like I said, I am not really concerned with the schools but I don't want them to be terrible because then it's harder to sell the house later on.

That area is called Levitt because most of the homes are made by Levitt and Sons. Before it became the village of Islandia it was part of the hamlet of Central Islip. It's where the majority of the white residents who attend CI schools live. The area is very safe and very quiet very atypical of CI and majority of the homes are owner occupied. From what I've been told the homes have lower taxes than CI because of the many businesses in Islandia and the homes retain their value better than those in CI but not as well as Hauppauge but on par with Ronkonkoma. For what you want it's a decent investment. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,956,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
If your plan is to not send kids to school there and you pay the lowest possible price for the house, than it's not a terrible idea. Just be aware that most likely the selling price of that house is not going to go up in 3 years (ridiculously low interest rates now, poor economy) unless the renovations completely transform the house.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,310,233 times
CI schools are not good, but that is built into your purchase price anyway, so it kinda negates your thoughts when you are selling.
I know the area you are talking about and it looks nice. So 2-3 years (for sure) and no schooling huh ? I would say you can do it if you want, but I will not recommend it.
Be aware of buyers remorse though, once you buy it there is no going back. If its just going to be 2-3 years I would just rent a house for now.
Once you buy a house you will spend a certain amount of money for cosmetic improvements on it in the first couple of years regardless of the state of the house. If the market takes a dive, you may not be where you think you will be at the end of 3 years.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM

270 posts, read 961,321 times
I know someone who lives overthere in Islandia and they are CI shools also. they have been trying to sell there house for a long time with now such luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island