Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 59,688 times

Advertisements

I read that each time the test is given out, only a few hundred positions are available and that they take the top scores which is 105 and the only way you get 105 is if you were in the military and get a perfect score on the test. So for someone who isn't former military is it pretty much impossible to get hired?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Not true. People scoring below 100% have been hired in the past.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Rumor has it there's a large policy of Nepotism within these (but likely all) police departments.
They're just more desirable positions than policing in other areas of the country.

You could be completely unqualified for the job though, lacking all credentials, but get a recommendation from the Town Supervisor and a waiver from the state and be a cop. At least that's how it works for NYC chancellor of schools.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
A few friends of mine that are in there 20's and 30's and got on a few years ago are not former military. Two were NYPD; two were community college and university graduates when they were hired.

I've heard many people compare being hired to winning the lotto, in that I think they randomly select from score ranges.

Don't take what I say as fact, as I didn't look into it and just saying what I have heard.

Nassau/Suffolk and State Trooper seem to be good salary and while people say they might not 'work' much I think I would be anxious and nervous all day on the job. The reason being, the thought and possibility of pulling someone over and it turning into someone trying to flee and kill you.

The same goes for firemen, I always thought it was a cushy easy job and the pay was good, but when people told me I should've taken the test I know I couldn't do the job. Again the anxiety and fear that anytime during the day I would have to enter a burning building is a deterrent for me.

I don't consider myself a timid, scared person but if a building is burning I'm running out of it, not in. If there are shots fired I'm fleeing and hiding for my life and not engaging and putting myself in the line of fire to protect strangers....I'm not Batman.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
No guts no glory for you

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Rumor has it there's a large policy of Nepotism within these (but likely all) police departments.
They're just more desirable positions than policing in other areas of the country.

You could be completely unqualified for the job though, lacking all credentials, but get a recommendation from the Town Supervisor and a waiver from the state and be a cop. At least that's how it works for NYC chancellor of schools.
That is because the chancellor of schools is an appointed position.

Here are the facts: applicants are placed on a hiring list based on test score and are called in that order for further processing. Knowing someone cannot get you called any faster. Suffolk may still use a lottery system where for example, all who scored 100% are randomly selected for further processing. This will continue to be done until the next level of scores are reached. You may attend the lottery in person if you wish.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
over 80% of SC/NC new hires come from the NYPD. So what happens is of the 200 available spots, 40 are gone immediately. The remaining half are reserved for ethnic minorities regardless of who took the test (So if 50,000 white folks and 2 minorities take the test ONE is getting the job). And so on.
The amount of candidates selected that do not have previous LE experience is quite small. It's a difficult job to get.
It is not required that you get a 105 on the test but because they start at the top scores and the amount of people they are looking to hire is so small, you do the math...
Hypothetically every person who scored a 105 can be eliminated for other reasons and they move to the 100 scores, then the 99, 98, etc.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Joe,

Don't worry......Your young enough to take it several more times. Next time try a little harder and you just might make the list I have a funny feeling were going to see a lot more posts from you in the very near future

Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 PM

30 posts, read 64,176 times
Being a Port Authority cop is a better job than being with the ncpd or scpd anyway.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 PM

290 posts, read 582,914 times
Unlike some speculatory postings, the truth of the matter is this: You take the test, score high enough, pass all of the other requirements[medical, physical, psychological, etc], add in the need for bodies by the county, and you're in. From date of test to date of hiring is usually a 2+ year minimum. Nassau has more or less set their number of police officers at about 2450 or so [I can't speak for Suffolk]. Nassau just had over 100 officers retire, and due to a bevy of things, really aren't hiring now. That could change quickly. Haven't prior time doesn't necessarily work as an advantage, unless one of the small villages will allow you to laterally move, which isn't all that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: