Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,394,350 times

Advertisements

Having been a city person for the great majority of my life of 56 years (thus far) (if it matters, I am a Caucasian male of Jewish background), and appreciating inner-city life for what it is worth and then having had the opportunity to live on Long Island, what I like/love about LONG ISLAND is:

THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT LONG ISLAND ON A GENERAL (RATHER THAN SPECIFIC) LEVEL:

1) The relative PEACE, QUIET AND TRANQUILITY of everyday life out here. It is, relatively speaking, a life with a low level of environmental stressors. That is, stress as caused by what is happening in the environment/context in which you are situated . . . compared to city living. There are simply less things to cause continual, ongoing tension and stress for you in your day-to-day living on Long Island than in New York City or whatever other city.

2) One can go through their day-to-day lives in Lnog Island and not be constantly confronted with ALL OF SOCIETY'S MISCREANTS, MALCONTENTS, LOWLIFES, ET AL constantly in your face and up your rear end (unlike what you so often encounter living in the city . . . whether New York, Boston, Philadelphia, or wherever). I've lived in all those places (and more) all around the U.S. over the decades and it is very welcome and lovely to just be able to go through life and not always have to have your guard up and constantly be on the lookout for trouble. No place is completely immune from encountering society's miscreants and one should always have your guard up to some degree, but this is much less so in a place like Long Island than living in the city.

3) (Expanding on what was stated above): You can go through your day-to-day life over a great stretch of time (if not practically all the time) in the overwhelming majority of Long Island (whether in hamlets, villages, towns, urban-like conglomerations, parks, natural or rural settings, shopping centers and malls, et al) and not encounter BEGGARS/PANHANDLERS/HUSTLERS/HUCKSTERS. Compare this to the city, where you can hardly go through a day without getting accosted by multiple persons trying to beg off of you, hustle you, give you some hard-luck story, proselytize you for some religious or political or whatever agenda, solicit funds from you for whatever cause(s), et al. In all my time living in and moving about in Long Island, only twice did I ever get begged (once by some semi-disheveled unshaven middle- or upper-middle-aged Caucasian man outside a convenience store/gas stop in North Bay Shore and once in downtown Farmingdale (near Main & Conklin Streets) by some young African-American man. Neither were really aggressive (both were rather tame) but it struck me that you can go through such long expanses of time and not encounter begging/panhandling as a regular occurrence living and working out in Long Island (though perhaps in some places like Hempstead Village or Huntington Station, I've heard that it may be more of an occurrence, along with gang violence in those areas and some other areas in Long Island at-large).

4) The TOPOGRAPHY, GEOGRAPHY, AND DIVERSITY of this landlocked expanse that we call Long Island (Nassau & Suffolk Counties). You have an area of some 106 miles from east-to-west (from the Queens-Nassau border to Montauk Point) and some 21-23 miles (from North Shore-to-South Shore) of such a diversity of settings, peoples, shopping-business-commercial, cultural, entertainment, recreational, etc. assets to draw upon here. I find that I can go through my day-to-day life and accomplish whatever it is, WITHOUT having to ever go into any of the five boroughs of New York City or New Jersey, Westchester, et al. EVERYTHING I ever need or want to do (for the nearly overwhelming majority of the time) is taken care of by what is in Long Island. If I want urban-like settings and walkable business and residential districts, they have it here. Yet if I want easy access to the ocean (the Atlantic or Long Island Sound), beaches, lakes, rivers, forests and woodlands, hills, gorges, state parks, municipal or county parks, et al, it is all here. If I want bus or train or air or boat transportation, it is all here. And, if it there is something that I just have to go into the big city for, the biggest city/megalopolis of all is just to our west within one hour or less (depending on where you live and how you get there, of course). And the New York City/New Jersey subways and buses run 24 hours/7 days, as does the commuter rail (LIRR, MTA, . . .), so I never have to be concerned about getting to and from the city back to Long Island at any hour of day or night (if I should choose to take public transit instead of bringing my car into whichever of the 5 boroughs or New Jersey's PATH Subway-reachable Gold Coast [Jersey City, Hoboken, Newark, et al]). Yes, even the Long Island Railroad runs 24 hours/7 days.

5) THE DIVERSITY OF PEOPLES of whatever race, nationality or ethnic group, creed, religion or non-religion, political or cultural or philosophical affinity, et al. Unlike how some persons try to portray Long Island or suburban life, I find that I am never cut off from experiencing the diversity of peoples that make up the human species . . . which helps me to maintain a balanced, informed and wholesome view of life rather than an insular, parochial or prejudicial view of life. There are people on this CITY-DATA FORUMS at-large (and elsewhere on the Internet) who will express ambivalent or negative views of living and interacting with persons of other races, nationalities, et al. The outlook/view that I have evolved into regarding such matters can be summarized as such: "I don't care about the color of skin; I care about the color of behavior". As long as a person can conduct himself or herself in a civilized, appropriate manner and respect the dignity, sanctity, safety and peace-of-mind of other persons, maintain social and civil decorum, and care about maintaining the environment around them, that is all I care about. I don't care at all what anyone looks like or what ehtnic/racial/other labels they have assigned to them by society or by themselves; all I care about is how people choose to conduct themselves as individuals. I can have relations with and like or even love anyone if we connect on the heart- and head-level -- regardless of externalities. The degree of diversity of peoples we have on Long Island is a BLESSING and an ASSET.

AS TO SOME SPECIFICS MORE UNIQUE TO LONG ISLAND ITSELF (RATHER THAN BEING GENERALIZABLE TO MOST SUBURBS EVERYWHERE):

1) I love the DIVERSITY OF SHOPPING in Long Island. Whether I want great malls (Roosevelt Field, Walt Whitman, Smith Haven Mall, et al) or shopping centers or chain stores of individual stores or dealers of whatever type of goods or servives or restaurants/eateries of whatever types you can find in the city, it is all here on Long Island. We are never at a loss here.

2) I love that one is NOT LANDLOCKED (water-wise) on Long Island but rather you have the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound and their beaches or waterfronts, as well as bays, rivers, lakes, canals, and the like. Compared to living far removed from that, like so much of the rest of the U.S.

3) When I feel I need more of a WALKABLE, DENSER ENVIRONMENT like the cities have to offer (rather than living every day in a wholly car-dependent and remote way), I love all the WALKABLE cities, towns, villages, hamlets, and other conglomerations we have in both Nassau Coiunty (e.g., Garden City, Westbury, Carle Place, Mineola, Hicksville, Oyster Bay, Port Washington, Great Neck, Long Beach, Atlantic Beach, Oceanside, Hempstead, New Hyde Park, Glen Cove, Farmingdale, etc.) and Suffolk County (e.g., Babylon, Bay Shore, Amityville, Sayville, Patchogue, Brentwood, Huntington Village and Huntington Station, Northport Village and East Northport, Port Jefferson, Smithtown Village, Riverhead, the Hamptons, Montauk, et al).

4) I love all the QUAINT NEW ENGLAND-LIKE VILLAGES AND SETTINGS of the North Shore (whether Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington Village, Northport, Port Jefferson, Stony Brook - Setauket, etc.).

5) I love that we have FERRIES going to Connecticut and back from Port Jefferson and from Orient Point. The Orient Point ferry takes you to New London (CT), which is far-eastern Connecticut (getting rather close to the Rhode Island border, making it a short hop to Providence or Boston or Cape Cod or wherever else).

6) I love MICRO CENTER (a computer-and-electronic superstore/department store chain) having a Long Island location in Westbury. It keeps me from having to go into the city to get nearly any kind of computer-or-electronics items (and then we have all the other chains or individual stores to complement them: Staples, Office Max, Best Buy, P.C. Richards, Walmart, K-Mart, Target, et al). MICRO CENTER is a one-of-a-kind store and I'm glad there is one on Long Island and in a very convenient location.

7) I like the BOARDWALK and BEACH environment of Long Beach.

8) I like the 3 particular major PHOTOGRAPHIC- AND VIDEOGRAPHIC GOODS DEALERS we have Long Island -- BERGER BROTHERS (Amityville and Syosset), CAMETA CAMERA (Amityville) and NEPTUNE PHOTO (Garden City). With these stores (though I've nearly always used BERGER BROTHERS thus far), I never really have to go into New York City to get any advanced photographic- or videographic-related products, classes, developing services, et al. They are as advanced as those stores you'd find in Manhattan.

9) Although I gather that most persons living on Long Island probably own their own WASHERS AND DRYERS (is this true?), I love that I see 24-HOUR LAUNDROMATS all over Long Island. I haven't seen this in other places I've lived around the U.S. over the decades (unless I just didn't notice it).

10) As to HISTORIC AND CULTURAL SITES, I like SAGAMORE HILL and OYSTER BAY in general, the VANDERBILT MUSEUM AND PLANETARIUM (Centerport), AMERICAN AIR POWER MUSEUM (East Farmingdale), the LONG ISLAND MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, HISTORY AND CARRIAGES (Stony Brook), wandering the grounds of the former PILGRIM STATE or KINGS PARK PSYCHIATRIC CENTERS (very large expanses and both are like a world-within-a-world), and other sites.

11) As to ENTERTAINMENT AND RECREATION: ADVENTURELAND amusement park (East Farmingdale), HECKSCHER PARK (Huntinton Village), SUNKEN MEADOW STATE PARK (Kings Park, NY), EISENHOWER PARK (East Meadow), hanging out in PORT JEFFERSON or HUNTINGTON VILLAGE or the greater GARDEN CITY/CARLE PLACE/WESTBURY area (i.e., the greater Roosevelt Field - Source Mall and Nassau County governmental complexes area along greater Old Country Road).

12) I love walking and traveling around GARDEN CITY/MINEOLA/CARLE PLACE/WESTBURY in general. It must be the most urban part of Long Island yet very kempt, well-maintained, safe, etc. Greater HEMPSTEAD VILLAGE and nearby communities would be nice to walk and travel around as well (more often) if I want an urban feel like in the city . . . if it were just more SAFE FROM CRIME. Residents there tell me (and the police and news accounts inform me) of the crime prevalent there over the years. It's a shame, because I really like HEMPSTEAD otherwise. It's about as urban as you can get in Long Island (outside of GARDEN CITY, ROOSEVELT, FREEPORT, LONG BEACH, and some other places).

13) I love the entire EAST END (Riverhead, the North and South Forks, the Hamptons, Montauk and Montauk Point, Greenport, Orient Point, et al). It is such a contrast to areas further west on Long Island. We all know that the closer you get in the direction of Queens and Brooklyn, the more urban it gets (some even think of Nassau County as "Queens East"). That urbanity or denser development is all well and good and I truly DO appreciate that there is that option, but it is nice sometimes to get to a more bucolic, open-spaced, less congested and less developed setting (the more natural setting of what makes Long Island to be Long Island rather than just another cookie-cutter suburban conglomeration not much different from another other suburban conglomeration in the U.S.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:16 PM

153 posts, read 604,279 times
I remember starting a thread like this a year or so back, funny how 90% of the responses were "the food" lol

My vote goes to proximity to the city and everything being close.

You can go to any store within 15-20 minutes.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Having been a city person for the great majority of my life of 56 years (thus far) (if it matters, I am a Caucasian male of Jewish background), and appreciating inner-city life for what it is worth and then having had the opportunity to live on Long Island, what I like/love about LONG ISLAND is:

THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT LONG ISLAND ON A GENERAL (RATHER THAN SPECIFIC) LEVEL:

1) The relative PEACE, QUIET AND TRANQUILITY of everyday life out here. It is, relatively speaking, a life with a low level of environmental stressors. That is, stress as caused by what is happening in the environment/context in which you are situated . . . compared to city living. There are simply less things to cause continual, ongoing tension and stress for you in your day-to-day living on Long Island than in New York City or whatever other city.

2) One can go through their day-to-day lives in Lnog Island and not be constantly confronted with ALL OF SOCIETY'S MISCREANTS, MALCONTENTS, LOWLIFES, ET AL constantly in your face and up your rear end (unlike what you so often encounter living in the city . . . whether New York, Boston, Philadelphia, or wherever). I've lived in all those places (and more) all around the U.S. over the decades and it is very welcome and lovely to just be able to go through life and not always have to have your guard up and constantly be on the lookout for trouble. No place is completely immune from encountering society's miscreants and one should always have your guard up to some degree, but this is much less so in a place like Long Island than living in the city.
Very thorough opinion on LI. I think the first 2 quoted above are definitely taken for granted by most of us. There's nothing like escaping the chaos of NYC to arrive back to peace n quiet on LI. The part about panhandlers, fake rolex hawks, scalpers et al.. is very true too. Dealing with the hustlers from all parts of the city is a real downer. Worst thing you get on LI is Jehovah's witness folks once in a blue moon, lots of kids selling candy and the Cablevision/Fios guys constantly coming to your door to sell you a bundle package.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-21-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,394,350 times
EVEN MORE CONSIDERATIONS OF WHAT I LIKE/LOVE ABOUT LONG ISLAND (to expand on my last contribution to this forum):

1) I suppose that one could say this about ANY suburban areas in the U.S. or Canada but, for Long Island, it applies in a particular and unique way. That is, I love that Long Island is BUILT FOR THE CAR (that is, it is built for driving a car . . . as compared to living in the big city). Now, all suburbs, by definition, can be said to be "built for the car" as compared to big city living -- yet, with Long Island, you have a pre-set area or expanse within which you are confined by our topographic features (being that we are landlocked by water on all sides— North, South, and East —except for the West) and can't drive any further than that pre-set area or expanse (which is 106 miles from the Queens-Nassau border to Montauk Point or 90 miles from the Queens-Nassau border to Orient Point and then 20-23 miles from North Shore-to-South Shore at its longest north-south stretch). So it IS a confined geographic area to which you are limited for driving YET still quite a large expanse of land to be confined to. The point is: This leaves a pleasure driver a quite sizable area to go on long, extended relatively non-stop drives . . . if one sometimes likes to take excursions for sightseeing or taking in the scenery or driving to clear your mind or think about whatever. You can take extended relatively non-stop drives through our towns, villages, hamlets, cities, state parks and reserves, beaches and waterfront areas, business districts, residential districts, woodlands and nature preserves, along our expressways and highways, etc. etc. etc. and keep on driving and you know that you can’t go TOO TOO FAR without hitting our natural borders with the ocean on our east and south and Long Island Sound on our north. Whereas, if you were in the cities and urban areas outside Long Island, you’d be having to be CONSTANTLY stopping for frequent red lights, traffic jams, pedestrians crossing with and against the lights, et al and slowed down greatly by the overall congestion and denser environments of the big city.

And then, along with the above DRIVABILITY factors, you virtually always can find FREE PARKING wherever you go on Long Island, anytime of day or night (or, if not always free in a few locations, the parking charge is nominal [such as when I had to go to the heart of Hempstead Village to go to Traffic Court and paid to park in the municipal garage across the street, the cost was a “drop in the bucket” . . . or when I went to downtown Port Jefferson where all the entertainment is around greater Main Street, I paid maybe $2 or $3]).

IN SUMMARY: Long Island is “BUILT FOR THE CAR” (even though we DO also have bus transportation throughout Long Island and then also the LIRR . . . and the LIRR runs 24 hours/7 days, just like the New York City subway system) and we have a significant yet reasonably defined expanse within which to confine your driving. You probably don’t have to drive more than 2 hours to get from far-west to far-east Long Island (if you stay on expressways all-the-way) . . . or maybe 2.5 hours or less if you run into any traffic or have to stop for gas or slow down a bit.

2) I like the fine PUBLIC LIBRARIES we have throughout Long Island. They are apparently well-funded, feature-packed and eminently useful libraries (whereas in the big cities, your library quality will be rather variable). And, of course, if one needs or wants to, you can go onto the campuses of our range of FOUR-YEAR COLLEGES, COMMUNITY COLLEGES, AND UNIVERSITIES throughout Long Island to use their LIBRARIES OR OTHER USEFUL FACILITIES.

3) We have a great daily newspaper in NEWSDAY. I’ve long admired the editorial and visual quality and newsworthiness of NEWSDAY. It has an almost “New York Times”-like quality (where the New York Times’ motto is “All the News That’s Fit to Print”) rather than a New York Daily News- or New York Post-like tabloid or rag quality (where the overall approach of such newspapers aims to appeal, by and large, to the lowest common denominator or lowest mentality . . . which is a rather “schlocky” or “crappy” quality). Newsday aims for much higher journalistic standards and yet is still an eminently readable and presentable newspaper that is written to be digestible to a broad diversified audience (whereas the New York Times often appears to be written exclusively to a very high-brow, upper-echelon audience). NEWSDAY, in other words, has a very balanced approach between the New York Times/Washington Post and the New York Daily News/New York Post.

4) One thing that is unique to most suburbs, exurbs, and rural areas (compared to the big city) is the prevalence of WALMART. You just never, ever find WALMART in the big cities anywhere in the U.S. (if there is one or two exceptions anywhere in the U.S., I’d be very, very surprised). Not that WALMART is unique to Long Island compared to any other suburban, exurban or rural areas, but just that you cannot find WALMART anywhere in the 5 boroughs of New York City . . . whereas you can find the other big chain stores BOTH in New York City and in Long Island (i.e., K-Mart, Target, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). IN SUMMARY: I like that you can find WALMART all around Long Island (though I know there are those persons who have a great aversion and opposition to WALMART—almost like a religious-like objection to them –but, if you don’t otherwise object to the very existence of WALMART, they are useful to have around for very low prices, very wide selection, early and late hours of operation, et al).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although this original thread was meant to cover WHAT WE LIKE ABOUT LONG ISLAND (rather than what we don’t like), I’d like to mention ONE THING THAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT LIFE ON LONG ISLAND: That is, I wish there were MORE HOSPITALS spread throughout Long Island, with less distance between them . . . so that one is never too far from a hospital if they need it in an emergency. Many towns/villages/areas in Long Island do not have a hospital that is too nearby, so one may have to drive (or first be gotten to by an ambulance or by some other person or party and then driven) a good long distance to get to the nearest hospital IN AN EMERGENCY. In an emergency, you may not be able to drive yourself at all or drive too far or find someone else to drive you or the distance to drive and the factors that can slow you down or stop you along the way can be a life-or-death difference. For instance, from where my parents lived in Dix Hills (along Vanderbilt Parkway, about a mile from Commack Road and Vanderbilt Parkway), it was either 8.5-to-9.5 miles north to the nearest hospital in Huntington Village (Huntington Hospital) or about 8-10 miles to the northeast somewhat north of Smithtown Village (St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center). Another example: You look at a large urban-like conglomeration like Hicksville (though Hicksville is classified as a hamlet, it is more like a small city) and find that they have no hospital located within or very near it; the nearest is in Bethpage (New Island Hospital/St. Joseph Hospital). Another example: Once you get south of Huntington Village (within which they have Huntington Hospital), you can keep going south down New York Ave./Route 110/Broadhollow Road (going 15 miles or so from north to south, if driving straight down north-to-south from Huntington Village down to Amityville) through all the communities and areas along the ways and nearby areas (i.e., South Huntington, Melville, East Farmingdale and Farmingdale, Wheatley Heights, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Deer Park, North Amityville, Amityville, and a host of other nearby and surrounding areas and NOT HAVE ONE SINGLE NEARBY HOSPITAL to serve any of these communities. We are talking about a 15-mile stretch from north-to-south and then some miles in either direction east or west beyond that (depending on which direction you have to drive from whatever communities you are starting from) to get to the nearest hospital. Another example: Even in a large urban conglomeration like Hempstead Village (which must be THE most urban area in all of Long Island) and the surrounding Hempsteads (South Hempstead, West Hempstead, et al), you do not have a hospital to serve them. This is UNbelievable!!! Compare all these examples (and more examples not even brought up here by me) to living in the big city, where it is much more likely for you to be able to get to a hospital in an emergency notably quicker and most often without even having to have a car at your disposal. This is something that needs to be rectified for such a vast landlocked expanse as Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties).

Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,660,341 times
Well for hospitals near Hicksville (my wife grew up there), depending on the part of Hicksville you are in you have:

- New Island (South/West parts)
- NSUH Plainview (fka Central General) on OCR in Plainview (North/East parts)
- NSUH Syosset (fka Syosset General) on Jericho Tpke (North parts)

Where the lack of hospitals exist in Suffolk has to be the area between roughly Route 112 east to Riverhead. You have Stony Brook/St. Charles/Mather on the North and Brookhaven on the South and then nothing till you hit Riverhead.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM

22,634 posts, read 36,598,102 times
Quote:
3) We have a great daily newspaper in NEWSDAY. I’ve long admired the editorial and visual quality and newsworthiness of NEWSDAY. It has an almost “New York Timesâ€-like quality (where the New York Times’ motto is “All the News That’s Fit to Printâ€) rather than a New York Daily News- or New York Post-like tabloid or rag quality (where the overall approach of such newspapers aims to appeal, by and large, to the lowest common denominator or lowest mentality . . . which is a rather “schlocky†or “crappy†quality). Newsday aims for much higher journalistic standards and yet is still an eminently readable and presentable newspaper that is written to be digestible to a broad diversified audience (whereas the New York Times often appears to be written exclusively to a very high-brow, upper-echelon audience). NEWSDAY, in other words, has a very balanced approach between the New York Times/Washington Post and the New York Daily News/New York Post.

).
You just lost all credibility.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM

929 posts, read 2,062,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You just lost all credibility.
I think posting more than 10 words in a "The good things about Long Island" automatically loses someone all their credibility.

The great things about LI:

1. Beaches
2. Five bridges that don't charge you to leave
3. Less guidos then Jersey

Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Well for hospitals near Hicksville (my wife grew up there), depending on the part of Hicksville you are in you have:

- New Island (South/West parts)
- NSUH Plainview (fka Central General) on OCR in Plainview (North/East parts)
- NSUH Syosset (fka Syosset General) on Jericho Tpke (North parts)

Where the lack of hospitals exist in Suffolk has to be the area between roughly Route 112 east to Riverhead. You have Stony Brook/St. Charles/Mather on the North and Brookhaven on the South and then nothing till you hit Riverhead.
Yeah I agree, plenty of hospitals except the barren pockets in suffolk..otherwise LI in general is great regarding hospitals. By southeast nassau, you could get to New Island in Bethpage via 135+ambulance in under 10 minutes (via 135 which never has traffic or SSP to 135). Not much different than most of Nassau. I think the hospital situation in nassau is much better than most of the country as is NCPD response rate. Even better than the city where chances are you have to be hauled from a huge apartment building and sit in gridlock, which could be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll
Even in a large urban conglomeration like Hempstead Village (which must be THE most urban area in all of Long Island) and the surrounding Hempsteads (South Hempstead, West Hempstead, et al), you do not have a hospital to serve them. This is UNbelievable!!! 3) We have a great daily newspaper in NEWSDAY. I’ve long admired the editorial and visual quality and newsworthiness of NEWSDAY. It has an almost “New York Times”-like quality
Many people are unfamiliar with the Hempstead area as well as you have Mercy Hospital ( but still has emergency) and South Nassau Hospital.

and the deep reverence of newsday ?? eesh

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,660,341 times
Quote:
EVEN MORE CONSIDERATIONS OF WHAT I LIKE/LOVE ABOUT LONG ISLAND (to expand on my last contribution to this forum):

Another example: Once you get south of Huntington Village (within which they have Huntington Hospital), you can keep going south down New York Ave./Route 110/Broadhollow Road (going 15 miles or so from north to south, if driving straight down north-to-south from Huntington Village down to Amityville) through all the communities and areas along the ways and nearby areas (i.e., South Huntington, Melville, East Farmingdale and Farmingdale, Wheatley Heights, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Deer Park, North Amityville, Amityville, and a host of other nearby and surrounding areas and NOT HAVE ONE SINGLE NEARBY HOSPITAL to serve any of these communities. We are talking about a 15-mile stretch from north-to-south and then some miles in either direction east or west beyond that (depending on which direction you have to drive from whatever communities you are starting from) to get to the nearest hospital.
South Huntington, Melville, East Farmingdale medic runs usually go to NSUH Plainview (not far) or New Island in Bethpage (again not far).
More serious cases will end up being airlifted to Stony Brook or NUMC.

Farmingdale medic runs usually go to New Island or NSUH Plainview in that order.

Wyandanch, Weathley Heights, Brentwood, Deer Park, Amityville will generally medic run to Good Samiaritan in West Islip.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,118,715 times
To add to the list:

The proximity to other areas is amazing. In a few hours, we can drive to CT, to PA, NJ (for concerts), upstate NY, MD, DC, VT, etc. There are many places in the country where you can drive for hours on end and you are still not going to hit something interesting. I appreciate having Long Island as a home base and having the ability to explore other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island