Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 AM

224 posts, read 673,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
What's your background? From your comments I'd suggest Valley Stream or Elmont.
1Nevets:

I'm white but grew up in the most culturally diverse community in the world in the Jackson Heights/Woodside/Elmhurst area of Queens. My father was an immigrant from Argentina. My mother from Spain. My neighbors, kid you not, were from Colombia, Haiti, Italy, Korea, Greece, India, Ecuador, Germany and Croatia... ALL ON THE SAME BLOCK!

I ended up marrying a South Indian girl from New Hyde Park.

Race and ethnicity is not something that is important to me. I get along with everyone. I've come to feel that Long Islanders are generally very xenophobic. I've read way too often on these forums how "diversity" really means Black and Hispanic and how Black and Hispanic means a "sketchy" neighborhood.

It's disappointing to read, but then again we all have our own experiences. The "minorities" I grew up with were all hard-working immigrants. Maybe in Long Island the minorities have been here for several generations. I can understand how that can be a problem. Every black kid I grew up with never spoke of slavery. But you take "American" blacks, the great grandchildren of slaves, people who were totally displaced and caused to start off on a bad foot, I can understand why "black" generally has a negative connotation on Long Island. It's unfortunate.

Anyhow, I know Long Island isn't Queens, but I'm curious to know if there are any truly diverse areas where different groups of people actually like living side by side.

I haven't spent much time in Elmont, but from what I have experienced, I found it to be a little ghetto. No offense to anyone. I like New Hyde Park. I drove around East Meadow yesterday and liked it. Roosevelt was awful. Hempstead is awful. I like Post Ave in Westbury but found areas around there pretty yucky (but I think I'd live on or near Post Ave).

Some of you might say, "well, why leave Queens?" Well, my wife wants Long Island. And despite growing up in New Hyde Park, she doesn't know much about Long Island except her area. I like NHP, but wish it were more mixed (it's basically white and Indian, and I have a feeling it's going to be all Indian in 15 years). Too much of any one group is no good in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,587,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
... my wife wants Long Island. And despite growing up in New Hyde Park, she doesn't know much about Long Island except her area. I like NHP, but wish it were more mixed (it's basically white and Indian, and I have a feeling it's going to be all Indian in 15 years). Too much of any one group is no good in my book.
Please bear in mind, 8 of every 10 places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your wife was actually living in, which, for many areas on Long Island, not only in the New Hyde Park area, is oftentimes different from the community named in the house's, where she was living, mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,752,956 times
Quote:
1Nevets:

I'm white but grew up in the most culturally diverse community in the world in the Jackson Heights/Woodside/Elmhurst area of Queens. My father was an immigrant from Argentina. My mother from Spain. My neighbors, kid you not, were from Colombia, Haiti, Italy, Korea, Greece, India, Ecuador, Germany and Croatia... ALL ON THE SAME BLOCK!

I ended up marrying a South Indian girl from New Hyde Park.

Race and ethnicity is not something that is important to me. I get along with everyone. I've come to feel that Long Islanders are generally very xenophobic. I've read way too often on these forums how "diversity" really means Black and Hispanic and how Black and Hispanic means a "sketchy" neighborhood.

It's disappointing to read, but then again we all have our own experiences. The "minorities" I grew up with were all hard-working immigrants. Maybe in Long Island the minorities have been here for several generations. I can understand how that can be a problem. Every black kid I grew up with never spoke of slavery. But you take "American" blacks, the great grandchildren of slaves, people who were totally displaced and caused to start off on a bad foot, I can understand why "black" generally has a negative connotation on Long Island. It's unfortunate.

Anyhow, I know Long Island isn't Queens, but I'm curious to know if there are any truly diverse areas where different groups of people actually like living side by side.

I haven't spent much time in Elmont, but from what I have experienced, I found it to be a little ghetto. No offense to anyone. I like New Hyde Park. I drove around East Meadow yesterday and liked it. Roosevelt was awful. Hempstead is awful. I like Post Ave in Westbury but found areas around there pretty yucky (but I think I'd live on or near Post Ave).

Some of you might say, "well, why leave Queens?" Well, my wife wants Long Island. And despite growing up in New Hyde Park, she doesn't know much about Long Island except her area. I like NHP, but wish it were more mixed (it's basically white and Indian, and I have a feeling it's going to be all Indian in 15 years). Too much of any one group is no good in my book.
I wish more Long Islanders thought like you then maybe we wouldn't have so many areas turning into slums because minorities are moving in. My suggestions for central and western Nassau are Valley Stream, Baldwin and Hicksville. Hope to see more future postings from you.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,724,855 times
Quote:
1Nevets:

I've come to feel that Long Islanders are generally very xenophobic. I've read way too often on these forums how "diversity" really means Black and Hispanic and how Black and Hispanic means a "sketchy" neighborhood.

Diversity on LI ends up being mostly Black/Spanish areas. Not that there's anything wrong with the 2, but it hasn't worked here. Like you said the areas were "pretty yucky" , "a little ghetto" etc... does that make someone unfamiliar with true diversity "xenophobic"? Of course not.

From the areas mentioned, I would recommend East Meadow (with E. Meadow SD).
Also, have you looked into Malverne, West Hempstead or Lynbrook?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Diversity on LI ends up being mostly Black/Spanish areas. Not that there's anything wrong with the 2, but it hasn't worked here. Like you said the areas were "pretty yucky" , "a little ghetto" etc... does that make someone unfamiliar with true diversity "xenophobic"? Of course not.

Good point.

I've never even heard of Malverne. Will check it out. I know nothing about Lynbrook but have generally heard it's nice. Thank you.

As for the gentleman who asked what part of New Hyde Park my wife is from: She grew up one block off Jericho by New Hyde Park Rd. From her house, the train is a five-minute walk (Garden City begins directly on the other side of the train station). I like the area but she wants to get away from her parents. Ha. We want close, but not too close!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I wish more Long Islanders thought like you then maybe we wouldn't have so many areas turning into slums because minorities are moving in. My suggestions for central and western Nassau are Valley Stream, Baldwin and Hicksville. Hope to see more future postings from you.
Thanks.

Why are immigrants feared on Long Island? Is it because they are of the shorter, darker, less-educated variety? No one immigrates to a new country to cause problems. These people are here in pursuit of a better life and they will work very hard for it.

So when I read about this, "the minorities are moving in, we have to move out" mentality, I wonder what dynamic is exactly at play here. How much of it is fear and how much of it is truly legit?

Because I can tell you in my entire life living in an immigrant community, I've only had one or two instances where I witnessed an immigrant doing something unruly. Funny, now I live in Bayside, and white kids **** on cars every night, smash bottles, start fights in the streets, scream at 4 am, have sex in an alley (I've seen it twice!) and general act like scum of the Earth.

The only thing I witnessed in Elmhurst was two drunk Mexicans one night kicking mirrors off of cars. Another time an old Asian man was robbed by two Hispanic men. That's about it. You can just sum that up to drugs and idiots and acts done on behalf of people who probably don't even live in the neighborhood.

So, it's weird to hear people complain about the immigrants in Long Island. These people want to work and get ahead. But I don't know. I don't live on Long Island so I'm in no position to speak on that. Maybe if I lived in Hempstead, I'd feel differently.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,724,855 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Why are immigrants feared on Long Island? Is it because they are of the shorter, darker, less-educated variety? No one immigrates to a new country to cause problems. These people are here in pursuit of a better life and they will work very hard for it.

So when I read about this, "the minorities are moving in, we have to move out" mentality, I wonder what dynamic is exactly at play here. How much of it is fear and how much of it is truly legit?

Because I can tell you in my entire life living in an immigrant community, I've only had one or two instances where I witnessed an immigrant doing something unruly. Funny, now I live in Bayside, and white kids **** on cars every night, smash bottles, start fights in the streets, scream at 4 am, have sex in an alley (I've seen it twice!) and general act like scum of the Earth.

The only thing I witnessed in Elmhurst was two drunk Mexicans one night kicking mirrors off of cars. Another time an old Asian man was robbed by two Hispanic men. That's about it. You can just sum that up to drugs and idiots and acts done on behalf of people who probably don't even live in the neighborhood.

So, it's weird to hear people complain about the immigrants in Long Island. These people want to work and get ahead. But I don't know. I don't live on Long Island so I'm in no position to speak on that. Maybe if I lived in Hempstead, I'd feel differently.
Because 50 years ago, the worst thing a wave of immigrants brought was stealth, yet prevalent mobs - (La Cosa Nostra, Jewish mafia, Russian mafia etc).

2010 it's 'in-your-face' - "we taking over" MS-13 & La Raza radicals and much larger criminal networks.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...hood-near.html

Old 11-21-2010, 12:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,806,370 times
Stay in Queens if you can convince your wife.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 PM

156 posts, read 447,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

I don't think Lynbrook has much diversity. I have heard some people complaining about West Hempstead in regard to the school district. My vote would also be Valley Stream. I have noticed a number of biracial families moving in there of late, and the area seems more open minded then a lot of others on LI.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,680,907 times
Quote:
T

Im so tired of people making excuses for minorites robbing, stealing, raping,murdering or just causing mishief. You want to live in a "diverse" community..go right ahead...I still like my white ice cream.Keep your "diversity" in your own community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island