Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM

224 posts, read 672,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Because 50 years ago, the worst thing a wave of immigrants brought was stealth, yet prevalent mobs - (La Cosa Nostra, Jewish mafia, Russian mafia etc).

2010 it's 'in-your-face' - "we taking over" MS-13 & La Raza radicals and much larger criminal networks.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...hood-near.html
Has anyone here ever crossed paths with an MS-13 gang member? Seriously. Has anyone here even walked past someone on the street who resembled a gang member? I mean, how do you even know what a gang member looks like?

As for the Bangin' in the Sixth Borough video, I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm capable of being fearful of much on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Im so tired of people making excuses for minorites robbing, stealing, raping,murdering or just causing mishief. You want to live in a "diverse" community..go right ahead...I still like my white ice cream.Keep your "diversity" in your own community
Hannity, is that you?

The REALITY is trash is trash, and class is class, REGARDLESS of race or ethnicity.

Mastic Beach and Shirley are "white neighborhoods" and I'm sure you're aware of their reputations. Hell, a high school in Mastic Beach wants a rehab clinic in the school because 16-year-old kids are on heroin!

Smithtown? Isn't that a well-to-do, white neighborhood? I'm sure you're aware of their problems. More kids on heroin. Teachers doing cocaine.

You can't generalize, man. Every person is different.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM

7,870 posts, read 9,065,330 times
If you are ok with a coop, I'd second Glen Oaks. Diverse, easy access to Manhattan via commuter bus or bus to subway, looks suburban, and cheaper property taxes compared to LI. Also just a few minutes away from the in laws for frequent vists

Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
If you are ok with a coop, I'd second Glen Oaks. Diverse, easy access to Manhattan via commuter bus or bus to subway, looks suburban, and cheaper property taxes compared to LI. Also just a few minutes away from the in laws for frequent vists
Uncle, is that you?

Are there any cases of people who live just over the Queens border paying Queens taxes but somehow being able to send their kids to LI schools? Someone mentioned that to me once. Don't know if I believe it.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM

7,870 posts, read 9,065,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
Uncle, is that you?

Are there any cases of people who live just over the Queens border paying Queens taxes but somehow being able to send their kids to LI schools? Someone mentioned that to me once. Don't know if I believe it.
You would have to pay the tuition. Most LI school districts average between 15 to 20K per year per student for public schools. Of course you could send them to private or Catholic schools on Long Island for less money.

Floral Park Queens schools rank very high. If you are ok with the diversity, why go to LI and get killed with property taxes?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid
Rather than just believe the generalizations and stereotypes, I'm more interested in reality.
I'm confused. First you write this ^^^
Then this vvv

Quote:
Mastic Beach and Shirley are "white neighborhoods" and I'm sure you're aware of their reputations. Hell, a high school in Mastic Beach wants a rehab clinic in the school because 16-year-old kids are on heroin!

Smithtown? Isn't that a well-to-do, white neighborhood? I'm sure you're aware of their problems. More kids on heroin. Teachers doing cocaine.
You are very unfamiliar with Nassau yet you know Suffolk like the back of your hand

Strange.

Nassau's not very diverse as many have noted. I'm not sure why you;'re looking here if diversity is your main interest. I suggested a few towns a few posts back. Plenty of housing there around 250k in so-so neighborhoods. I'll retract Lynbrook and throw in Baldwin & Valley stream too. I thought Lynbrook was more diverse, another poster pointed out that it's not so.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-21-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,555,652 times
Quote:
There are some properties in the Little Neck neighborhood of the New York City Borough of Queens where a small part of their backyards are in one of the several villages and hamlets on the westside of the Great Neck peninsula and who pay a small property tax to the Great Neck Union Free School District and who may be able to send their children to schools within the Great Neck Union Free School District.

If you were not aware, Nassau County was part of Queens County until January 1, 1899, when the eastern two-thirds of Queens County -- the Town of North Hempstead, the Town of Hempstead and the Town of Oyster Bay -- the part of Queens County that had not become part of New York City on January 1, 1898, seceded and formed Nassau County.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm confused. First you write this ^^^
Then this vvv

You are very unfamiliar with Nassau yet you know Suffolk like the back of your hand

Strange.

Nassau's not very diverse as many have noted. I'm not sure why you;'re looking here if diversity is your main interest. I suggested a few towns a few posts back. Plenty of housing there around 250k in so-so neighborhoods. I'll retract Lynbrook and throw in Baldwin & Valley stream too. I thought Lynbrook was more diverse, another poster pointed out that it's not so.
I get Newsday delivered and see negative story after negative story about Mastic Beach and Shirley. My comment was also to make a point, not to make a judgment on those areas. I don't know those areas personally, just what I have read. The point was stuff happens regardless of whether people are white or black.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you. And while the diversity is important to me, tolerance of diversity is really what I care about.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are some properties in the Little Neck neighborhood of the New York City Borough of Queens where a small part of their backyards are in one of the several villages and hamlets on the westside of the Great Neck peninsula and who pay a small property tax to the Great Neck Union Free School District and who may be able to send their children to schools within the Great Neck Union Free School District.

If you were not aware, Nassau County was part of Queens County until January 1, 1899, when the eastern two-thirds of Queens County -- the Town of North Hempstead, the Town of Hempstead and the Town of Oyster Bay -- the part of Queens County that had not become part of New York City on January 1, 1898, seceded and formed Nassau County.
Walter, you are a tremendous source of information. I haven't been on these boards long enough to know the extent of your reputation, but it's people like you who make the pursuit of information on this board worthwhile. Thank you.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,739 times
Quote:
Because 50 years ago, the worst thing a wave of immigrants brought was stealth, yet prevalent mobs - (La Cosa Nostra, Jewish mafia, Russian mafia etc).

2010 it's 'in-your-face' - "we taking over" MS-13 & La Raza radicals and much larger criminal networks.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...hood-near.html

If you read the history of the gangs and poverty of the immigrants of the turn of the century you will see that it was far worse and digusting than those of today. The Irish, Italian and Jewish gangs were brutal and did some hideous things. Today we can videotape it back then we only have written accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island