Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,804,888 times

Advertisements

I'll reiterated my previous statement stay in Queens. What you have in Queens you wont find on L.I., on Queens you expect diversity on L.I. it seems to be looked down on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,748,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Back then, and until the mechanization of agriculture that followed WWI and dislocated a lot of agricultural workers, the U.S. needed workers.

However most workers and new peoples stayed in the cities. They created and maintain many of the problems we have in today's American cities. Today's descendants like to romanticize their ancestor's lives about coming to America but it was no different and in fact at times worse than today's immigrants.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,185,350 times
Well I only read 1st two pages. First thing I would like to say from reading what you are looking for within the 250,000 price range. Likely a co-op or condo is all you will find unless you want a house that needs work.

East Meadow is a good choice not sure about the co-op , condo market and what is there. North Merrick might also be a good option for you and there are a load of houses on the market in that area so you might get lucky there.

Also very important to keep in mind. You mentioned travel time to NYC? East Meadow does not have a LIRR station,closed would likely be Merrick..which would be a drive to get to. north Merrick would bring you closer at least to Sunrise Hwy. where LIRR station is in Merrick.

I grew up in Flushing, there are very nice co-op garden apts there that run 150,000 for 1 BR, 1 Bath. Occasionally a 2 BR will come up for sale, but rarely and they go fast, practically over-night even with the economy the way it is. Keep in mind do not forget the maintenance fees as they can be very high. My mother still lives in same apt. there since 1965. She refuses to leave and still loves it there. It is in what they were calling 2-zone,think it referred to the fact that you have to take bus to subway in Forest Hills to get to the city.

I do know what you mean about diverse. Lived in So. Fla. for 7 yrs. Our neighbors were from all over. Mostly Argentina,Venezuala. Had problem only with language barrier but we made great friends and everyone was so wonderful to be around and all loved each other and lived in harmony and peace, which is always hard when people of different backrounds live around each other. Many people are just unaccepting unfortunately.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,557,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
iIt is in what they were calling 2-zone,think it referred to the fact that you have to take bus to subway ...
That would be a two fare zone, and did refer to the fact that, at that time, one had to pay two fares (bus and subway going and subway and bus coming back).

Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,150,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
You would have to pay the tuition. Most LI school districts average between 15 to 20K per year per student for public schools. Of course you could send them to private or Catholic schools on Long Island for less money.

Floral Park Queens schools rank very high. If you are ok with the diversity, why go to LI and get killed with property taxes?
Correct!! And District 26 is THE Best Public School District in NYC. They have Magnet Programs and Honors Programs.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 AM

224 posts, read 672,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Huh?
It was an oddball joke meant as a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island