Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM

213 posts, read 700,470 times

Advertisements

Malverne School District Voters Approve Both Bond Propositions - Malverne-West Hempstead, NY Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times
Cool The busing issue from the late 60's

I read with amazement the postings surrounding these events. Malverne was and is a beautiful place to live. My parents bought there house on Rolling Street and we moved in on November 1, 1963. We were part of only a handful of Italian Americans living in Malverne at the time and were only about a city block from Lakeview Avenue. I attended Davison Avenue until the forced busing issue and Adam Clayton Powell's spitting at the mothers, fathers and teachers of all colors that were AGAINST the decision by the NYS BOE to close Woodfield Road School in Lakeview; bus students from Davison Ave. to Linden Place and then bus from Linden Place to North VS. Because of where our house was I would have to walk from Lexington Avenue to Linden Place across Hempstead Tpke; the RailRoad tracks and then down St. Thomas Place. My parents were beyond outraged. It had nothing to do with color until Newsday started saying it was about color along with the local NBC news station. On TV my mother Dorothy Aversano slapped Roseanne Scarmedella across the face for using the N word. By the time 4th grade came I was shipped off to a private school in Oceanside. Friendships forged over 5 years were blown to hell. Harold and Sinta Walker were TAP's attorneys. We lost the legal battle (you cant fight city hall you can only poop on the steps and run...) and lives were shattered. But all of this. All of that doesn't take away the fact that without the Jewish community of Malverne my fathers electrical contracting business would have died on the vine. My dad, Anthony J Aversano was one of the founding fathers of the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Malverne survives today because it is made up of real families with real kindness and compassion.
Wish I could find a picture of Harold and Sinta to post on my facebook page for Black History Month. And I wish I could get back the friends I lost all those years ago to prejudices.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM

48 posts, read 76,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutti Fruitti View Post
I read with amazement the postings surrounding these events. Malverne was and is a beautiful place to live. My parents bought there house on Rolling Street and we moved in on November 1, 1963. We were part of only a handful of Italian Americans living in Malverne at the time and were only about a city block from Lakeview Avenue. I attended Davison Avenue until the forced busing issue and Adam Clayton Powell's spitting at the mothers, fathers and teachers of all colors that were AGAINST the decision by the NYS BOE to close Woodfield Road School in Lakeview; bus students from Davison Ave. to Linden Place and then bus from Linden Place to North VS. Because of where our house was I would have to walk from Lexington Avenue to Linden Place across Hempstead Tpke; the RailRoad tracks and then down St. Thomas Place. My parents were beyond outraged. It had nothing to do with color until Newsday started saying it was about color along with the local NBC news station. On TV my mother Dorothy Aversano slapped Roseanne Scarmedella across the face for using the N word. By the time 4th grade came I was shipped off to a private school in Oceanside. Friendships forged over 5 years were blown to hell. Harold and Sinta Walker were TAP's attorneys. We lost the legal battle (you cant fight city hall you can only poop on the steps and run...) and lives were shattered. But all of this. All of that doesn't take away the fact that without the Jewish community of Malverne my fathers electrical contracting business would have died on the vine. My dad, Anthony J Aversano was one of the founding fathers of the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Malverne survives today because it is made up of real families with real kindness and compassion.
Wish I could find a picture of Harold and Sinta to post on my facebook page for Black History Month. And I wish I could get back the friends I lost all those years ago to prejudices.
The state really did a number on the Malverne/Lakeview communities. Everyone seems to think the district was segregated when in fact everyone went to the same middle school and high school. The state forced the elementaries to integrate which eliminated the neighborhood school for Lakeview and they were rightfully resentful of that. Many years later I heard one of the politicians responsible for that decision was heard saying "we picked the wrong district, Malverne was doing fine". 50 years later there is still resentment between the communities and we are still trying to get to a good place with one another.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,384 times
Speaking as a potential resident, would you move to Malverne knowing in a few years your kids would attend the public schools there?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,184,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazawrotny View Post
Speaking as a potential resident, would you move to Malverne knowing in a few years your kids would attend the public schools there?
Not for Malverne SD 12. I would only consider Malverne if the house was in Valley Stream SD 13.

The property taxes, between the County, SD, and the Village, are outrageous in Malverne!! If you want to pay outrageous property taxes, at least get a very good school district for it ... try looking in Lynbrook (near Malverne) with houses zone for Lynbrook SD 20. Otherwise I wouldn't even recommend Lynbrook due to the taxes, but am only doing it since you seem willing to pay high property taxes in Malverne. Get a good SD as part of it.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,492,465 times
What's the problem? Minorities and the working class don't deserve nice school buildings too? Not their fault the tax base in those communities isn't as high as Jericho.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM

848 posts, read 1,433,592 times
Regardless of the school district, Malverne is one of the nicest towns on the south shore. Their downtown area is the kind of place that I would love within walking distance of my home. It has a little of everything and a small town feel (even a working farm). Also, the highway is right there, as well as their own railroad station. So if you're not looking at school district, Malverne is a real nice place to live. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would say different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island