Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,415,202 times

Advertisements

My wife and I now live in Chicago and want to move back to LI maybe the Huntington area. I grew up in Wantagh, and don't know much about Hunt. other than the village is quaint and the bay has fishing. I read it has some affordable homes (thanks to the economy) and some affluent areas. We need to keep our home in Chicago due to business so we're only looking at some houses on the lower end of prices to afford both. Specificaly, a few houses on Delamere St. and 1 now on Depew st. are under $300K, and in Harborfields or Elwood HS we read are great. Also, nearby we just missed a foreclosure on Crown ave. in Harborfields. So, does anyone have any info. on Crown, Depew, and on this Little Plains end of town and Delamere? Quiet and safe? Need to know some info. before we visit the area. Any steering anyone can provide will be appreciated.---thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM

9,916 posts, read 23,022,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
My wife and I now live in Chicago and want to move back to LI maybe the Huntington area. I grew up in Wantagh, and don't know much about Hunt. other than the village is quaint and the bay has fishing. I read it has some affordable homes (thanks to the economy) and some affluent areas. We need to keep our home in Chicago due to business so we're only looking at some houses on the lower end of prices to afford both. Specificaly, a few houses on Delamere St. and 1 now on Depew st. are under $300K, and in Harborfields or Elwood HS we read are great. Also, nearby we just missed a foreclosure on Crown ave. in Harborfields. So, does anyone have any info. on Crown, Depew, and on this Little Plains end of town and Delamere? Quiet and safe? Need to know some info. before we visit the area. Any steering anyone can provide will be appreciated.---thanks
I don't know how close you want to be to the "village" of Huntington. The areas you're looking at are not that close to downtown Huntington - of course that's relative Between 3-5 miles and 15++ min by car, depending on traffic...

Little Plains Rd is a busy (double yellow) road; there are currently three houses for sale. The lowest priced one has been on the market for quite some time, both for rent and for sale with nothing happening. It had been a rental for several years and is currently vacant. Another was purchased by an investor and redone but maybe more than you'd want to pay. There's also a Little Plains Ct but price is higher... asking $399K; move-in condition, with pool, dead-end street.

The other streets are in an area where not all homes are that well maintained, but maybe that doesn't bother you; plenty of buyers don't mind, if the price is right.

FYI, with regard to foreclosures around here, many need major work if the price is low.

Anything else you'd like to know? Just ask!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,555,652 times
It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington (whose "downtown" commercial district is colloquially referred to as Huntington Village);

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of 2 villages (municipal corporations) and 6 other hamlets (unincorporated areas) within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 11 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" and a "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address.

City-Data Forum Message

Cancel Changes

Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

gag, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 PM

26 posts, read 91,267 times
I am pretty sure that those homes on Delemare St. are much closer to Huntington Station than Huntington Village. I thought that the price seemed too good to be true, so my husband and I took a drive past the block. Although Delemare St has a few new construction homes, the surrounding area is a little sketchy. Take a drive by for yourself. If you don;t mind the surrounding area then the oppy to move into a brand new house at such a low price may be a good move for you...Just wasn't my cup of tea. Huntington is so large and very diverse....it may be good idea to drive around to see which areas you like best and then try to find a home based on location. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBound99 View Post
I am pretty sure that those homes on Delemare St. are much closer to Huntington Station than Huntington Village.
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Delamere Street is in Elwood ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address) and Depew Street, Crown Avenue and Little Plains Road are in Greenlawn ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks to all for the replies so far. In our internet search, we are screening by high school districts and keeping prospects only in Harborfields and Elwood SD. Any thoughts? Also, we'll stay away from the main road Little Plains, but the other St. were where Park and Broadway intersect more south. It appeared a distance from the busy Hunt. Station area, but maybe not when you drive it. Pricing is an issue because we can't sell our home right now in Chicago. Maybe we're dreaming, but worth a try to get into a decent SD during the current market low.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM

405 posts, read 1,765,060 times
Where do you live in Chicago? That would help me get a sense of what you're willing to tolerate here

I'm a Chicagoan who relocated to LI about 2 years ago. We rented in Harborfields for a year but ended up buying in Northport.

You'll want to take a drive by Delamere. There's a reason that house is in the 300s. That area borders on some (by this area's standards, at least) sketchy stuff. Of course, I lived at Jackson and Ashland in the mid 90s, and by those standards, Delamere is the Gold Coast... but you know. It's all relative. I would not personally buy near Little Plains and Broadway, no matter what the price. For resale value alone, it's probably not a good decision. I also think it's a mistake to limit yourself to Harborfields and Elwood, but that topic has already been hotly debated here Do some searches on this board and you'll find a wealth of information.

Good luck! I work from home but my business is based out of Chicago, so I still travel there frequently. The direct from ISP to MDW is so easy.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
... we are screening by high school districts and keeping prospects only in Harborfields ...
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Harborfields Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Huntington Station and the Hamlet of Huntington.

A map of the Harborfields Central School District:

Quote:
... and Elwood SD.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Elwood Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood.

A map of the Elwood Union Free School District:

Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks Walter and proqfreq. In Chicago 1990's, I also lived in the "frontier" near west, ukranian village and bucktown so I know what you mean it's all relative. Mow that I'm married, we're in the Chicago south burbs near Orland Pk in Oak Forest. So no real diversity to speak of in our immediate area, but our business is in Homewood Flossmoor with a lot of diversity. Personally, I think diversity is overrated so if not much we're OK. I read Northport is real nice but probably over $400k now, so how about East Northport for $300's. Also, saw a few homes out in 3 villages sd in Port Jeff, Setuaket--not bad. I was just restricting those 2 schools in Huntington area. We also saw a home in Dix Hills just came up in HHH SD. Any thought s you have are appreciated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island