Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,951,314 times

Advertisements

my life is now complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,726,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
my life is now complete.
It may seem like the post is a little TMI. But you probably didn't see the original thread this came from (or lots of other threads referring to Hunt as a village, even comparing it to other villages). WG was getting attacked from both sides. And if it were just casual talk between people that's one thing..but when it's someone looking to move to the area or looking for more info on the Huntingtons, WG/and the original post in this thread are actually serving their interests.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 PM

325 posts, read 734,999 times
This entire discussion is a bit silly, but I'll try to address your points. I have little faith it will go anywhere. Please bear in mind that (as mentioned in the deleted posts) I'm a professional researcher and information architect and have been working with GIS information systems (including census maps and data) for over a year now (it's actually what led me to CD). This stuff is very familiar to me. I also hold 2 graduate degrees from Columbia, grew up in Cold Spring Harbor, and have been raising a family in Huntington for more than 30 years. I'm very active in the community and sit on several local boards. Please don't suggest I am ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
This discussion was deleted (LESSON Learned=keep a backup copy of your posts) from another thread involving residents residing in hamlets in the Town of Huntington referring to "Huntington" as where they live. The OP of the thread was referring to Huntington Village as an Incorporated Village. I thought I'd repost this to help clear any confusion on the issue. Walter G. put up maps and explained the "Huntingtons (Town of, Hamlet) that are real tangible entities/places (plz repost this WG):
I'm sorry that you find Huntington so confusing. It seems obvious that you are not a resident, which is probably why. Nobody here is confused, and people move to our town all the time and are able to pick up on how things work. It's really not that complicated.

I don't believe anyone was at any point confused about Huntington Village being an incorporated village. It's the historic name of a place that dates back about 200 years (prior to that it was known as the "Town Spot"). It is a very real place.

Quote:
I think the biggest issues here are:
1. Most LI'ers don't really know where they live. We've made it the norm to go by zip code (and in this case the Town of Huntington ) when stating where we live. It's a mistake and it needs to be corrected. If someone living in Massapequa Park said they lived in "Oyster Bay", wouldn't you find that to be absurd ? (they're on opposite shores of the island). It's as silly as someone from West Hills saying they live in Huntington.
Sorry, this argument is flawed. The hamlets of West Hills and Huntington are adjacent and share a zip code and the name "Huntington." My address says I live in Huntington. Please explain to me how my address (which is used by GIS systems) is less valid than the census designation. The address at least has a real world application. There is no governing body for either.

Quote:
And the Huntington Village term that was developed is equally as confusing to someone that doesn't understand that it's really just a "colloquial" village as was mentioned by WG. What if some poor schlep moves there thinking he's really in a village?
You'd have to be incredibly dense to think this. Anyone looking in the area is going to pick up on what "village" means. Do you really think someone is going to spend at least 500k on a home and then be surprised that it doesn't have a village police department or mayor? We attract some pretty sophisticated and well educated residents. Do you think people that move to Greenwich Village think they are in a municipal village?

Quote:
2. Village vs Hamlet vs Town - There is no such thing as the Village of Huntington. Maybe the difference btwn village vs hamlet didn't matter decades ago when everyone in the Town of Huntington adopted the "Town" name as their general area. It all boils down to the Sovereignty a village offers vs a hamlet (which is basically just a community at the whim of the Town that hamlet is located in).

As you know, a village has the authority to provide its own services. A village is also free from a lot of the crap the County/respective Town is trying to push on it (Such as Section 8, slumlords, red light cams$, wasteful spending etc etc...).
Yes, thank you. I still don't see anyone arguing that a "Village of Huntington" exists. That doesn't mean that an area called Huntington Village can't exist. Is this really that confusing? Huntington Village, CSH Village, and Northport Village are all surrounded by several incorporated villages. We locals know the difference. Do you worry that people who live in Cold Spring Harbor are confused and think they live in a body of water? Worried that some poor schlep is going to think he needs a houseboat? Words can have multiple meanings.

Quote:
Take a look at the Mastic Beach situation to see how important it's becoming. Maybe 20 years ago, when deficits were under control, Unions/Pensions less exploitative and the County/Town less draconian, it really didn't matter whether you were in a village or hamlet. But considering the financial mess we are in (mainly due to excessive spending/abuse of apathetic taxpayers), it is becoming increasingly more beneficial to live in a village rather than hamlet. I doubt most people on or outside of LI know that Huntington Village is not a village at all
Not sure what this has to do with anything. Nobody has been arguing that Huntington Village is a municipal village. I don't know anyone that thinks this.

Quote:
Another thing, comparing the colloquial "Huntington Village" to "Nu Yawk" City communities of Queens Village/Greenwich Village (argument) doesn't apply to Nassau/Suffolk County (as noted above).
How exactly? Manhattan and Brooklyn neighborhoods don't technically exist geographically paper, the same way Huntington Village doesn't technically "exist." That doesn't mean someone can't say they live in Chelsea and interchangeably Manhattan. Similarity, one can say they live in Huntington, and interchangeably, anywhere in the township. (Township is a completely acceptable word to use. Sorry Walter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It may seem like the post is a little TMI. But you probably didn't see the original thread this came from (or lots of other threads referring to Hunt as a village, even comparing it to other villages). WG was getting attacked from both sides. And if it were just casual talk between people that's one thing..but when it's someone looking to move to the area or looking for more info on the Huntingtons, WG/and the original post in this thread are actually serving their interests.
Moderator cut: discussing other members is not allowed

Last edited by Keeper; 11-26-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post

I don't believe anyone was at any point confused about Huntington Village being an incorporated village. It's the historic name of a place that dates back about 200 years (prior to that it was known as the "Town Spot"). It is a very real place.
I get your point and just to be clear, I'm not trying to offend you or anything. But it's really just your "downtown" area. I will stand by the statement that it can be confusing to people that are not familiar with the slang term HV (like the locals who know it's not an actual village in Suffolk County, NY). I'm sure you can agree on that. There are posts where people call HV "V of H"..I remember a post not too long ago the poster comparing it to other well known villages RVC & GC..And specifically stating he/she desired to live in a village. I know this can have dual-meanings, that is definitely valid.

Quote:
Sorry, this argument is flawed. The hamlets of West Hills and Huntington are adjacent and share a zip code and the name "Huntington." My address says I live in Huntington. Please explain to me how my address (which is used by GIS systems) is less valid than the census designation. The address at least has a real world application. There is no governing body for either.
I definitely don't want to have a geography battle, but
When you <look up your address here> your CDP is West Hills (from what I gathered in previous posts).

Suppose West Hills were to incorporate and become "the Incorporated Village of West Hills", would you still consider yourself in Huntington? and vice versa (Hunt becoming Village of Huntington).. That is a very real possibility and answers your question right there (ZIP Codes mean squat).
>> The USPS uses non-conforming postal zones -- now referred to as ZIP Codes -- and this leads to severe geographic confusions about where a particular place may be located in the cities, villages and hamlets of Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

I could probably put Matzohpizza Perk, 11762 (I've seen people butcher it worse than that), and mail would still be delivered to my address. Does that mean I live in Matzohpizza perk?? or Better yet, does that mean I live in the Village of Massapequa Park? Doesn't sound very valid to me.

Quote:
You'd have to be incredibly dense to think this. Anyone looking in the area is going to pick up on what "village" means. Do you really think someone is going to spend at least 500k on a home and then be surprised that it doesn't have a village police department or mayor? We attract some pretty sophisticated and well educated residents. Do you think people that move to Greenwich Village think they are in a municipal village?
Bad realtor + uninformed 1st time buyer = it's def not out of the question.

as for Greenwich Village --Obviously not when they know they are governed under NY City jurisdiction. And there is no possible way "they" could incorporate either (however West Hills or the hamlet of Huntington can Incorporate).

Quote:
How exactly? Manhattan and Brooklyn neighborhoods don't technically exist geographically paper, the same way Huntington Village doesn't technically "exist." That doesn't mean someone can't say they live in Chelsea and interchangeably Manhattan. Similarity, one can say they live in Huntington, and interchangeably, anywhere in the township. (Township is a completely acceptable word to use. Sorry Walter.)
See here it's acceptable to do this, but not correct.

Quote:
My perspective is that of a lifelong resident and someone who is very active in the community. Geography lessons and technical language are better served after someone is acclimated to the area. To be honest, I'm not sure Walter is the best source of this information, as he sometimes misses the nuance involved in interpreting it and understanding its origins and practicality. I'm skeptical of his qualifications. I've asked if he is a geopspatial professional or just a hobbyist, and have yet to receive a response. The maps he produces come from the US Census FactFinder website (a public resource likely to be used by a hobbyist), and are known to produce limited and often inaccurate details.
Most people (including myself) on LI still refer to places by their ZIP or their "customary" name. But the difference now is I know that I'm technically wrong when I do this. WG was/is technically correct and I don't think he was "trolling" as many posters suggested.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-24-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 04:50 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,394,935 times
How about all those who speak of "Huntington Station" when they are thinking of the Walt Whitman Mall area and even further south of that? The Walt Whitman Mall area is considered to be "South Huntington". Wikipedia, in its article on Huntington Station, will say that Walt Whitman was born in Huntington Station, when his house (the Walt Whitman House across from the Walt Whitman Mal) is in South Huntington. I define "Huntington Station" as starting at the southern end of downtown Huntington (the colloquially-called "Huntington Village")-- which is either Fairview St. or somewhere between Fairview St. & the Big H Shopping Center --and then going south down to Jericho Turnpike. Once you cross south of Jericho Turnpike, that is called "South Huntington" (not "Huntington Station"). The whole character, content and layout of Huntington Station is very urban-like, dense in commercial and residential activity, wholly walkable like a city, and has primarily an inner city-like lower-income population . . . not having a suburban feel at all) whereas South Huntington (south of Jericho Turnpike) is your typical suburban strip & residential environment and built for car-dependent living. You can even feel the difference between Huntington Station and South Huntington . . . so how would anyone "in the know" get them confused with one another or think that Huntington Station is synonomous with South Huntington and vice versa?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,596,365 times
While the Walt Whitman Mall is in South Huntington ("Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address), the Walt Whitman house is in West Hills ("Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address).

Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM

939 posts, read 2,305,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
This entire discussion is a bit silly, but I'll try to address your points. I have little faith it will go anywhere. Please bear in mind that (as mentioned in the deleted posts) I'm a professional researcher and information architect and have been working with GIS information systems (including census maps and data) for over a year now (it's actually what led me to CD). This stuff is very familiar to me. I also hold 2 graduate degrees from Columbia, grew up in Cold Spring Harbor, and have been raising a family in Huntington for more than 30 years. I'm very active in the community and sit on several local boards. Please don't suggest I am ignorant.

I'm sorry that you find Huntington so confusing. It seems obvious that you are not a resident, which is probably why. Nobody here is confused, and people move to our town all the time and are able to pick up on how things work. It's really not that complicated.

Yes, thank you. I still don't see anyone arguing that a "Village of Huntington" exists. That doesn't mean that an area called Huntington Village can't exist. Is this really that confusing? Huntington Village, CSH Village, and Northport Village are all surrounded by several incorporated villages. We locals know the difference. Do you worry that people who live in Cold Spring Harbor are confused and think they live in a body of water? Worried that some poor schlep is going to think he needs a houseboat? Words can have multiple meanings.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Nobody has been arguing that Huntington Village is a municipal village. I don't know anyone that thinks this.

Moderator cut: discussing other members is not allowed .
now this post is a breath of fresh air ...

Last edited by Keeper; 11-26-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 PM

764 posts, read 1,548,378 times
Default hmm

The town of huntington itself calls ny avenue and main street a village.

IF the Town itself calls it a village then I can too.

http://town.huntington.ny.us/newsdetails.cfm?ID=1983

"Preparations Continue for Holiday Parade and Festival

Article Date: 11/19/10

Huntington, NY – Preparations for the Nov. 27 Holiday Parade and Festival have moved into full swing, with more than 25 fire departments, community groups and private companies signing on so far to help usher the holiday season into Huntington Village.

Sponsored by the Town of Huntington, the Huntington Village and Huntington Station Business Improvement Districts, the Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce, the Huntington and Huntington Manor Fire Departments and the Huntington Chiefs' Council, the parade down New York Avenue and along Main Street will bring Santa Claus to the reviewing stand at Wall Street. There, he will join the Town Board in lighting the Town's Holiday Tree.

[font=Arial]

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Keeper; 11-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: post a snippet

Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM

22,635 posts, read 36,603,028 times
h-tonian, I agree with many of your points, but I have to tell you that when I met my DH (who grew up in the VILLAGE OF GARDEN CITY - a REAL Village!!!!) he found it hilarious when I would day I was going "to the village" with friends. He was like - do you live in a village or not? So this discussion is kind of amusing because thinking back I do see where that little "colloquial" reference COULD be confusing.

SO you say that no one could possibly be confused, but my DH isn't really all that dumb, and while he wasn't confused, he didn't really "get" the reference, especially coming from what his frame of reference of what a "village" is. (Of course in GC when you say you are going to the village you say you are "going to 7th St" - not sure if that's less confusing to non-locals!).

So I think the point is that CD exists as a forum to help people who might be relocating and people should know exactly what and where they are getting into when they move here, geographically speaking. On Long Island WG is right about one thing "you aren't necessarily where you think you are". I don't think it needs to be inserted into every thread, however

Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
h-tonian, I agree with many of your points, but I have to tell you that when I met my DH (who grew up in the VILLAGE OF GARDEN CITY - a REAL Village!!!!) he found it hilarious when I would day I was going "to the village" with friends. He was like - do you live in a village or not? So this discussion is kind of amusing because thinking back I do see where that little "colloquial" reference COULD be confusing.

SO you say that no one could possibly be confused, but my DH isn't really all that dumb, and while he wasn't confused, he didn't really "get" the reference, especially coming from what his frame of reference of what a "village" is. (Of course in GC when you say you are going to the village you say you are "going to 7th St" - not sure if that's less confusing to non-locals!).

So I think the point is that CD exists as a forum to help people who might be relocating and people should know exactly what and where they are getting into when they move here, geographically speaking. On Long Island WG is right about one thing "you aren't necessarily where you think you are". I don't think it needs to be inserted into every thread, however
Yeah, this is how it gets confusing. I know this is beating a dead horse, but even people living in hamlets/villages in the Town of Huntington (along with most LI'ers) don't really get the geography of LI. Most just go along with the status quo. They should probably teach this stuff in high school -- But that would border on "politics" or "Understanding how Government works" etc.. similar to understanding balance sheets which isn't taught either. But kids learn how to glue stuff together and other crap like that.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post5185763

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-25-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island