Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I seem to recall that I once knew the answer to that question, but that answer does not come quickly to mind at the moment.

But, I believe that what occurred on the Great Neck peninsula, with it's 9 villages, and overall in the Town of North Hempstead, with its 30 villages, making it the only one of the 13 towns on Long Island with the majority of the area/population within villages and thus, to some degree, outside of the Town of North Hempstead's control, may have been the reason that led to the Town of Scarsdale becoming a coterminous town-village to prevent such a thing from occurring within its town.

A coterminous town-village is where the town and the village have the same name and have the same exact border and the town supervisor/town board and the village mayor/board of trustees are the same.

Three of the 5 coterminous town-villages are in Westchester County (Harrison, Mount Kisco and Scarsdale), one is in Albany County (Green Island) and one is in Monroe County (East Rochester).
Those towns in Westchester have less political nonsense and it has allowed less unslightly retail and housing overdevelopment. I bet there are no ugly Levitt homes in those towns or Petco and other chains running up and down their streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
actually I am a homeowner, in a real incorporated village.
I also grew up in a real incorporated village,
the village of Huntington Bay.
Nothing has changed, Huntington town is still not a village, no matter what you call it. and that is the point of the OP whether you stated it was a municipal village or not. you are arguing the point that we can still call it a village because the name of the downtown area is "Huntington Village"
yes...you can call it whatever you want to as do I
Walter is just stating the facts.
Huntington Village is not a village.
that said
call it what you want.

I never said that you claimed it to be a municipal village, I merely stated that it wasn't.... I read your posts carefully, perhaps you should spend more time reading mine.

yes you could name a dog "cat" then when some guy on a forum say's that the dog is a "dog" named "cat" but is actually a "dog" you can call him a troll write a five hundred word essay on a public forum about how it's actually ok to call a dog "cat" and that guy should keep his unwarranted fact checking to himself because in your fragile little bubble of a world you are correct and hearing the actual fact of the matter makes you feel insecure and unhappy.
whatever you say.
I was as much a Huntington resident as you
I had as much pride in my town...er...hamlet as you.
Walter is well informed and nothing more.
Yep, minesbroken speaks the truth...

Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM

There's a lot to quote here and I noticed h-tonian was deleted so This is reply to Sean and H-tonian & 1nevets from page 3... I skimmed some of this stuff late last night, but the Turkey & Wine cocktail was overpowering and led me to the wife and warm inviting bed -- so I couldn't reply last night.

WG definitely sparked my interest as well, regarding the confusing geography of LI. As for the robotic speech, I think a lot of people start to view it almost like they do "google ads" .. you kind of just subconsciously block that part out of C-D actual content. And understanding the "context" of the thread is key, which is a good argument against the inserts of irrelevant hamlet/village info to the discussion at hand.

But if you break down the robotic speech word-for-word, you will see it makes 100% sense and is very relevant to LI. I like this stuff and I'm a nerd for it too (but far from an expert). I think this is challenging the "status quo" we have on LI. I'll break it down like this - when you're living on LI, you can refer to where you live in many ways:

"I live":

1) in the "Town of xxx" (Town can have a vague meaning as well. ~99% of people from the Town of Hempstead (largest Town in NY and the country I believe)" do not use this entity name when stating where they live. Maybe because "Hempstead" has a bad rap so they won't picky-back on it.. like most do from a well-regarded Town like Huntington or Smithtown. That said, I view "the Town" as simply a provider of services - an entity of gov't servicing the hamlets & villages within the Town boundaries. I have always had this view so maybe that's why the reference to TOhuntington is strange to me. (btw, just so we're on the same page, I think it's okay to say Township in NY as well, Town is short for Township, cut-n-dry).

2) Going by what S.D. you are in - This is fairly common to do and probably more relevant than going by ZIP(mailing address). I think as teens/young adults, we adopt this as our understanding of LI geography.

3) Going by "ZIP/Mailing addres" - this and S.D. reference seem to be the status quo on LI. They are both technically incorrect.
The DOT of NY, the census and even the USPS*(read further) go by your CDP when referring to your hamlet/village.

-Notice the green signs with white lettering the DOT puts up marking exact hamlet/village borders on main roads.

-To add to that: When the USPS opens a new post office location, the Office will have the name of the "hamlet/Village/City" that the new office is located in ..determined by the CDP or place by the Census.

-NYS also uses the Census data when determining exact hamlet borders (which can change slightly depending on Census). Additionally, when a hamlet decides to incorporate, such as Mastic Beach, the process refers to the current census to determine the new boundaries said Village will take on.

-Most businesses (eg- West Hills Animal Hospital) will also place the hamlet name in which they are located, into their official business name (notice "West Hills" animal hosp has a Huntington, NY 11743 mailing address)

4) Going by your Village, City or CDP (hamlet) name. This is 100% correct yet almost no one does this. It's really a duopoly here..your only choice is going by SD or ZIP which as stated is the status quo. So I can't see it changing anytime soon.

So like "minesbroken" stated, you can say whatever you please if it makes you happy, but that doesn't change the fact that you're technically wrong. People used the term Huntington and HV to describe their area back before the population of the Town exploded. Back then when the hamlets and villages in Town of Hunt had a few hundred people, it made more sense to do this. Now you've got nearly a quarter million people (900% increase in the last century) and each hamlet has at least 4-5k residents. It might make more sense to give your own hamlet a sense of identity. Remember, you're only as strong as your weakest wheel (hunt station). I personally would not want to be lumped into an entire town as my place of residence. And I find it a little absurd to use a hamlet name that is 5 miles away as "where you live". It makes a little more sense for someone in "Five-Towns" to do this where the hamlets/villages are still relatively small. It's an easy reference for people to grasp and everyone knows it is just a colloquial "Town".

One other thing. You missed my point on the 11762/Matzahpizza perk question (which was intended to be rhetorical but you answered it). Now if the ZIP/mailing address is so valid, then why are there 24,000+ people in 11762 yet only ~18,000 in the Village of Massapequa Park, 11762?

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-26-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM

325 posts, read 734,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
But if you break down the robotic speech word-for-word, you will see it makes 100% sense and is very relevant to LI. I like this stuff and I'm a nerd for it too (but far from an expert). I think this is challenging the "status quo" we have on LI. I'll break it down like this - when you're living on LI, you can refer to where you live in many ways:

"I live":

1) in the "Town of xxx" (Town can have a vague meaning as well. ~99% of people from the Town of Hempstead (largest Town in NY and the country I believe)" do not use this entity name when stating where they live. Maybe because "Hempstead" has a bad rap so they won't picky-back on it.. like most do from a well-regarded Town like Huntington or Smithtown. That said, I view "the Town" as simply a provider of services - an entity of gov't servicing the hamlets & villages within the Town boundaries. I have always had this view so maybe that's why the reference to TOhuntington is strange to me. (btw, just so we're on the same page, I think it's okay to say Township in NY as well, Town is short for Township, cut-n-dry).
The more I think about it the more I realize the "town" preference might be a North Shore thing - as in people referring to Huntington, Oyster Bay, or Smithtown (a place I'm not very familiar with so I'll take your word for it) as "where they live." I'm woefully ignorant about the South Shore (which is why I stay away from commenting on it), so I'm really not sure why this is the case, but I would imagine it has something to do with the various (and older) "villages" and communities found along the Sound (as mentioned in a previous post). Although, as you pointed out, I've never heard anyone say they were from North Hempstead.

For these reasons, I think it's best to let locals talk about their "towns" when potential buyers or visitors ask questions. Long Island is hardly a uniform place.

Quote:
2) Going by what S.D. you are in - This is fairly common to do and probably more relevant than going by ZIP(mailing address). I think as teens/young adults, we adopt this as our understanding of LI geography.

3) Going by "ZIP/Mailing addres" - this and S.D. reference seem to be the status quo on LI. They are both technically incorrect.
The DOT of NY, the census and even the USPS*(read further) go by your CDP when referring to your hamlet/village.

-Notice the green signs with white lettering the DOT puts up marking exact hamlet/village borders on main roads.
I'm still not clear why they are "incorrect." I think going by your SD is fine. You can even go by your library or congressional district if you like. You "live" in all those "places," but as I said in my post (which is back up), your mailing address is what provides your home with an address, GIS coordinates, and an overall identity - something that is beyond relevant in the 21st century. It defines where you live.

Quote:
-To add to that: When the USPS opens a new post office location, the Office will have the name of the "hamlet/Village/City" that the new office is located in ..determined by the CDP or place by the Census.
Well that might be true, the Halesite post office is umbrellaed under the Huntington, 11743 zip code. You can list Halesite or Huntington as your city in 11743. You can also put Lloyd Harbor, which doesn't have a post office. Postal city names have various political factors behind them.

Quote:
-NYS also uses the Census data when determining exact hamlet borders (which can change slightly depending on Census). Additionally, when a hamlet decides to incorporate, such as Mastic Beach, the process refers to the current census to determine the new boundaries said Village will take on.
Again, an incorporation does not have to take place by hamlet boundaries. It can take on whatever borders the petitioners who seek the incorporation decide upon. Please see my previous post to see what these shifting, not clearly defined hamlet borders have done to my home's CDP according to FactFinder.

With enough time, effort, money, and political wrangling Cold Spring Hills could become an incorporated village named "Oheka Village," or whatever it wanted. It has nothing to do with the hamlet. I still fail to see the prime value you place on these unincorporated areas. As Sean pointed out, they are largely unofficial and have very little to do with anything - quite unlike one's zip code. Geographically, we all "live" in The Outer Lands terminal moraine archipelagic region. That information just about as pertinent to my life as what hamlet I live in.

Quote:
-Most businesses (eg- West Hills Animal Hospital) will also place the hamlet name in which they are located, into their official business name (notice "West Hills" animal hosp has a Huntington, NY 11743 mailing address)
Now you're reaching. The owners of West Hills Animal Hospital are very good friends of mine and I've been taking my dogs there for more than 20 years. I guarantee you they didn't name their business to defer to the primacy of hamlet borders. The animal hospital is on the south side of Jericho Tpke in the Huntington neighborhood "colloquially" known as West Hills. You'll find this neighborhood on mlsli.com listed as a "town." Within that stretch of W. Jericho you'll also find lots of business titled "Cold Spring...." and "Huntington...." Again, it has nothing to do with hamlet borders.

Many business in Huntington Village incorporate "village" into their names as well.

Quote:
4) Going by your Village, City or CDP (hamlet) name. This is 100% correct yet almost no one does this. It's really a duopoly here..your only choice is going by SD or ZIP which as stated is the status quo. So I can't see it changing anytime soon.

So like "minesbroken" stated, you can say whatever you please if it makes you happy, but that doesn't change the fact that you're technically wrong.
Ok, please stop. Yes, I am "technically" wrong. Huntington Village is not a "real" village as defined by the New York State Glossary of Terms.

I also did not have "sexual relations" with that woman Ms. Lewinsky either...

Quote:
People used the term Huntington and HV to describe their area back before the population of the Town exploded. Back then when the hamlets and villages in Town of Hunt had a few hundred people, it made more sense to do this. Now you've got nearly a quarter million people (900% increase in the last century) and each hamlet has at least 4-5k residents. It might make more sense to give your own hamlet a sense of identity. Remember, you're only as strong as your weakest wheel (hunt station). I personally would not want to be lumped into an entire town as my place of residence. And I find it a little absurd to use a hamlet name that is 5 miles away as "where you live". It makes a little more sense for someone in "Five-Towns" to do this where the hamlets/villages are still relatively small. It's an easy reference for people to grasp and everyone knows it is just a colloquial "Town".
I think one of the reasons we are disagreeing has to do with your motivation for hamlet deference and incorporation for purposes of "identity" and political empowerment. I find that the areas of "Huntington," like Huntington Village, have very strong and clear identities and unofficial political boundaries. As I said earlier, my neighborhood's civic association is quite powerful, as are neighboring associations. It's in no way whatsoever a perfect place (Huntington Station), but I find that most of my neighbors are very happy here - something which does not seem to be the case in other areas (if I am to believe what I read on these boards).

The idea that calling a historically defined place Huntington Village leads to political disempowerment is just silly. Historic names stick - again, see Greenwich Village or Long Island City.

I firmly believe that the majority of our local residents don't think Huntington Village is a municipality. I can show you people on the internet who don't know who the vice president is. That doesn't mean they're representative of a majority.

Also, the hamlet of Huntington is not "5 miles away" from me it's a 5-10 minute walk, depending on where the hamlet border is placed this decade.

Quote:
One other thing. You missed my point on the 11762/Matzahpizza perk question (which was intended to be rhetorical but you answered it). Now if the ZIP/mailing address is so valid, then why are there 24,000+ people in 11762 yet only ~18,000 in the Village of Massapequa Park, 11762?
Well you got me there. As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable about the South Shore. I would imagine it has something to with these nonconforming zip codes I've heard about. On a similar note, I do know that certain sections of South Huntington fall under the Huntington Station, 11746 zip - something that those residents take issue with.

Last edited by h-tonian; 11-29-2010 at 04:14 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
The more I think about it the more I realize the "town" preference might be a North Shore thing - as in people referring to Huntington, Oyster Bay, or Smithtown (a place I'm not very familiar with so I'll take your word for it) as "where they live." I'm woefully ignorant about the South Shore (which is why I stay away from commenting on it), so I'm really not sure why this is the case, but I would imagine it has something to do with the various (and older) "villages" and communities found along the Sound (as mentioned in a previous post). Although, as you pointed out, I've never heard anyone say they were from North Hempstead.

For these reasons, I think it's best to let locals talk about their "towns" when potential buyers or visitors ask questions. Long Island is hardly a uniform place.

I'm still not clear why they are "incorrect." I think going by your SD is fine. You can even go by your library or congressional district if you like. You "live" in all those "places," but as I said in my post (which is back up), your mailing address is what provides your home with an address, GIS coordinates, and an overall identity - something that is beyond relevant in the 21st century. It defines where you live.

Well that might be true, the Halesite post office is umbrellaed under the Huntington, 11743 zip code. You can list Halesite or Huntington as your city in 11743. You can also put Lloyd Harbor, which doesn't have a post office. Postal city names have various political factors behind them.

Again, an incorporation does not have to take place by hamlet boundaries. It can take on whatever borders the petitioners who seek the incorporation decide upon. Please see my previous post to see what these shifting, not clearly defined hamlet borders have done to my home's CDP according to FactFinder.

With enough time, effort, money, and political wrangling Cold Spring Hills could become an incorporated village named "Oheka Village," or whatever it wanted. It has nothing to do with the hamlet. I still fail to see the prime value you place on these unincorporated areas. As Sean pointed out, they are largely unofficial and have very little to do with anything - quite unlike one's zip code. Geographically, we all "live" in The Outer Lands terminal moraine archipelagic region. That information just about as pertinent to my life as what hamlet I live in.

Now you're reaching. The owners of West Hills Animal Hospital are very good friends of mine and I've been taking my dogs there for more than 20 years. I guarantee you they didn't name their business to defer to the primacy of hamlet borders. The animal hospital is on the south side of Jericho Tpke in the Huntington neighborhood "colloquially" known as West Hills. You'll find this neighborhood on mlsli.com listed as a "town." Within that stretch of W. Jericho you'll also find lots of business titled "Cold Spring...." and "Huntington...." Again, it has nothing to do with hamlet borders.

Many business in Huntington Village incorporate "village" into their names as well.

Ok, please stop. Yes, I am "technically" wrong. Huntington Village is not a "real" village as defined by the New York State Glossary of Terms.

I also did not have "sexual relations" with that woman Ms. Lewinsky either...

I think one of the reasons we are disagreeing has to do with your motivation for hamlet deference and incorporation for purposes of "identity" and political empowerment. I find that the areas of "Huntington," like Huntington Village, have very strong and clear identities and unofficial political boundaries. As I said earlier, my neighborhood's civic association is quite powerful, as are neighboring associations. It's in no way whatsoever a perfect place (Huntington Station), but I find that most of my neighbors are very happy here - something which does not seem to be the case in other areas (if I am to believe what I read on these boards).

The idea that calling a historically defined place Huntington Village leads to political disempowerment is just silly. Historic names stick - again, see Greenwich Village or Long Island City.

I firmly believe that the majority of our local residents don't think Huntington Village is a municipality. I can show you people on the internet who don't know who the vice president is. That doesn't mean they're representative of a majority.

Also, the hamlet of Huntington is not "5 miles away" from me it's a 5-10 minute walk, depending on where the hamlet border is placed this decade.

Well you got me there. As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable about the South Shore. I would imagine it has something to with these nonconforming zip codes I've heard about. On a similar note, I do know that certain sections of South Huntington fall under the Huntington Station, 11746 zip - something that those residents take issue with.
You raise some valid points. After learning about CDP though, I believe census is the more valid designation to an area (and would've created less confusion* if it were used instead of ZIP). I agree though, Huntington Village is a legit name designated to your downtown area and I could see how mailing address is valid. I do think it's good to know all aspects of your location (ZIP mailing address / S.D. / CDP-Village-City) especially when Villages (municipal corporations) come into play. Bottom line is the Status Quo rules on LI. And the majority of people (including myself) will use the customary name that the masses designate to a place.

*confusion using a random example: There are many blocks in the hamlet of South Farmingdale, that go to Farmingdale SD, yet have a Massapequa mailing address and are basically considered Farmingdale by locals. They will even show up as "Massapequa" according to MLSLI & other major real estate sites. You can find examples like this allover Long Island.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-29-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM

570 posts, read 1,209,620 times
Another lifelong Huntingtonian piping in here...

1) The idea that anything south of Fairview St is not the village, but the station is wrong. There are some places on the west side of Oakwood Rd, going to Pulaski Rd that are still considered "village" as their zip is still 11743. The east side of Oakwood, even up to McKay Rd, have station zips of 11746! Go figure.

2) An area on the farthest western edge of the Town of Huntington, south of Woodbury Rd almost over to Oakwood, used to be considered Huntington, had the 43 zip, went to Hunt schools. Many years ago, some of the residents there decided that they wanted to sede from Huntington and become part of CSH! Who knows why they'd want to pay those taxes, but they sure wanted the CSH schools and zip of 11724! Woodchuck Hollow Rd is the dividing line now. Crazy.

3) How can townships not exist here? Even when you vote, the areas are split by Town(ship) of Islip, Town of Huntington, Town of Brookhaven, Town of Babylon, Town of Riverhead etc!!! This is why many people say they live in Huntington, even though it may be Northport or Greenlawn or Huntington Station etc. Those are all "in" the township of Huntington!

4) The Huntington School District has problems every year with people filling in their tax forms incorrectly with the wrong code for their district! They end up with people from Harborfields mostly, putting in the Huntington code. Kind of screws up the income information needed by the state which determines how much aid the district gets. Also, people who are allowed (have to get approval by both school boards) to buy a square foot of their neighbors property which borders their own property, for the purpose of being able to switch districts, are probably confusing the state as well. They really live in one district yet their kids go to the neighboring one.

5) The station zip is 46, South Huntington is sometimes 46, sometimes 47, and Melville is 47 I believe. All in the Town of Huntington. Yes, it does get confusing, but people's sensitivity to "where" they are perceived to live, seems to dictate their belief of what their area's name should be, not what it actually is.

6) My aunt always lived in Bethpage. Then all of a sudden one year they were told they now had to use Plainview as their address - yet they used the Bethpage schools.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:06 AM

752 posts, read 1,456,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Another lifelong Huntingtonian piping in here...

1) The idea that anything south of Fairview St is not the village, but the station is wrong. There are some places on the west side of Oakwood Rd, going to Pulaski Rd that are still considered "village" as their zip is still 11743. The east side of Oakwood, even up to McKay Rd, have station zips of 11746! Go figure.

2) An area on the farthest western edge of the Town of Huntington, south of Woodbury Rd almost over to Oakwood, used to be considered Huntington, had the 43 zip, went to Hunt schools. Many years ago, some of the residents there decided that they wanted to sede from Huntington and become part of CSH! Who knows why they'd want to pay those taxes, but they sure wanted the CSH schools and zip of 11724! Woodchuck Hollow Rd is the dividing line now. Crazy.

3) How can townships not exist here? Even when you vote, the areas are split by Town(ship) of Islip, Town of Huntington, Town of Brookhaven, Town of Babylon, Town of Riverhead etc!!! This is why many people say they live in Huntington, even though it may be Northport or Greenlawn or Huntington Station etc. Those are all "in" the township of Huntington!

4) The Huntington School District has problems every year with people filling in their tax forms incorrectly with the wrong code for their district! They end up with people from Harborfields mostly, putting in the Huntington code. Kind of screws up the income information needed by the state which determines how much aid the district gets. Also, people who are allowed (have to get approval by both school boards) to buy a square foot of their neighbors property which borders their own property, for the purpose of being able to switch districts, are probably confusing the state as well. They really live in one district yet their kids go to the neighboring one.

5) The station zip is 46, South Huntington is sometimes 46, sometimes 47, and Melville is 47 I believe. All in the Town of Huntington. Yes, it does get confusing, but people's sensitivity to "where" they are perceived to live, seems to dictate their belief of what their area's name should be, not what it actually is.

6) My aunt always lived in Bethpage. Then all of a sudden one year they were told they now had to use Plainview as their address - yet they used the Bethpage schools.
I used to live on Huntington Bay Road, far east of the "Village", my mother still lives on Fleets Cove Road, both areas are 11743, are they still considered Huntington Village?
the 11743 zip code only means that you live in Huntington... Living in "the village" would imply that you live in the downtown area or the area within it's immediate surroundings. I don't believe that Oakwood road all the way up to pulaski would be considered "the village" unless you were willing to lie to yourself because you desperately wanted to live in "the village"
the fact remains that it isn't a "village" at all.
it is merely a downtown area.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Huntington, I was born and raised there, I lived on Knollwood avenue....NEAR "the village", Huntington Bay Road....FAR from "the village" and Soundview drive in Huntington Bay "an actual village" Then I moved to Northport FAR FAR from "the village"
I love Huntington
but I also love reality...
Huntington has a beautiful downtown area
but it's not a village.

also it is the "town of Huntington"
not the "township of Huntington"
according to Walter, there are subtle differences.
I trust his fact checking.
It pays to know about your area.
It just may not always be exactly what you want to hear.
But sometimes what we want and what we actually have,
are slightly different.
I don't believe that calling everything what it is
has any sort of negative impact on the actual area.
it's all good!

the other things that you have said about cold spring harbor and Bethpage.... quite fascinating, I never knew any of that before.
I always did enjoy learning something new.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM

33,333 posts, read 46,766,348 times
do LI schools teach about towns, hamlets, villages, etc?
once again dont mean to bash but is pretty ironic that the property tax goes toward the school district and these children arent even taught about where they live.
12K a year and they dont know where they live...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
do LI schools teach about towns, hamlets, villages, etc?
once again dont mean to bash but is pretty ironic that the property tax goes toward the school district and these children arent even taught about where they live.
12K a year and they dont know where they live...
No like someone posted it's more about school district. I went to Huntington High School and we definitely felt like the kids from Whitman HS which is - what? maybe 2 miles away? should not infringe on our turf!

As 7Catmom pointed out you can live in Huntington 11743 and go to South Huntington (Walt Whitman HS) - my sister lived on just such a street.

It is very confusing from a real estate standpoint, no matter what anyone says. I have a friend who lived on a street in Huntington Station (11746) when we were in high school. The people who lived across the intersection from her (but on the same road as her) went to Whitman. Go down her road the other way, cross the main road, and you were in Harborfields. Talk about confusing when you're house-hunting!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
the 11743 zip code only means that you live in Huntington ...
It means that a place has a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address, but is not necessarily in the Hamlet of Huntington, let alone in the colloquial "Huntington Village).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or part of the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Huntington, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Hamlet of Centerport, he Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Hamlet of Huntington Station.

A map of the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone:

And, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" and "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

Quote:
also it is the "town of Huntington"
not the "township of Huntington"
In many parts of the country, counties are sub-divided into townships and, many times, these townships are not sub-dividable, unlike in New York State where towns are sub-divided into villages, which are themselves municipal corporations.

Generally speaking, folks who call hamlets, towns, and thus can not call towns, towns, then refer to towns as townships, thereby compounding the error.

In my conversations with the Rufus Langhans, the past Town of Huntington Historian, I gathered that his greatest frustration was that the Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce would not change its name to the Town of Huntington Chamber of Commerce.
Attached Thumbnails
There is no Huntington Village (+Village vs Town vs Hamlet post)-huntington-ny11743.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island