Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Maybe 20 years ago, but not any longer, most of those areas are now Chinese and Russian.

Most of the Brooklyn Italians moved to Staten (Italy) Island, NJ and some like me have moved out to LI.

Once again - you are spreading misinformation, there continues to be a heavy population of Italians (read: speak, read and are culturally aware) in Southwest Brooklyn. Yes, there has been an exodus to Staten (read: Garbage Dump) Island, however good riddance as most of them are more American than Italian. Capische?

To answer the OP: Valley Stream, Garden City, Westbury, Massapequa, Lyndhurst, Babylon - basically, just about any town with the exception of Wyandanch, Central Booking , um, I mean Central Islip, and some of the other ruff and tumble weed hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 PM

94 posts, read 255,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Once again - you are spreading misinformation, there continues to be a heavy population of Italians (read: speak, read and are culturally aware) in Southwest Brooklyn. Yes, there has been an exodus to Staten (read: Garbage Dump) Island, however good riddance as most of them are more American than Italian. Capische?

To answer the OP: Valley Stream, Garden City, Westbury, Massapequa, Lyndhurst, Babylon - basically, just about any town with the exception of Wyandanch, Central Booking , um, I mean Central Islip, and some of the other ruff and tumble weed hoods.

Um considering I lived there until last year and I WAS THE ONLY ITALIAN LEFT ON MY BLOCK (BENSONHURST) I think I know a thing or two.

When I came from ITALY in 1982 you didnt need to speak English in many areas of Bensonhurst Dyker and Bay Ridge as many people spoke Italian in the streets. They were the predominant population in these areas, this is no longer the case.

I challenge you now to walk 86th street, 13th avenue, 18th avenue or 5th avenue and tell me what languages are spoken (Russian,Chinese, Spanish with some Arabic)

Is there still a large population of Italian or Italian/Americans in these 3 areas in Brooklyn it depends...They are now the minority to these other immigrants.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Commack used to be faux marble pillars and fountains back in the day - good chunk of it probably still is... The JAPs moved in and I'd say it's predominantly Jewish now. Many examples we could all come up with of towns changing over time.

Even then, the Italian Catholic presence is really all over. I mean Shirley has a pork store. It would be tough listing all the towns and probably easier to list the ones that "aren't Italian at all".

Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Um considering I lived there until last year and I WAS THE ONLY ITALIAN LEFT ON MY BLOCK (BENSONHURST) I think I know a thing or two.

When I came from ITALY in 1982 you didnt need to speak English in many areas of Bensonhurst Dyker and Bay Ridge as many people spoke Italian in the streets. They were the predominant population in these areas, this is no longer the case.

I challenge you now to walk 86th street, 13th avenue, 18th avenue or 5th avenue and tell me what languages are spoken (Russian,Chinese, Spanish with some Arabic)

Is there still a large population of Italian or Italian/Americans in these 3 areas in Brooklyn it depends...They are now the minority to these other immigrants.
Yeah, I would agree with this post. Brooklyn hasn't been a hot bed for Italians in quite a long time. Most of them moved to Long Island or New Jersey. Bay Ridge, is predominantly Hispanic, Indian, Russian, and Greek now. In fact, I would argue that the once vaunted and acclaimed Italian food from Brooklyn has dropped precipitously in quality in the past 20 years.

Even Aerio's in Bay Ridge isn't as good as it once was. It breaks my heart, with my family originally being from 80th & 5th, but it's true

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM

584 posts, read 871,236 times
the italians i know live in both ozone park, ny and valley stream, ny

Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Massapequa, especially North Massapequa has high concentrations of Italian-Americans.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In the extreme southwest part of of Long Island, in the New York City Borough of Brooklyn, from west to east, you'll find the heavily Italian neighborhoods of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst.
Actually these areas (with the exception of Dyker and Bensonhurst around
18th Avenue) are predominantly Russian and Chinese now. They have done a remarkable job of keeping up the neighborhoods and maintaining values, but they don't assimilate well. It's getting harder to find signs in English anymore.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Massapequa, especially North Massapequa has high concentrations of Italian-Americans.
How do you know that? Did you take a poll of the people in North Massapequa versus Massapequa?

Who is to say someone is Italian?

These areas are not the Eye-talian ghettos they once were when people from Brooklyn and Queens moved out in the great post-war urban exodus.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times
franklin square has to be about 80% italian

Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Amityville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island