Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 15,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
I took the Huntington line for my daily commute for a while. Never had any issues, almost everyone was dressed "business-like" and were well mannered. Going to the city in the morning the train was dead silent. It was GREAT!! I got to read or listen to my ipod without being disturbed.
The crappy part of my trip was packing into the subway heading uptown.
I guess it's just the line (Ronkonkoma). I get on really early and despite many empty seats (usually next to the window with someone on the aisle), no one really wants to move, they feign being asleep or look the other way. Seems to me getting to the empty seat is easier on the subway, and I've yet to see a younger person to defer to a senior stander (on my line). I cramp into the 7 train for 3 stops in the afternoon only, but being a big guy I can make room for myself. When I transfer in Jamaica, the train is packed and there's nowhere to even stand comfortably. I just think the element is different and prefer the subway. I reverted back to driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,301,988 times
I actually find the subway cleaner and more civil than the LIRR.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkaos10 View Post
On the subway, someone films it leading to an arrest and it goes viral.

On the LIRR, people watch and enjoy. If someone does film it, it's for personal enjoyment, and no one hears a peep about it.

I rest my case.
Well I once filmed a packed train on Halloween back in 2008, people were standing yet they had cars closed off so some off-duty crew could get some alone time.
I still havent heard the end of it. I still get belittled over the video by various crew and sometimes even threatened "I Better not see that camera".
Apparently they hate me because the crew of that train got in trouble. What, they think its OK to close off a car for themselves when fare paying riders have to stand?
Because of the video, the practice of closing off cars on crowded trains doesnt happen anymore.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
I took the Huntington line for my daily commute for a while. Never had any issues, almost everyone was dressed "business-like" and were well mannered. Going to the city in the morning the train was dead silent. It was GREAT!! I got to read or listen to my ipod without being disturbed.
The crappy part of my trip was packing into the subway heading uptown.
Well you dont take the weekend Huntington trains do you? Or off peak in the evenings heading to the city? Coming back from Suffolk, we start picking up FAT girls dressed like Prostitutes, usually at Huntington or Syosset. They are completely slizzard (like a G6).

Old 11-25-2010, 02:22 AM

15 posts, read 15,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninwestbury View Post
well you dont take the weekend huntington trains do you? Or off peak in the evenings heading to the city? Coming back from suffolk, we start picking up fat girls dressed like prostitutes, usually at huntington or syosset. They are completely slizzard (like a g6).

lmao

Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,416,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well you dont take the weekend Huntington trains do you? Or off peak in the evenings heading to the city? Coming back from Suffolk, we start picking up FAT girls dressed like Prostitutes, usually at Huntington or Syosset. They are completely slizzard (like a G6).
G6's aren't slizzard. They're fly, get it, because they're airplanes. Anyway if they are slizzared then that means they're drinking codiene and that just adds to our exploding opiate problem on the island.

For the record some things I have seen on the NYC subway which I take everyday that I have not witnessed on the LIRR.

1. A homeless person urinating in the corner of the car.

2. Human feces on the platform.

3. Bum fights.

4. Regular old fist fights between drunks.

5. A woman taking off her one of her high heels to attack a man she thought was touching himself.

.......and the list goes on and on I could be here all morning with this stuff, fact of the matter is LIRR is much cleaner, less smelly and with less unruly clientel (excluding the vomit comit) than the subway.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,234,589 times
I don't ever recall an empty car on the LIRR due to the smell of a homeless man or the dump he just took in his pants. The LIRR < NYC subway??? Laughable.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

532 posts, read 1,267,193 times
I do the Babylon commute during peak daily. Besides the irritation of seeing the guy or gal putting their sock feet on the seats. It's generally a quiet and civil commute.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,784,690 times
Haha , i can't stop laughing after reading this thread.....the LIRR sounds like its collapsing in both the service and social aspect..... I'm so glad NJT treats us with respect , quiet cars , wifi at select stations , all stations big and small have heated or air conditioned waiting rooms , where getting wifi on the trains and some stations are getting fast food joints. By the end of the decade we might get cafe cars , so take that LIRR....we also have 130mph express trains......vs. your whimpy 90mph express trains...

Old 11-26-2010, 02:34 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,755,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Depends on your line and where it terminates. I notice any line from Suffolk County, except maybe the Pt Jefferson line, usually has more than it's fair share of trash, druggies and blue collar do-dos.
Wow! I always thought the Babylon line was the goldenboy of the LIRR. But as you said, it terminates in Suffolk County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island